0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was just reading through some off topic threads, and saw the things some people thought worth complaining about (Apple press releases, really?) I was just browsing the net the other day, and I saw a few things that really made me very angry at my former country, the USA. First, the Discovery hostage taker. Not the act so much, things like this happen a lot, but rather the general reaction to it after it ended. I was reading an article on it, in several places. It seems all anyone could do was blame the opposition political party for it, like the right saying "goddamn treehuggers, see this is what liberalism leads to" because the media referred to him as an "environmentalist," and the left saying "look at what right wing nazi ideology leads to" etc because he was fervently anti-immigration (as per his rambling website.) If anyone stopped to actually read his manifesto, they would figure out that he wasn't political, he was just fucking nuts! It seems this is the way most stories are going, even ones that are in no way politically related. This, combined with the now almost blatant racism and discrimination against Hispanics and Muslims all over the country (random violent attacks on both, as well as the Pennsylvania mosque site arson/shooting) and the attempted legislation to remove their constitutionally given rights (like building a cultural center/mosque/school on property they own.)

tl;dr
the US is overly politicized , and widespread, overt racism/discrimination is going on without appropriate public condemnation.

The other thing that made me angry was a video from Wikileaks. It depicts a US helicopter gunship in Iraq killing civilians and 2 Reuters reporters. Later on in the video, after they've killed most of the people from the first group, they then fire on a van picking up one of the injured from the first attack because "they were collecting weapons." In fact, the only weapon I could see was an ak47 one man in the group had, which isn't unusual for protection, and it was never fired at the chopper or allies. This video clearly shows American pilots committing war crimes. It is also quite sick, listening to the pilots literally begging to shoot and kill human beings. Of course, the military hid the video, rating it classified, but a military analyst leaked it and he is being charged, not the pilots. I think he is a hero, exposing obviously illegal actions, but instead of outrage at the video, most comments I have seen are people defending it, and demonizing the analyst. This is something all Americans should be outraged about, but most are ignorant and most of the rest, indifferent. This attitude just sickens and saddens me. If you want to watch the video, I've posted it below. Maybe the replies to this post will change my mind about the American attitude, or maybe it will harden it. I just needed a rant, thanks for reading!

Warning, graphic content!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
You've just summarized a whole bunch of reasons why I want to move out of the country as soon as I finish my degree. Well said.
Yeah, me too.

If they want to take away MY constitutional rights, HELLO Canada/Britain.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I absolutely love how people can be so outrageously angry about something that's not even worth thinking about. (I'm not talking about you, you're the opposite.)

I can't believe what a bunch of filthy scumbags are in the American army (probably other armies too, but I only know of this). They shoot innocent people for fun, try to hide the facts, and when a brave and honest person finally has the courage to leak that information to the public, he gets charged. That clearly shows how the US army is just trying to cover up their crimes and fails miserably.

If that man gets a sentence in prison, but not the pilots of that helicopter, I seriously have no more hope in this world.

On another note: have you seen where the WikiLeaks servers are hosted now? Absolutely incredible and ingenious if you ask me.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
I absolutely love how people can be so outrageously angry about something that's not even worth thinking about. (I'm not talking about you, you're the opposite.)

I can't believe what a bunch of filthy scumbags are in the American army (probably other armies too, but I only know of this). They shoot innocent people for fun, try to hide the facts, and when a brave and honest person finally has the courage to leak that information to the public, he gets charged. That clearly shows how the US army is just trying to cover up their crimes and fails miserably.

If that man gets a sentence in prison, but not the pilots of that helicopter, I seriously have no more hope in this world.

On another note: have you seen where the WikiLeaks servers are hosted now? Absolutely incredible and ingenious if you ask me.
Why is it that the only intelligent people I know are online? :Sigh:

rancor01

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sk8tokyo.com
XP
Country
I felt the same as you guys, and took action. Believe me once you leave the old country behind, you're gonna come into contact with a whole new set of problems. I wont get into it, but Japan makes me want to scream at the inefficiency, groupthink, wrong-headedness, and often times flat out racism. I left USA 6 years ago, and lately I've been having real considerations about going back. The grass is always greener I suppose.
wink.gif

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
rancor01 said:
I felt the same as you guys, and took action. Believe me once you leave the old country behind, you're gonna come into contact with a whole new set of problems. I wont get into it, but Japan makes me want to scream at the inefficiency, groupthink, wrong-headedness, and often times flat out racism. I left USA 6 years ago, and lately I've been having real considerations about going back. The grass is always greener I suppose.
wink.gif

I moved to Canada about a year and a half ago, so far the only real complaints are the slow ass bureaucratic government, new hst tax, and the police response to the Toronto G8 protesters.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only want to stay in America because I need to finish the school system.

I'd prefer not to start high school again. That... would suck. Bad.

funkymonster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point is, there's going to be problems everywhere you go. Maybe to not the same degree, but something somewhere is gonna tick you off. No one is ever going to be completely 100% satisfied with how a country/nation is run. That's wanting idealism. Or in other words, a utopia.

The only way someone would be ok with it is if they were filthy rich and had influence in the government themselves, and I doubt any of us hold that position of power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1