wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
G.O.R.F. v5 BETA
Update
gorfcap.png

This is a GBA homebrew port of G.O.R.F., a 1981 arcade game released by Midway. Please see the included readme file for more information.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Project Post
icon11.gif
G.O.R.F. WIKI
discuss.png
Discuss

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! This is Jess Ragan, lead developer of GORF for the GameBoy Advance. I've heard both glowing reviews and distressing reports about my software, and I'd like to resolve the latter as quickly as possible. Word on the street is that the game doesn't work with 3-in-1 cartridges due to a faulty header. I'd like to know more about this... I wrote the game in a high-level programming language (Jeff Massung's Dragon BASIC) and never thought to examine the binary in a hex editor. Could you explain to me what's wrong and what you did to fix it?

Since I have no experience with ASM and very little with C++, I can't resolve the problem on my own, but I can talk to members of the GBAdev.org community, who can rewrite portions of the Dragon BASIC compiler and prevent problems like this from occurring in the future. One member, DWedit, was kind enough to dig deep into the compiler and rewrite its vertical blank commands to make them more energy efficient. After I compiled the program again with the new build of Dragon BASIC, I noticed HUGE improvements in battery life on the actual hardware. I'm sure that he can address the header issue as well, but I need more information about it first.

Thank you for your time!

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a header issue, then it might be just a simple matter of running it through an auto-fixer program. The "GBAfix.exe" program that comes with DevKitARM can do this (type "gbafix game_name.gba" into a command prompt), or you can use GBATA for a graphical client with header-fixing capabilities.

The CRC value of the file changes if I run it through GBAfix, so this might be a possibility.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right. I remember GBAFix coming with the Dragon BASIC install package that I had, but never used it because hey, it worked fine on MY cartridge! I never stopped to think about everyone else's...

Anyway. Here's the latest build. It should be fixed, but please check the header to be sure. I'd do it myself (I think I have Transelhexion on my hard drive from my brief dabbling with game translation) but I'm not sure what I'd need to find.

http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz/gorf_fixed_98.zip

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@ArugulaZ: i just wanted to say thank you very much for posting here. following your project to make sure it is as perfect as it can be means a lot to many of us who have been doing homebrew for many years.

-another world

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, no problem! I hit a jag of depression and working on the game helped me power through it, so it was a gift to myself as much as anyone else.

I just hope my work on GORF convinces other homebrewers to step up their game. Far too many GameBoy Advance homebrews feel like unfinished demos, when even in BASIC they could be so much better.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kudos on your work on GORF for GBA. It plays VERY well and was one game I sorely missed on the handhelds. Used to play it all the time in the arcades back in the day.

Heh, I wondered why my battery died so quickly on previous builds (I play it on a M3 Perfect slot2) your readme cleared that up. Glad that's not a problem anymore.

Cheers!
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s