The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Knights in the Nightmare for PSP announced by Atlus
October 19, 2010 - $29.99
box.png

(Tiny NA box art, Will replace it when something better shows up.)

QUOTE said:
ATLUS TO BRING BULLET-HELL RPG KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE™, “THE MOST ORIGINAL RPG OF 20091,” TO PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) SYSTEM THIS FALL

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — JUNE 17, 2010 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today revealed that the critically acclaimed Knights in the Nightmare™, a groundbreaking tour de force of bullet-hell action and strategy roleplaying, is set to release for PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system in North America this Fall. Hailed as a “once-in-a-lifetime experience2,” Knights mixes frantic, energetic action with thought-provoking tactical gameplay, all within a beautifully-rendered fantasy setting presented through a captivating, emotional narrative.

“We’re proud to bring one of the most unique roleplaying experiences in recent memory to PSP system this fall,” commented Aram Jabbari, Manager of Public Relations and Sales. “The many improvements this new version brings aside, Knights in the Nightmare, at its core, is one of those must-play gaming experiences, combining sumptuous 2D art and animations, a moving story, and some of the most novel combat mechanics ever into an irresistible portable package.”

Enhanced to take full advantage of the power of PSP system, this new version of the game features remastered visuals and sounds, optimized controls, and a new opening movie from visionary director Yukio Takatsu (Persona 3, Persona 4, Yggdra Union). Originally, players could choose from two different characters with two unique perspectives on events. This new release adds a third character, Princess Yggdra, offering even more replay value and shedding more light on the game’s enchanting narrative. Moreover, this release further expands on what was already one of the deepest, most substantial tutorials of all-time, giving players introductory missions filled with instructions and tips, making the game’s learning curve easier than ever. Dripping with style and originality, Knights in the Nightmare delivers an unforgettable experience.

Knights in the Nightmare is scheduled for release on October 19, 2010 with an MSRP of $29.99. For more information, visit the official website.

1 RPGamer.com, Best of 2009 Awards
2 GameZone.com

###

About Knights in the Nightmare
Somewhere between heaven and the underworld—in the center of a quiet lake—stood an ancient castle known as Aventheim. Without warning, denizens of the netherworld emerged and slaughtered the kingdom; nary a soul was left alive.

Within an abandoned, long-forgotten church deep in the woods, the Wisp is set free. Bereft of memory, it is drawn toward the monster-infested castle and re-awakens the souls of the vanquished knights, leading them back towards the fallen stronghold to confront the very forces of evil that took their lives.

Key Features

* An experience unlike any before it — Incorporating strategy RPG, real-time strategy, and shooter elements, you’ve never experienced a game like this. Control the Wisp and activate the souls of deceased knights to aid you in destroying foes on the map. Enemies fire bullets in multiple directions, making it vital for players to master the precise controls.
* Over 100 characters to recruit — Find and recruit the ghosts of seven different classes of knights from your kingdom, and learn of their pasts, hopes, dreams, and untimely deaths. Sacrifice their souls to one another to balance their skills and create your ultimate party.
* A tale thrice told — Exclusive to the PSP system version, the addition of Princess Yggdra as a third playable character means that gamers can experience the game’s dark and brooding tale through three unique perspectives, making for more replay value than ever before.

Knights in the Nightmare has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

Source: Atlus

Better graphics and a new character, Looks better than the DS version for me and since i skipped that version, I probably will get this one
biggrin.gif

Contributed by Uzumakijl

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This always looked interesting to me, but since my DS was broken I couldn't play it. Might pick it up for PSP then.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I thought this was announced a while ago.

I really didn't like Knights in the Nightmare at all. 2 hours of tutorials is insane and it didn't really add up to much.
Uh if you watch the First Steps section you're all set to start. The first levels are really easy and if you need more info on any aspect the tutorials are always there. You're not supposed to watch all of them before playing it at all, as some gameplay elements don't come into play until a few missions in. The "omg tutorials" thing gets annoying after a while. The story is also balls amazing, especially towards the end.

Also I'm concerned as to how a PSP version will play. I'm assuming Wisp control will be with the analog stick, but I wonder if it'll be sensitive/fast enough. They might have to make it a tad easier to compensate for no touch screen.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still never got around to playing Knights in the Nightmare for the DS. I'd probably end up loving it because its complicated and its an SRPG.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^That. I'm mostly concerned about navigating the wisp around fast moving bullets with the analog nub. Touch screen was one thing, as it was point and click and drag, and such, but an analog stick? Well, it'll be interesting (frustrating), that's for sure.

I loved this for the DS. I probably won't pick this one up, only because I've already purchased and completed the DS one. Good to see that PSP owners will be getting their hands on this gem, though.

And yeah, the tutorial was long, but unless you went through every single blip, you should be done in under half an hour, if that long. You really only need the First Steps.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still surprised people find this game, "too complicated". There's a lot to know (as seen from the tutorial), but while playing through the game, the gameplay was never overwhelming. The mechanics aren't all that complex. It really isn't. I stopped around 8 hours in. I should get back into it.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
some people dont like complicated games but they want to learn as they play... such a game has a much lengthy tutorial than what would be an average tutorial time
a great game still and i guess PSP may have an easier control scheme... u cant keep pressing buttons to move from one player to another or do a certain task

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it's just that some people want simple portable games. KitN was very in depth, and required more than just a quick power on and go. Plus, some people aren't interested in learning a game before playing it, and just want to dive in. I personally think this is one of the best games in the entire DS library.

It didn't take long at all to learn, and most of it you pick up as you go. As stated already, I don't see this working very well without the touch screen. You NEED that kind of control for this.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The game isn't even really complicated. When you first start out, all you need to know is three things.

1. Dodge the attacks
2. Drag weapons from the side to the character, then let them charge then attack
3. Change between Chaos and Law when the fog is getting thinner.

I honestly see it as people that are too lazy to play it.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he meant to put emphasis on the "nub" part. Unlike an extended analog stick, the psp nub is insanely short and much more stiff, and it's a bit harder to control smoothly (and harder on the hands), especially when compared to a direct input method, such as the stylus.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
I think he meant to put emphasis on the "nub" part. Unlike an extended analog stick, the psp nub is insanely short and much more stiff, and it's a bit harder to control smoothly (and harder on the hands), especially when compared to a direct input method, such as the stylus.
If you think that's hard, try a keyboard with no acceleration control.

Much harder games have been beaten with far less suited input methods.

Uzumakijl

Trophies
Website
www.uzumakijl.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Mexico
PharaohsVizier said:
While not complicated, you have to admit it would be impossibly hard with a joystick nub.

Well, if you've seen the trailer:

The "soul" has a decent speed and so, And it doesn't seems "that" extreme (I suppose it gets harder as you advance though) in comparison to harder games like this one:

^That being perfectly playable in a PSP
biggrin.gif

It may be kinda hard at the start, But i'm sure everybody can get the hang of it after playing for a while.

And thanks to the staff for moving this and Etrian Odyssey III to Scene news/Front page.

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard about it in Japan but not much of the US, or even of the extras. Yggdra being playable? Now that's interesting.
Don't have a DS or a PSP though
mellow.gif

Sting always makes some nice remakes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1