Homebrew Sega CD, Not a coder, but has it just been made more possible?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I know there's a lotta "wheres sega CD on ds" topics, but I have a theory (which COULD be false, I'm not sure, about the possibility of such an application.)

As far as my average expectations on possibility, I'd expect...

50-100% speed
about 50% compatibility (see below)
No movie-games display support (night trap, opening/ending in sonic CD, etc) As cool as it would be, it just doesn't seem likely for CD video to run in an emulator unless specially coded in .dpg, and I have NO idea how that would work.

So, yeah. Another topic about this. But here's my Idea.

Nitrografx runs CD games, right? Huge breakthrough! It is the first emu to run cd-based games that I know of.

Even more, it runs them at a really good speed!

Now, I KNOW tg16-cd is FAR below Sega CD, but has the fact that a CD-based system emulator on DS has been released that another can be?

Would be cool if someone'd answer, kinda curious.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Hey, I know there's a lotta "wheres sega CD on ds" topics, but I have a theory (which COULD be false, I'm not sure, about the possibility of such an application.)

As far as my average expectations on possibility, I'd expect...

50-100% speed
about 50% compatibility (see below)
No movie-games display support (night trap, opening/ending in sonic CD, etc) As cool as it would be, it just doesn't seem likely for CD video to run in an emulator unless specially coded in .dpg, and I have NO idea how that would work.

So, yeah. Another topic about this. But here's my Idea.

Nitrografx runs CD games, right? Huge breakthrough! It is the first emu to run cd-based games that I know of.

Even more, it runs them at a really good speed!

Now, I KNOW tg16-cd is FAR below Sega CD, but has the fact that a CD-based system emulator on DS has been released that another can be?

Would be cool if someone'd answer, kinda curious.

It's not necessarily the fact alone that it's a CD-based system.

The Sega CD has it's own separate processor. The Genesis emulator doesn't work perfectly on the DS as it is, and it would take quite a bit more to emulate the Sega CD (not to mention, I think (correct me if I'm wrong), it would need to load all of the information off of the CD at one time, as opposed to how the Sega CD actually works by pulling information out as it needs it. CDs hold more information than a cartridge would)

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The Sega CD has a whole extra 68000 running even faster (12.5MHz) than the Genesis alone (7.67MHz). Based on how the DS can emulate one slower 68k, I doubt even if someone took the time to make an emulator for the Sega CD it would run tolerably at all.

If you want Sega CD on the go though, the PSP has perfect Sega CD emulation.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see.

So the extra processors (which seem to be part of the genesis system in the first place) would be too much for the DS to handle. I'm guessing the 12.5 mhZ processor would have to be combined with the 7mhZ Genesis processor.

..I don't think anybody's even coding for the DS anymore, cept for DSx86 and now and again something from flubba.

Well thanks for explaining to a noob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome