Hacking how to play gamecube ISO/ROM's on a wii?h

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, how do I play gamecube roms/iso's on a wii console? I know I can with a wode but I'm not dropping 200 and my wiis mobility over it.

Are there any emulators needed or how does that work?

Thanks in advance.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Det1re said:
cMIOS + GC Backup Launcher + ISO's burned on disc.

+ cIOS (sure I read thats needed too for cMIOS)

If you download them you might get .gcm files, just rename the extension to .iso
This is sometimes a common Q with peeps new to GC backups, also a lot of scene releases are not .rar but .001, .002 etc You can join these type files with winrar, 7zip etc

Some other common Qs....

Can you fit more than 1 on a DVD ?
Yes, get an app called GCOS or GC Multi maker. They can be shrunk down from the 1.4GB so you can fit quite a few on a DVD

Can you save to SD card or NAND ?
No you need a GC mem card.

Can you play the games with a WiiMote ?
No you need a GC pad.

Do they work from USB ?
Not a softmod solution, you need hardware for that (but looks like you googled that already
smile.gif

Can you play them on a pc ?
Yes, get dolphin.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
Det1re said:
cMIOS + GC Backup Launcher + ISO's burned on disc.

+ cIOS (sure I read thats needed too for cMIOS)

If you download them you might get .gcm files, just rename the extension to .iso
This is sometimes a common Q with peeps new to GC backups, also a lot of scene releases are not .rar but .001, .002 etc You can join these type files with winrar, 7zip etc

Some other common Qs....

Can you fit more than 1 on a DVD ?
Yes, get an app called GCOS or GC Multi maker. They can be shrunk down from the 1.4GB so you can fit quite a few on a DVD

Can you save to SD card or NAND ?
No you need a GC mem card.

Can you play the games with a WiiMote ?
No you need a GC pad.

Do they work from USB ?
Not a softmod solution, you need hardware for that (but looks like you googled that already
smile.gif

Can you play them on a pc ?
Yes, get dolphin.

Thank you so much for the specific and very helpful information, I have a few questions though:

I don't quite understand "Do they work from USB ? Not a softmod solution, you need hardware for that"

Do you mean I would need something like the WODE? Or could I copy them onto my 1tb external hard drive and run them from that?

Regarding above question, if you can't run from USB, is the only way to run it through a disk?

Thank you.

(Also, I apologize for the bad grammar in the title and the post, I wrote them on my phone, I'm on my PC now.)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah you need sometihng like a WODE to play from a HDD.
Softmodding will let you play from dvd no probs though
wink.gif

I'm gonna go google this flatmii fusion you talk about Wiisel
tongue.gif

hmm, it seems crap...what's the point in it ? To play games from dvds ? From the website I can't see anything cool

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I'm going to look into playing backups from disks.

I hope sometime in the future something is released to play GC games from an HDD without any type of hard-mod.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
flatmii fusion adds iso's from sdhc.
sundrivers adds internal sata but takes away the drive
wode has sd, usb & dvd loading with a portable drive and and wode attatched to the wii it really wont remove that much portability from the wii it just means taking the stand and hdd with you.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info Wiisel.

imho the WODE is the best choice, but that's just my opinion.
I'm really, really wanting a couple of WODES, but moneys a bit tight just now.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah WODE has to be the best option on the market at the moment for none disc loading of GC It may pay to wait for the WODE Elite or Lite depending on your needs or alternatively SUN-HD and Flatzii are comming.

As a mod and a WODE user tho I should say get a WODE lol

jbogart1973

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wiisel said:
Yeah WODE has to be the best option on the market at the moment for none disc loading of GC It may pay to wait for the WODE Elite or Lite depending on your needs or alternatively SUN-HD and Flatzii are comming.

I want to play my GC game roms but i dont want this WODE thing (no disc backups) on my 4.3 wii but if im understanding u right ur saying there is no app or emulator of any kind out there that will do that ?
And any one know why u can play other roms games like atari 2600 coleco etc,.... but not GC Games?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jbogart1973 said:
Wiisel said:

I want to play my GC game roms but i dont want this WODE thing (no disc backups) on my 4.3 wii but if im understanding u right ur saying there is no app or emulator of any kind out there that will do that ?
And any one know why u can play other roms games like atari 2600 coleco etc,.... but not GC Games?
Easy there with the necrobumping, man. You never know what kind of outdated info you may dig up.
tongue.gif

At the time that was written (little over a year ago), that was correct. New wii's shipped (and still ship) with drives that don't read backup discs, and wode WAS the only viable option. For a while, there was talk about Crediar working on DIOS MIOS, which was a software only solution...but the project got scrapped not long after it was proven to be not impossible (in truth, however, it was just too complex).
...but since then, there is a new way: it's called swiss. But before I tell more about that, I have to answer your other question:

these games are emulated. This means that the application pretty much creates the exact same structure as the original platform. The process of doing that, however, requires a much more powerfull machine than the original machine was. Two or three times as powerfull is no exception, and even then, things aren't always as smooth. It also depends on the architecture of the machine you DO have. The PSP, for example, isn't that more powerfull than a PSX, but because the hardware is so similar, it can be emulated more easily.
The gamecube, obviously, was quite a powerfull machine. Not as powerfull as the wii, but any "full emulation" would cause even the simplest of games to slow down to a crawl. As such, the only way to get gamecube games to work on the first place is to use the similar architecture and alter that to have the exact same structure as the original platform.
And the gamecube didn't have USB ports. As such, they simply cannot be found. It's the same reason why you can't use wiimotes or classic controllers (the gamecube didn't have bluetooth modules).

So...with nothing but the original gear of the gamecube available, what CAN you do? Simply put: use the gear that the gamecube had. And that's what swiss does: it uses an SD gecko, plugged in a GC memory slot, to load the games from an SD card.
swiss is actually gamecube homebrew. But it works on the wii just as well. provided you have an SD gecko (which costs as low as 5 bucks at certain places). For info, check the tutorial section: there's at least one good guide about it.

Philly_Cheese

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haloman800 said:
Thank you so much for the specific and very helpful information, I have a few questions though:

I don't quite understand "Do they work from USB ? Not a softmod solution, you need hardware for that"

Do you mean I would need something like the WODE? Or could I copy them onto my 1tb external hard drive and run them from that?

Regarding above question, if you can't run from USB, is the only way to run it through a disk?

Thank you.

(Also, I apologize for the bad grammar in the title and the post, I wrote them on my phone, I'm on my PC now.)

The reason they cannot load from SD or HD is because the gamecube didn't have either of these. When a GC game is started the Wii shuts off all access to everything the GC didn't have and slows down the processor to 400mhz basically turning it into a gamecube. From a software aspect the wii becomes identical to the gamecube, without some kind of hardware to get around this nothing can be done. Unfortunately softmods have been attempted to make gamecube games run through SD/HD but all of them have failed badly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head