Gaming NO!! To Black/White screenies

CrimzonEyed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Seem like nintendo don't want us to post screen shots of Pokemon Black/White

Copyright infringement notices have been received by webmasters of several popular Pokémon fansites, in regards to content relating to Pokémon Black and White versions.
The first word of these was earlier today, when PokéBeach posted the following to their front page.
“ WaterPokémonMaster, PokéBeach Webmaster: We just got a letter from Nintendo (edited to remove personal info obviously) asking to take down all of our Black and White images or bad stuff will happen. I called the lawyer who sent the letter and he said he'll be making the rounds on other Pokemon sites as well and that they're doing an investigation. I was first on their list. I'm about to go out while Bangiras plays the game due to a family emergency but I have 24 hours to remove the images. Joy! Anyways, we'll continue to play the game and report what we find like we've been doing. Oh and the lawyer said he likes my site.
tongue.gif

-- PokéBeach
Together with this was posted an edited (to protect personal information) copy of the email notification they received, which reads as follows.
“ PokéBeach Copyright Infringement Notice:
URGENT & TIME SENSITIVE: IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED September 18, 2010 Registrant PokeBeach.com RE: Infringement of Nintendo of America Inc.’s Intellectual Property Rights
Dear Sir or Madam:
We are legal counsel to Nintendo of America Inc. (referred to here, with its parent and affiliated companies, as “Nintendo”). As you are no doubt well aware, Nintendo is one of the world’s leading developers and distributors of video game products. The Pokémon franchise is one of Nintendo’s most popular game series, and the upcoming release of the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White video games has garnered significant media attention. The intellectual property associated with the games, including the copyright in the underlying software code, visual depictions of the games, and characters found within the games, is the subject of copyright protection in the United States and abroad.
We recently learned that you have posted screenshots and other protected content from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games to your website at http://pokebeach.com. While Nintendo appreciates your interest in and support of the Pokémon game series, your publication of this content infringes Nintendo’s copyrights in violation of federal law. Your activity also and has the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo, and leaves Nintendo with no choice but to take steps to protect its intellectual property rights.
We have accordingly submitted a copyright infringement notice to your domain registrar under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and anticipate that your website will be taken down shortly. We encourage you to immediately remove from your website all graphics, screenshots, and other protected content taken from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games. Going forward, you must also refrain from posting any screenshots, videos, or other content that infringes Nintendo’s rights in the Pokémon series or any other game.
Your full and immediate compliance with the foregoing should render further action on Nintendo’s part unnecessary. It is essential that we receive your written response confirming that you have taken these necessary actions by Sunday, September 19, 12:00 p.m. PDT, however, or Nintendo will have no choice but to consider its alternative legal remedies.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss this matter in further detail. Nothing stated herein shall constitute a waiver of any rights or remedies of Nintendo of America Inc., its parent or affiliated companies, all of which are expressly reserved.

-- PokéBeach

Bulbagarden can now confirm that Joe Merrick (a.k.a. Serebii) of Serebii.net has also received an infringement notice. While he has requested that we not publish the notice in full, we have been permitted to see the original PDF notification that was sent to him. While there are some minor differences between the two, based on Joe being in the UK rather than the US, the content and format of the notices is for all intents and purposes identical to that received by PokéBeach.
Following further information posted in the discussion thread for this story on the Bulbagarden forums by WaterPokémonMaster, we are now confident in stating that this is not a hoax of any kind, and that these notices are legitimate. Both WaterPokémonMaster and Joe have since contacted the lawyer directly by phone. WaterPokémonMaster has made it clear in his statement on our forums that he does not wish to discuss the content of these discussions. The exact reasons for these notices having been sent to these sites are as of yet still not fully understood by Bulbagarden.
As of the latest edit to this story, Bulbagarden is still yet to receive any one of these infringement notices. We have not been able to confirm if any sites other than PokéBeach and Serebii have also received notices.
Source: Bulbapedia

Edit: Maybe should have posted this in user submitted news?

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess they don't want people to spoil the game before the NA/Euro release, but I don't think every website will remove their contents/screenshot.

Streisand effect anyone?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not gonna stop video's on Youtube. Personally it shouldn't matter. People who want it spoiled for them will look at them, those who don't simply won't.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They already removed their screenshots, at least on serebii (I didn't check the other one). Few days ago you still could see the new Pokemon, now the pictures aren't there anymore.

But I'm not that much surprised - when I saw B/W's new Pokémon few days ago, I thought:

"What on earth did they do to Pokémon?!! Those are not Pokémon anymore, that's just...something else branded under the name. T_T I mean, how can they pass gears and other things as pkmn of old?"

Although I was kinda hyped for the 5th gen, those new Pkmn change the mood and feel that the original series had even more. I say that they just don't have anymore the flourish and awesomeness they used to have ever since 4th gen, plus partially the 3rd gen.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wtf.gif

.......no seriously
wtf.gif

They must be ashamed of their own work, seriously I am a fan of pokemon the originals are still the best in my opinian with updated graphics they would be a sick addition to any gamers collection.

As for Pokemon Black & White, well....I'm not impressed, the graphics are pretty that's about it half of the new pokemon are practically digimon clones they can no longer be considered as "animals" (seriously gears?
wtf.gif
gtfo).
The new evolution animation......oh look there's digimon again.

Whilst they have their "perks" I'm seriously disappointed with this garbage.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ugh, fuck Nintendo...who wants to look at their horrible-designed Pokés anyway? rofl

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Release the game world wide at the same time and they wouldn't have the problems of leaked footage nor would they have as much trouble with piracy. Screw strategic marketing. The internet has made the world a very, very small place.

This reminds me of Lucas Arts suing people for making fan art and vids of Star Wars. Come on! This sort of shit generally just increases the popularity of the merchandise.

GlennTheMage

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's Nintendo's Problem with Screenshots anyway
blink.gif

Anyway I do like the game for it doing something else then facing the Gym Leaders,Elite 4 and then the Champion in the first part of the game
well Gym Leaders and the E4 you do face but then Interesting Plot twists are abound

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fel said:
They already removed their screenshots, at least on serebii (I didn't check the other one). Few days ago you still could see the new Pokemon, now the pictures aren't there anymore.

But I'm not that much surprised - when I saw B/W's new Pokémon few days ago, I thought:

"What on earth did they do to Pokémon?!! Those are not Pokémon anymore, that's just...something else branded under the name. T_T I mean, how can they pass gears and other things as pkmn of old?"

Although I was kinda hyped for the 5th gen, those new Pkmn change the mood and feel that the original series had even more. I say that they just don't have anymore the flourish and awesomeness they used to have ever since 4th gen, plus partially the 3rd gen.
they got away with flying magnets in the 1st gen, so why not?

i find it funny how such a large amount of pokemon seem to based on older ones.
grass starter: reminds me of treecko
gear pokemon: new magnemite
there are some others, but i can't name any without a proper list.
but i've seen a few re-do's like a new ralts/kirlia/gardevoir family(black psychic pokemon, final evolution looks like having a black dress), and is it really necessary to have another swan pokemon?

EDIT: how can i forget the new fat and thin ferrets? (redo's of furret and sentret)

EvanUnisil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There was some good ones in there, although some look too much like others and they keep following the same conventions. The dragon/flying three evo guy. The three evo bird/pidgey guy. Etc. etc.

And seriously, they need to stop making ice, psychic and steel guys look so stupid and retarded half (EDIT: 3/4's of) the time. Why do all psychic guys have to look so stupid? Abra and its evos are still some of the coolest. Be inspired, Pokemon creators.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anybody posting screenshots who was served shouldn't take them down, they should just inform the serving lawyers that their use falls within fair use guidelines of the DMCA regarding the use of portions of copyright work for the purpose of criticism/satire.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As I mentioned in the other thread, this action was seemingly brought on by PokeBeach and Serebii's use of unofficial sprite leaks; not those taken from the game (which came not long after), but scanned from a magazine that will presumably come out at some point. PokeExperto got a letter as well, since the webmaster there was the one who leaked the sprites (he apparently works for the spanish Nintendo magazine).

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
Anybody posting screenshots who was served shouldn't take them down, they should just inform the serving lawyers that their use falls within fair use guidelines of the DMCA regarding the use of portions of copyright work for the purpose of criticism/satire.
Unfortunately, I don't think fair use applies here. Posting detailed sprites of every pokemon and other information classed as intellectual property is illegal and Nintendo can sue for it.

Fair use would be using maybe 1 or a few Pokemon sprites of pictures in a review of the game, in art, or in some other media. It is kind of like "quoting" a source but without the need for credit.

Of course, Nintendo's action against fan sites here is not something they have done before. I think it may just be to stop game info leaking to the U.S. and potentially hurt their sales. After it is released in the U.S. it may be allowed again...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1