.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
So now it’s official: Microsoft's first-person behemoth Halo: Reach is the year’s biggest entertainment event, generating $200 million in sales in just 24 hours in the United States alone.
Halo Reach

That’s two-thirds of what Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 took in from the North American and U.K. markets in its first day last year, but it’s still a number that’s nothing to sneeze at. The one-day take already eclipses the three-day opening weekends of “Iron Man 2,” “Toy Story 3” and “Alice in Wonderland.”

While Microsoft is doing cartwheels, though, the rest of the gaming industry is nervously shuffling its feet. Despite a number of high profile releases, it hasn’t exactly been a banner year for game sales -- and the success of Reach might not help things.

The slump is due, in part, to the ongoing recession. But also deserving some of the credit is the lingering effect of Modern Warfare 2 – a game whose multiplayer component was so deep and so rich that it kept players hooked, reducing their need and desire to buy other titles.

Fatigue is finally starting to gradually set in for that game, but Halo: Reach may well pick up that mantle.

As much praise as the game’s single-player campaign is getting, it’s the rich multi-player mode that really has players excited. New armor abilities, new game modes and an impressive suite of creation tools have overwhelmed the Xbox Live user base with joy. And the game’s matchmaking service is working like a charm so far.

That’s a lot of reasons to play -- and could give buyers plenty of excuses to put off other purchases in the coming months.

“There’s always a worry that a game like that can take share and cannibalize other games,” says Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Lazard Capital Markets.

To add to worries, Call of Duty: Black Ops will be hitting shelves in less than two months – a one-two punch to other game developers. That could put a number of seemingly big titles on the bubble, their sales in jeopardy.

None seems in a more perilous position than EA’s Medal of Honor. The battle that was shaping up between the rebooted military shooter and Call of Duty was already a tough one, but with Halo: Reach potentially impacting people’s buying decisions, the game could face an even tougher challenge. (The game's controversial decision to allow players to fight as Taliban forces in multiplayer might not help, either.)

Medal of Honor is actually scheduled to hit shelves well before Black Ops, but it has been three years since the last version – and Call of Duty has become the industry’s biggest seller in that time. The hope, in part, was that the Call of Duty fan base would buy Medal of Honor as a placeholder while waiting for the release of Black Ops – but they could be too busy with Reach to do so.

Meanwhile other titles like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Tron: Evolution, which all would normally appeal to the same general demographic, might be overlooked entirely.

“I see Halo: Reach creating a vacuum in multiplayer,” says Billy Pigeon of M2 Research. “I expect it will have an effect similar to ‘Modern Warfare 2’. People will be playing online and may not buy other games.”

Source

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shortest campaign in my experience ever... Also one of the most epic ones as well.

I have to say, it is a big improvement over Halo 3 and it's well deserved hype as well. I don't see myself being totally occupied with it however. I also see myself renting it to my various friends and such very soon. I also play COD more than it because it's multi player is better than Halo's in my opinion. FireFight is the only gem I see myself playing actively in Reach. I also have several other single player games reserved as well; Two Worlds II and Dark Dawn are my most anticipated ones.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically if we were to actually do the math Halo outsold MW2 for the xbox..cool. also I don't know how anyone can actually play MW2's multiplayer its complete rubbish. halos multiplayer is at least somewhat more balanced which make for a more enjoyable time at least in my experiences. but besides the point the reason why other companies are having a hard time selling their games is because they are all JUNK! make better games that should fix your problem.

/rant.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
So making good games hurt other bad games? Lol
tongue.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, and Pokemon Black and White are generating millions of dollars.
smile.gif

Oh well, it seems that these tactless games are just what stupid Americans need. :/

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Yeah, and Pokemon Black and White are generating millions of dollars.
smile.gif

Oh well, it seems that these tactless games are just what stupid Americans need. :/
Games = Stupid 'Mericans? I am confused, as Americans don't need games at all.
wink.gif
Or fast food for that matter.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Delta517 said:
So making good games hurt other bad games? Lol
tongue.gif

I know, right? As an industry, the video games have become a total joke in the past 5 years especially when it comes to ensuring diminishing returns for the consumer. I mean, that's capitalism, it's to be expected, but it still doesn't make me feel any better about companies removing content from games so that they can sell it as downloadable content, milking franchises, and deliberately planning games so that they are finished quickly. It's unfortunate, but you can't really do much other than support the games that are worth supporting (which most people on here don't do, but that's another discussion altogether).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And like all the other past Halo games, the fad will wear off very quickly and by the end of October there will be thousands of used copies on store shelves across North America. Halo 3 had an abysmal trade in rate that it diminished the value of the game at a faster pace then any other game, Reach will be much of the same within a month or so when people are sick of it.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
And like all the other past Halo games, the fad will wear off very quickly and by the end of October there will be thousands of used copies on store shelves across North America. Halo 3 had an abysmal trade in rate that it diminished the value of the game at a faster pace then any other game, Reach will be much of the same within a month or so when people are sick of it.
What? I personally never liked halo 3, but I wouldn't say it was a 2 month fad lol. Many people still play halo 3 online, and when I traded it in to gamestop less than 6 months ago I received ~$30, which is much more than any other game I traded, including COD4 which I got ~$15 for.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Halo...I never got into it. An elitest of all shooting games, people who get the munchies can't go without one day playing a multiplayer mode unless they have something better else to do. Personally, I perfer the air.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Halo...I never got into it. An elitest of all shooting games, people who get the munchies can't go without one day playing a multiplayer mode unless they have something better else to do. Personally, I perfer the air.
If you want customization of your multi player gaemz then reach no further than... Reach. xD

I however like the Call of Duty franchise much better than the Halo franchise. People will actually die with a 1 on 1 confrontation, and usually a person will die before their team mates notice. I have gotten ganked so many times on Halo by someone who would run me into the midst of his team... Then I jump on to then next level, only to have 2 plasma grenades plastered on my ass... The kicker was that they were arguing over who got that kill.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s