wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
mascot.gif
UK's Digital Economy Bill
Voted into Law
digitalbritain-019238109823.gif

The UK's Digital Economy Bill has been voted into Law. The bill brings with it "compulsory internet disconnection for persistent internet pirates and making owners of publicly accessible Wi-Fi hotspots liable for piracy committed on their connections" For more information see the news blurb linked bellow.

Special thanks to Antoligy via IRC for the news!​

icon11.gif
News "Blurb"
discuss.png
Discuss

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
Maybe companies need to look further into why people pirate so that people wouldn't do so and these ridiculous laws wouldn't have to be implemented.

They just don't got the balls to do so, well most of them, however there were studies in Japan on why and how many people pirate. The percentage of pirates was quite high.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm scared this will happen in the US. I don't want to think of no movies, no games, no music, no TV shows, no software...

"compulsory internet disconnection" sounds terrible! You wouldn't remove someone's hearing for copying a CD

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
im scared of this, one of my best rom sites uses a uk server, i hope that doesnt affect them, would this bill actually allow people to track pirates in the us if they used uk servers?

Nope, this is a UK only bill.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doesn't make any difference, only the idoits will get caught.

The DS makes this interesting as people drop their routers back to WEP, and as we know WEP takes very little time to crack. One of my neighbours has their router using WEP security...

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
Doesn't make any difference, only the idoits will get caught.

The DS makes this interesting as people drop their routers back to WEP, and as we know WEP takes very little time to crack. One of my neighbours has their router using WEP security...

well theres a solution. if people start using their neighbor's internet, they will have to stop this bill.
edit: 3 cheers for proxys and ssl !

11gardir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It doesn't need to go through the House of Lords: it started there (see http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2009-1...taleconomy.html; the discussion last night was the third reading in the House of Commons). It just needs to be granted Royal Assent (and it will be) now to become law.

What a farce.

...and while I'm at it, bye bye GBAtemp.
frown.gif

EDIT:

I might be wrong; TechCrunch seems to be suggesting that it needs to go through a 3rd reading in the Lords. However, considering it will almost certainly pass this and we don't elect them, it's not really any good.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hop2089 said:
squirrelman10 said:
im scared of this, one of my best rom sites uses a uk server, i hope that doesnt affect them, would this bill actually allow people to track pirates in the us if they used uk servers?

Nope, this is a UK only bill.
...but if it passes, the bills with similar effects that are being debated in other countries will be more likely to pass.
Such as ACTA.

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pcmanrules said:
I'm glad the similar bill was declined here. We'd only find new ways, I used to grab load on my school internet which was brilliantly fast. How would they react to that? or internet cafe's?

That's the problem, we may even stop getting free wifi hotspots due to this. Also, I work at a university with wireless internet all over for the students. I expect most of these download whilst here so we will have to see the consequences this has....

I still cannot believe such a thing passed here, I am truely disappointed, and saddened by this.

Also very annoyed.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
pcmanrules said:
I'm glad the similar bill was declined here. We'd only find new ways, I used to grab load on my school internet which was brilliantly fast. How would they react to that? or internet cafe's?
theres still hope, it can still be overturned (public are outraged)

also, if its passed here, likelihood is it'll pass over there soon enough.

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antoligy said:
pcmanrules said:
theres still hope, it can still be overturned (public are outraged)

also, if its passed here, likelihood is it'll pass over there soon enough.

I agree, if the outrage is voiced enough (as so it is now) we may have a chance.

I was just doing some reading into this. The good news is that we will have at least one year until this comes into effect from Royal Assent. There will also (apparently, though I'm not sure I believe it) public debate after the election on this (during the year before it is put into law). Also, this will be open for the next Government to look into, spend more time, or cancel this bill during that year.

Hah, unless this gets refused Royal Assent
tongue.gif
. I remember from college, the last Royal to reject a Bill was Queen Anne I think in like 1608. Since then the Royal's stopped reading the Bills and just read the overview and signed it. Such a shame really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.