User Submitted News posts - 100+ postcounts?

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nothing big but it prevents people from posting questions and give misleading titles.

For example, having a title "Play DSL games without a cartridge" can be a very misleading title and give false hope when the topic was basically to get your attention for a question.

Just a suggestion. No biggie.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ca_michelbach said:
N = P x W

N is the number of noobs, P is popularity of the forum & W is the world idiocy level. This should help us work out the number of noobs!

Wrong, noobism has an exponential growth factor: N=P^(W*Pi)

where Pi is not the mathematical constant Pi, but Pikichu, because any inclusion of something new in the world of pokemon drasticaly increases the noob count.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Regional Idiocy Level is a better indicator and Average user age must also be factored in.

N=(P^(R*Pi))/A-Nu

Where Nu corresponds to the number of new games released or announced that day.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
what if someone wants to break important news but they don't have an account on GBAtemp yet?
frown.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
One suggestion would be to have the threads be approved by a member of staff before it is publicly visible.

This instantly solves any useless threads being created (i.e. news that ISN'T gaming related).

On the flip side it will mean the majority of "breaking news" not being shown instantly.

You could even expand on this idea and allow the ratings of such threads with the highest rated going on the portal. How this is implemented would require some thought however (e.g. how to minimize joke votes).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I do not believe in any kind of collective punishment. And limiting people that does not post much/lurk/don't have too much time to spend here is not something that sounds fair to me. They are all good Tempers, maybe just not as talkative/active as the rest, should they then be punished for what a few other Tempers have done?

In case you din't know the answer to that question, then let me tell you. It is NO, they should not be punished.

Look at things this way, out of all the news articles submitted there, how many of them are these kind of threads?

Not a lot of them I'd like to say and it certainly isn't a big problem. And if one shows up there every now and then, is that really a problem? All you have to do is report the thread and ask for it to be moved to an appropriate section.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Minox_IX said:
Look at things this way, out of all the news articles submitted there, how many of them are these kind of threads?

Not a lot of them I'd like to say and it certainly isn't a big problem. And if one shows up there every now and then, is that really a problem? All you have to do is report the thread and ask for it to be moved to an appropriate section.

I was going to say this, it doesn't seem like a huge enough issue to justify that sort of action.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Being a lurker myself, I'd say if such a system were implemented due to rampant abuse, the filter would need to be of the nested if variety, checking 'post count' as an initial check followed by 'time since the account was activated' to allow the lurker/rare poster in good standing through the filter. Though then you might just get sleeper bots to bypass the checks.

Also, possible code impacts for normal postings and during the heavy use times might be an issue. Would the forum code allow a "new post" button in the user submitted news section to have it's own call for the specialized filter code while leaving the standard new post alone and completely oblivious? Wouldn't even a 'is this new post in the user submitted news section' check added to the standard new post button pose a problem in high traffic times?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality