OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm trying to figure out how to find the text in this game:
Hayate no Gotoku! Boku ga Romeo de Romeo ga Boku de
(Hayate the Combat Butler! I am Romeo and Romeo is I)

1366.jpg

Basically, I didn't want to just request a game translation and hope that someone would pick it up.. Instead, I wanted to try and actively pursue a translation of the game. Any help with the following would be appreciated since I'm a noob when it comes to rom hacking.. I realise the game might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm asking for help regardless.

I unpacked the rom using dsbuff, and got a variety of NFP files.. which I have no idea what to do with. I've tried googling the filetype a LOT.. after doing some research I figured out it's usually used to pack ps1/2 games :wtf: I think hardly any ds games use it. I've read that it's possible to change the text wholely using a hex editor (i know what hex is but it wouldn't be the most efficient method..)

i24nd3.png

EV.NFP
SPC.NFP
Anyway, if ANYONE could try and help me extract the text from the game.. or something to that effect, it would be much appreciated.
The game seems to be a linear text-based game, and I have a couple friends who would be willing to do the translation (one of them is a fan of the manga), so that aspect isn't a problem. I would just love if someone could crack this filetype for me :/

Reactions: hayate891

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, an early game that did not use the SDAT format straight up..... this is rare.

Anyhow as you suspect it is a large custom file format on top of the nitro rom file system, not unheard of but notable none the less.

Jumping right in, fairly tough one although a quick search says this is not the first time it has been used on the DS:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119880

It might be better to try and hit up someone from that thread as they are inevitably going to be further than I will get with 20 minutes of poking around.

Good news: basic header matches that thread as far as I can see.
Bad news: you have lots of compression to deal with (standard BIOS compressions located in a quick scan of the file- crystaltile 2 handles it well enough and poking around the binary I even see SWI calls to it all), I am looking at a nice 8 bit per pixel GBA format image though. Please forgive the awful JPG compression, I was too lazy to do it in anything other than paint.

demoromeo.JPG

I repeated it a few times and found quite a bit of stuff in various image formats. Some possibly interesting news on that front, I pulled a file from on the chr nfp file, uncompressed it and fed it into my tile editor. It was standard 8bpp tiles (looked like a character- think phoenix wright sort of thing: http://swizard.files.wordpress.com/2008/03...e-maskless.png) but it looked like it would have had a layout file with it.

suruz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Wow, an early game that did not use the SDAT format straight up..... this is rare.

Anyhow as you suspect it is a large custom file format on top of the nitro rom file system, not unheard of but notable none the less.

Jumping right in, fairly tough one although a quick search says this is not the first time it has been used on the DS:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=119880

It might be better to try and hit up someone from that thread as they are inevitably going to be further than I will get with 20 minutes of poking around.

Good news: basic header matches that thread as far as I can see.
Bad news: you have lots of compression to deal with (standard BIOS compressions located in a quick scan of the file- crystaltile 2 handles it well enough and poking around the binary I even see SWI calls to it all), I am looking at a nice 8 bit per pixel GBA format image though. Please forgive the awful JPG compression, I was too lazy to do it in anything other than paint.

I repeated it a few times and found quite a bit of stuff in various image formats. Some possibly interesting news on that front, I pulled a file from on the chr nfp file, uncompressed it and fed it into my tile editor. It was standard 8bpp tiles (looked like a character- think phoenix wright sort of thing: http://swizard.files.wordpress.com/2008/03...e-maskless.png) but it looked like it would have had a layout file with it.

First of all, thanks a lot for replying. Its good to know the format isn't unheard of, so theres a chance of being able to crack it.

And I get now that chr.nfp is the portion that contains the character portraits.

I tried playing the game though (=pressed A repeatedly) and the game is mostly text based, and there's very few graphics that need to be changed. The options menu is half in english already too, so I just need a text extractor (yeah that's definitely asking a lot, but I have no experience with hacking, just want to edit the text.. >:)

Out of curiosity, did u find which file contains the text, or is it too heavily compressed to know?

I'll try asking psycoblaster whether he's made any progress with the other game.. Thanks a lot for the help
wink.gif

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My advice, but you might want some help with the compression before anything else...
To me, it looks like FAST can help you with that, unless he is busy with his own work.
Crystaltile doesn't work on my computer, and I suck at compressions, too.
Looks like the pointer table part of the newer format is compressed or something. If I know how to decompress that, then building an extractor won't be too hard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas