Homebrew safe to use NesDs on dsi xl with supercard dstwo?

spleenandpie

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
so is it safe to use nesds on dsi xl with supercard dstwo?

apparently people are have issue with it like screen damage and dsi menu getting messed up.

iv looked around and could not find a clear yes or no answer

also some people say if you use a non sdhc micro sd card (1 to 2 gigabytes) that it works fine but on sdhc cards (4gb and up) is were the problem happens.

could some one please clarify. thank you

spleenandpie

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
For the first there's no way nesDS could have done that. No flash cart has write access to the DSi's internals.
For the second, the one they mention as possibly damaging the screen isn't even nesDS, it's another emulator and even then they say it's a slight chance.

Whenever something goes wrong, people will blame whatever they were using at the time.

D

Deleted-236924

Rydian said:
For the second, the one they mention as possibly damaging the screen isn't even nesDS, it's another emulator and even then they say it's a slight chance.

Have you even read the thread?

Also, the SCDS2 plugin thread right there on GBAtemp specifically says not to use nesDS with DSi XL.
Something about the screen refresh rate killing the screen.

spleenandpie

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Assuming the different NES emulator didn't use an odd refresh rate, it'd be safe. The sticky should have more info.

the sticky just said: "Warning:Do not use NesDS on a DSiXL."

but i guess that means no nes emulation on dsi xl with supercard dstwo. That really sucks cause one of the reasons i got mine was to play nes games on that awesome huge screen.

i cant really use nesterds cause it doesn't run at full speed

also i think its just with the supercard dstwo that this problem happens cause this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbd-aUDO48w

shows a guy using nesds on his dsi xl (can tell its nesds cause of the menu on the bottom screen) with no problems but from his other videos i can tell hes using the toptoy dsi.

so if im not mistaken this seems to only happen on the supercard dstwo. well if i really wanted to i could just buy a cheap dsi flashcart just to play nes games.

D

Deleted-236924

spleenandpie said:
Rydian said:
Assuming the different NES emulator didn't use an odd refresh rate, it'd be safe. The sticky should have more info.

the sticky just said: "Warning:Do not use NesDS on a DSiXL."

but i guess that means no nes emulation on dsi xl with supercard dstwo. That really sucks cause one of the reasons i got mine was to play nes games on that awesome huge screen.

i cant really use nesterds cause it doesn't run at full speed

also i think its just with the supercard dstwo that this problem happens cause this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbd-aUDO48w

shows a guy using nesds on his dsi xl (can tell its nesds cause of the menu on the bottom screen) with no problems but from his other videos i can tell hes using the toptoy dsi.

so if im not mistaken this seems to only happen on the supercard dstwo. well if i really wanted to i could just buy a cheap dsi flashcart just to play nes games.

It might be only SCDS2.
But what about using nesDS without the plugin?

But still, I wouldn't use nesDS on a DSiXL, regardless of the cart.
Why would it happen only with SCDS2 and not on any other cart?

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
it happened to my Dsi XL using SC DSonei card and nesDs with super mario bros rom

my little niece been playing it until we eat BBQ she came and left my console inside house on pause with this damn game running..

after that i had my top screen burned with lines of the coin, time and stuff from the rom

so it happen not only with Dstwo, but i think only with dsi XL because of some refresh rate issue, or displaying fixed image for long time

since then i disable flicker to none in the display emu options of the nesds and avoid to keep my console open with any game on paused status

never seen this problem anymore since! i think safe for normal use of any game.. tough i check after my niece whenever she use my XL now ^^

edit : the burned image disapeared after i left my console alone for a few 4-5 hours off power

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LCD screens don't get "burn-in", they exhibit "image retention". It's almost the same thing, but with image retention, the effect eventually fades as you play other games. Burn-in is permanent, but it really only affects CRT and Plasma TV's, not LCD's.

Image retention in LCD displays (and burn-in on CRT's and Plasma's) has been minimized quite a while ago, so it kind of surprises me that the DSi XL has issues with it this far along in the technology.

At least that is my understanding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.