• Replies 23

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is awesome! oh wait, can't see the 3d in a youtube video
frown.gif

it is good to see that its coming though, adn that the 3ds has the power.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Delta517 said:
I can't wait for this game!
biggrin.gif

Please let MM come with it too...
tongue.gif
No... No, I don't think so. See, Nintendo has two greatly beloved and memorable games that use the same engine. One is being ported. And that includes the engine. Sure, it would probably take relatively little effort to transform their OoT port into a MM port, but why should they? Why should they release two such games at once, when they can release them a year a part and get probably nearly twice the money?

I wish that they would, and I'd be willing to be that we'll see MM on the 3DS at some point, but I highly doubt they'll be packaged together.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
Brian10122 said:
Not gameplay, just part of the 3D tech video. He's clearly not touching the buttons.
Actually, you play the game via 3D slider.
We know you eventually will, but this is a tech demo presentation is what he meant. You can't yet control the game, it's just that cinematic opening. Slider will obviously be used in the final game. This topic is a little misleading. It's very nice to see the tech demo they showed off at E3, but there's no gameplay is the point. No one is actually playing the game, it's just a little cinematic showing the opening.

On topic though, i'm probably one of the few people who can really see a fair graphical improvement. I've heard a lot of debate by Zelda fans about this. I am sure the game is going to look a lot different when it finally releases, but i can already see a lot of improvements. In my personal opinion, the game would probably look at home on Dreamcast from what i've seen so far. I'll list some of the things i've noticed that improved the character models from the original.

For reference, a few screens-
99784220100617screen001.png
ZeldaOOT_personnagePrincipal_epona.jpg
3linksgame.jpg

1- Epona's saddle strap now has a dedicated model now. Instead of just having strap textures on the horse model itself (meaning flat 2D objects with little depth), they actually modeled the saddle straps to be 3D models. You can tell this by seeing how Epona's neck actually juts out of the saddle strap. It's no longer a bland texture

2- The saddle itself is modeled with more detail. It juts out more where Link sits, having a far more curved look. Much higher polygon count than before.

3- They added some more hair to Epona's mane overall. There's about twice as many polygons there now. Specifically towards the front, there's a couple of new hair polygons jutting forward, as opposed to the original which were all pointing towards the back. There's more hair back there as well.

4- Moving on to Link now, his hair shows a lot of smoothness now. No longer just a jagged polygon, his bangs are far more curved and smooth now. His ears as well. There is more to his his now as well, i think they added some more bangs to the back of his head. His nose and cheekbones are far more curved now. Mouth and eyes look like they actually might be animated as a model now, and not just a texture which swaps out for different emotions. The entire head is far less jagged and has a more natural curve to it, actually resembling a real human head now.

5- Link's tunic is far more detailed. Noticed his collar, which now has real modeled flaps instead of shaded textures. His sword sheath now has a strap that is swung across his chest (which they didn't even have as a meager texture in the original).

6- It's hard to see from the 3 pics i provided, but they now modeled Link's full pants right up to his waste now. The tunic isn't just a polygon blob, but resembles actual cloth that is set over his pants and legs now.

7- Link's fingers may or may not be individual models now, it's hard to tell from the way he's gripping the saddle with his fist. We'll know someday, but they do look a bit more detailed. His limbs overall are more details. You can see the knob of his knees and elbow better now.

8- Link's boots are one of the biggest changes you will notice right away. On the original, they just used his leg models and imposed flat muddy textures over them. In this new model, they modeled his boots to be dedicated models and they are no longer textures. They're thicker than his legs and feet now, their edges are quite smooth. They even modeled the tops in the same way as his collar, where the top part of the leather sort of flaps over the strap. Suffice to say, they actually look like actual boots, instead of being an ugly brown texture covering his body.

Other than those things though, the textures are far superior overall, they're no longer a blurry muddy mess. Shading is a lot better as well. OOT already had dynamic lighting, but it's even further improver here as you can see from the light source and lens flair. I actually do expect them to make even more changes in the future. I believe one of the developers had mentioned in an interview at E3 that they weren't quite finished with the model. The game is bound to look a lot better in the final.

Lastly, i can tell from the tech demo that they've improved the framerate. The original OOT ran at about 20 frames per second, which was extremely choppy. I hope they jack it up to 60, or at least 30. It makes for a much smoother experience. Anyways, long post is long, so i'm done.

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
I think i prefer the original adult link model, even with all those sharp angles
tongue.gif

The rest does look nice though.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dobz said:
I think i prefer the original adult link model, even with all those sharp angles
tongue.gif

I don't get how you can prefer the original. Look at the thing, it's creepy as shit. Eyes are really creepy. They changed the model to be more like the official artwork, and it looks far better for it. Beats me how you can prefer jagged edges and creepy eyes over a more natural looking model...

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
dobz said:
tongue.gif

I don't get how you can prefer the original. Look at the thing, it's creepy as shit. Eyes are really creepy. They changed the model to be more like the official artwork, and it looks far better for it. Beats me how you can prefer jagged edges and creepy eyes over a more natural looking model...
the more high-res link gets, the more he looks like a girl
tongue.gif

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bwillb said:
granville said:
dobz said:
tongue.gif

tongue.gif

dobz

Trophies
XP
Country
bwillb said:
granville said:
dobz said:
tongue.gif

tongue.gif
Lol, kinda...

You know what would of been better (well, to me)? is if they used toon link and WW's graphical style , THAT would make things more interesting for me, rather than simply improving the textures, i expect a bigger changes in a remake, but I suppose the 3d's something. I'd love to see how he would look as an adult. Toon link has character.

Of course I know this would never happen, just imagining.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
dobz said:
bwillb said:
granville said:
dobz said:
tongue.gif

tongue.gif
Lol, kinda...

You know what would of been better (well, to me)? is if they used toon link and WW's graphical style , THAT would make things more interesting for me, rather than simply improving the textures, i expect a bigger changes in a remake, but I suppose the 3d's something. I'd love to see how he would look as an adult. Toon link has character.

Of course I know this would never happen, just imagining.
If that happened, I would break into Futureshop and BURN all of the copies of OoT they had.

NONONONONONONO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate