Gaming Wii Games of the Month: January 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is similar to the old "Wii and DS releases of the week" we had a while back, but it's for the whole month. I'll make a different thread for both Wii and DS releases as well, since I don't want to overcrowd one thread.

You can read the DS version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.

- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaq, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Developed by: Grasshopper Studios
Published by: Ubisoft (America), Rising Star Games (Europe), AFA Interactive (Australia)
Release date: January 26th
My Hype Level: ZOMG!
GBAtemp Hype Level: IDK, no one has really talked about it

No-More-Heroes-2_Wii_BXSHT_RETAILboxart_160w.jpg

I for one LOVED the first No More Heroes. When I heard of a sequel I may have came. Anyway, the game follows Travis Touchdown a few years after the events of No More Heroes, where he sets out to rejoin the ranks of the United Assassins Association to avenge the death of his friend. The game totes an impressive 50 bosses (some grouped together), as well as more sidequests, 3 playable characters (Travis, of course, Shinobu, a previous boss from the last game turned Travis' ally, and Henry, Travis' twin brother), and much more. If you liked the first NMH, odds are this will be all that and the kitchen sink.

Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

Developed by: Namco (Project Aces)
Published by: Namco Bandai
Release date: January 12th
My Hype Level: Looks good, I'll try it for sure
GBAtemp Hype Level: Not a lot of chatter, but it's anticipated

Sky-Crawlers-Innocent-Aces_Wii_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

Since Wii flight action titles have been nothing but shovelware for the most part, this is a much needed title. It's based off the Japanese anime film, The Sky Crawlers, and features WWII-esque airplanes, meaning no fancy crap like lock-on systems and missles, I think. It's developed by the same team who did all the Ace Combat games, so expect good things from this.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Developed by: Eighting
Published by: Capcom
Release date: January 26th (North America), January 28th (Japan, this is as Ultimate All-Stars, as it was already released under Cross Generation of Heroes), January 28th (Europe)
My Hype Level: Meh. Not a big fan of fighters or anime. This has both
GBAtemp Hype Level: Relatively high. There was quite a bit of chatter about the Japanese release, I think.

ultimate_all_stars_wii_esrb_capcomboxart_160w.jpg

This is another crossover fighting game, like SNK vs. Capcom and Marvel vs. Capcom, but this time with Tatsunoko (who I didn't know before this game) characters and Capcom characters. It's got a big roster and should please anime fans, as well as 2-D fighting enthusiasts. I'm still surprised that Capcom put FRANK FUCKING WEST in there over some of the badass Resident Evil characters like Leon Kennedy or Krausser. I mean, c'mon, I've seen Leon whip out some devilish martial arts. Frank West is just a journalist. We might as well have Ted Koppel in there while we're at it.

Walk It Out

Developed by: Konami
Published by: Konami
Release date: January 12th
My Hype Level: Kill me now God! You hear me! YOU FUCKER! YOU FUUUUUCKER!
GBAtemp Hype Level: About on-par with mine.

walk-it-out_WII_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

For fuck's sake Konami. They're trying to push the DDR pad as an alternative to a Wii Balance Board with shitty games like Active Life: Extreme Challenge as well as this pile of feces. Seriously, I can just take a fucking walk outside, where you can appreciate nature or the city as well as plug in an iPod or something, and God forbid actually go somewhere to do something productive, like work where I can get enough money to fill the whole this hunk of junk left in my wallet. Run-on sentences aside, my mandatory pun for this game is "It's better to just walk away from this game".

Marines: Modern Urban Combat

Developed by: Destineer
Published by: Destineer
Release date: Conflicting data. Some places say January 12th, some places say TBA.
My Hype Level: It's Destineer
GBAtemp Hype Level: CoD4 rip-off (it's actually not)

Marines_Box-Shot-HR_US_Wii_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

Little did I know this is supposedly a Wii port of a PC/Xbox game called "Close Combat: First to Fight". So this isn't exactly a CoD4 ripoff, since it was released before CoD4. Still, it's definitely aimed to grab CoD4 fans. Anyway, the game is developed by Destineer, the brilliant publishers behind such high-quality games "My Horse and Me", "Homie Rollerz", and "Animal Boxing". They did publish Zombie BBQ, though, which was a cool game, and Age of Empires III for the Mac, which is Age of Empires.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Developed by: Capcom
Published by: Capcom
Release date: Unknown date in January (North America), January 26th (Gyakuten Saiban 2, Japan)
My Hype Level: OBJECTION! I already have this on the DS...
GBAtemp Hype Level: They like Ace Attorney.

Phoenix_wright_logo.jpg

Why Capcom seems to insist on porting Ace Attorney left and right is beyond me. I could see the "enhanced" DS ports because they weren't in America, but WiiWare seems kinda pointless. Sure, it's only like what, $10, but I'd much rather have it on-the-go. It does now have motion controls though, if that means absolutely anything in a point-and-click adventure game. I'd personally save the Wii storage space (since it's oh-so-precious) and just pirate all the games for the DS.

Side note on the game: The North American release for the FIRST game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, is unknown but due for January. The SECOND Phoenix Wright game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: And Justice for All, is set for Japan in January 26th. The FIRST game is already out in Japan. Last time I checked though, the Japanese versions have an English option, so you can pirate it now if you wish.

Overall Summary

Considering how quiet the Wii's releases have been for the past few months (NSMB Wii excluded), this isn't a bad month. We get at least 3 solid games out of it, including my ever-loved No More Heroes sequel. We can always give a few laughs to Walk It Out, too.

As for next month, it's rather quiet outside of Red Steel 2. There's still Shiren the Wanderer hitting North America shores, though, and the little known but awesome looking Zangeki no Reginleiv hitting Japan.

Have a fun January everyone!

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just cant wait for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars and No More Heroes 2...

Hmm these maybe?

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Endless Ocean Blue World

Alice in Wonderland

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [Wiiware]

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty good month considering how the last few months have been.

I'm not so sure about Sky Crawlers but i'm sold on NMH and TvsC.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jazvdb said:
I just cant wait for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars and No More Heroes 2...

Hmm these maybe?

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Endless Ocean Blue World

Alice in Wonderland

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney [Wiiware]

Lego Harry Potter is kinda in limbo for a release date.

I may have skipped over Endless Ocean, my bad.

Alice in Wonderland is scheduled for a March release according to most sites.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and forgot about Ace Attorney (since I thought the Japanese WiiWare has an English option).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Only game I'm looking forward to is Sky Crawlers. It's apparently out in PAL territory in February 2010.
It got a 7 from Nintendo Power, so shouldn't be too shabby
tongue.gif

Thanks for the write-up, I really like these threads.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guildy locks can take over these, got no problem with that.

I played the PC version of Close Combat: First to Fight recently and its pretty good actually, whether Destineer has bothered to port it well as Marines: Modern Urban Combat is another matter.

Want No More Heroes 2 so badly, hoping what was wrong with the first game will be fixed. Sky Crawlers is supposed to be very good, great controls but apparently the cutscenes are lengthy like Metal Gear...good for fans of the cartoon but not for us who just want to get on with it.

Still play the Japanese version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom but there is more than enough new stuff in the Western release to warrant playing that one too.

Endless Ocean 2 isn't out until February.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am0s said:
roll on no more heroes 2,Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is that the english translated 1 or is a whole different game?

Ultimate All Stars is the localization of Cross Generation of Heroes. Apparently it has some added content as well (and thusly is being re-released in Japan).

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Occasionally I load NMH1 to try to like it. Then about 45 seconds later I go back to another game. I'm amazed anyone gives half a fuck about NMH1, let alone why on earth they'd make a sequel.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ossot said:
Occasionally I load NMH1 to try to like it. Then about 45 seconds later I go back to another game. I'm amazed anyone gives half a fuck about NMH1, let alone why on earth they'd make a sequel.

Some games you like, some games you don't. I loved NMH, you didn't. Simple as that.

The first NMH got pretty positive reviews anyway and the sales were decent. At first, the sales were rather poor in Japan and America, but Rising Star did and excellent advertising campaign and Europe and got some great sales, not to mention that the game is so damn cheap nowadays that sales are probably better. I picked up my copy of it for $20.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Am0s said:
roll on no more heroes 2,Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is that the english translated 1 or is a whole different game?

Ultimate All Stars is the localization of Cross Generation of Heroes. Apparently it has some added content as well (and thusly is being re-released in Japan).

cool thx for the info, might have to get that when its available I liked cross generation had some good retro characters in it like geforce battle of the planets characters and some others which I dont recall

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ossot said:

Same. I appreciate the idea behind it, but can't get into it. Doesn't help that it looks like absolute shit on my big LCD. Something about the stylized graphics that make it look extra bad, not that any Wii title that tries to do semi realistic 3D looks good, but NMH is even worse than usual.

I'm looking forward to Sky Crawlers, and I'd love it if the Lego Harry Potter game came out. I'm a sucker for that lego shit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
Ossot said:

Same. I appreciate the idea behind it, but can't get into it. Doesn't help that it looks like absolute shit on my big LCD. Something about the stylized graphics that make it look extra bad, not that any Wii title that tries to do semi realistic 3D looks good, but NMH is even worse than usual.

Well, it's a very odd-style cell shading. It can be a turn off for some people. Like I was playing Okami on my Wii, which I think looks gorgeous (the gameplay... not so much), and my dad said "Isn't this kinda an ugly game?" I guess it's just opinion.

Anyway, there'll probably be a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom dump soon, assuming today is the shipping day. It's a popular enough game with some Americans that odds are one kind soul will buy it and dump it. It's not something I'm super excited for, but it looks like an interesting fighter.

In other news, I'll try to nab a NMH 2 pre-order soon.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
First 3 sound really good... didn't know about the Project Aces flying game for wii, may not be best, but I'll try it. Other two (NMH & Tatsunoko.v.Capcom) I'm 100% sure I'll get right in to... loved the first versions of both (yes I know TvC is just a slight upgrade, but nice to have in all english with few more characters). Endless ocean could be a fun time waster too... first one was ok.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo