Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is based off of my offline guide to upgrade any console (that has NOT been region hacked) to v4.2 safely. This is a modification of the Shop Channel and IOS61 Installer by tona. It has been rigorously tested and should not brick anyone, but as usual, use it at your own risk. Source included of course.

It will detect your region, download and install all of the NECESSARY IOSes, your specific system menu, and the shopping channel update from v4.2 It will NOT touch your cIOSes, stub anything, or touch your boot2. It also will NOT trucha sign any of the IOSes it downloads and installs. If you want to pirate, you'll have to go ahead and use DOP-IOS or similar to trucha patch your IOS70 after the upgrade is complete
smile.gif

It is almost completely automated. Answer a question in the beginning, sit back and relax, and wait for the update to be completed. When finished, you'll be on v4.2 with everything functional (no upside down HBC, no "vulnerable IOS not found" errors). This should hopefully eliminate all of the goofy issues people have been having with the upgrade.

Thanks to Dr.Clipper for MUCH help
smile.gif
Enjoy
smile.gif

http://sharebee.com/59c72d77

IF YOU HAVE A REGION HACKED WII (IE: YOUR WII WAS KOREAN AND YOU HACKED IT TO REPORT AS A USA CONSOLE), DO NOT PERFORM *ANY* V4.2 UPDATE. NOT THIS OR THE ORIGINAL NINTENDO UPDATE!

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will i be able to finish this installer with only a GC controller? i have a sick wii that will not sync wiimtes and i cant get through any of the other updaters for that reason.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
will i be able to finish this installer with only a GC controller? i have a sick wii that will not sync wiimtes and i cant get through any of the other updaters for that reason.

Did you try to clear your wiimote syncs?

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Volky said:
You are able to use this to update from any version, or does it have to be a certain one?

Any version, any region
smile.gif
You just need an internet connection. Think of it as an official Nintendo update...minus the CRAP.

rockbmi

Trophies
XP
Could you give more info on how to use DOP-IOS or similar to trucha patch the IOS70 after the upgrade is complete, as many people will be reluctant to upgrade without this knowledge, also does this update affect preloader, CiosCorp and playing VC games and Wiiware games from the SD Card.
Thanks anyway great update.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendolinky said:
Could you give more info on how to use DOP-IOS or similar to trucha patch the IOS70 after the upgrade is complete, as many people will be reluctant to upgrade without this knowledge, also does this update affect preloader, CiosCorp and playing VC games and Wiiware games from the SD Card.
Thanks anyway great update.

Use DOP-IOS v8. Navigate to IOS70 and click A to download, A again to sighash patch (trucha). Done!

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a good idea.

Firmware updates should be just like the N updates that leaves alone the cIOSes.

If you want other things after the update, change it yourself.
smile.gif
You can do most things with a cIOS installed.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. You should really already have your cIOSes installed (249, 222, 223) before performing this update btw. So that way you'll be all set with your loaders and if you need to trucha IOS70 when done, that'll be as easy as using 249 to do it.

Also, make sure you have HBC 1.05 installed before the update as well. Remember, v4.2 system menu deletes the old HBC. Not a big deal if you forget however, as you can always use bannerbomb when done and get the HBC v1.05 installed, but why worry about it later?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Yep. You should really already have your cIOSes installed (249, 222, 223) before performing this update btw. So that way you'll be all set with your loaders and if you need to trucha IOS70 when done, that'll be as easy as using 249 to do it.

Also, make sure you have HBC 1.05 installed before the update as well. Remember, v4.2 system menu deletes the old HBC. Not a big deal if you forget however, as you can always use bannerbomb when done and get the HBC v1.05 installed, but why worry about it later?
+1
added link to my guide btw.
and congrats on the 1k posts.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
A warning: the updater does not check for free space. Ensure you have a good chunk of space (250 blocks) on your Wii before attempting this.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
+1
added link to my guide btw.
and congrats on the 1k posts.

1k already? Wow...

I've been a member since 05, but didn't really start "talking" until maybe a year ago
smile.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(Dr. Clipper @ Oct 6 2009, 08:29 PM) A warning: the updater does not check for free space. Ensure you have a good chunk of space (250 blocks) on your Wii before attempting this.

Thanks for the tip!

Folks, without this fine gentleman, NONE of this would have been possible
smile.gif

toss01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nice work... quick question for the slow... why would I need to trucha IOS 70? (assuming I have all the CIOS I want already installed)

what ability would that give?

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toss01 said:
nice work... quick question for the slow... why would I need to trucha IOS 70? (assuming I have all the CIOS I want already installed)

It allows to you move VC/Wiiware to the sd and launch from there. If that doesn't concern you, you really don't have to worry about it.

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
toss01 said:

It allows to you move VC/Wiiware to the sd and launch from there. If that doesn't concern you, you really don't have to worry about it.

Just like we had to install a "Patched IOS60" 4.0?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed