Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Over time, parts get cheaper and companies get better at the manufacturing process. Case in point: the PLAYSTATION 3.

In an investor call, Sony corporate CEO Nobuyuki Oneda revealed that PS3 manufacturing costs have dropped 70 percent.

"We don't disclose how much of the PS3, specifically the cost deduction was achieved during the past two years. But that is on schedule," said the exec. But when Oneda was pushed on the issue, he stated that the PS3 production cost had

When pushed, Oneda said the overall cost of making a PS3 was down "about 70 percent, roughly speaking". At launch, the 60GB PS3 model sold for US$599, and that was at a loss.

News Source: Kotaku

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it actually does see a reasonable price drop, I might consider one.

Though, I haven't been following along the PS3 scene at all, so this might be a dumb question... has anybody gotten pirated games and emulators to work on a PS3?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
silent sniper said:
If it actually does see a reasonable price drop, I might consider one.

Though, I haven't been following along the PS3 scene at all, so this might be a dumb question... has anybody gotten pirated games and emulators to work on a PS3?
I think there is a NES emulator but I'm not sure of that.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Edhel said:
Makes you wonder how much the cost of making the Wii is now... I mean it has yet to have any major price cut.
Why cut the cost, if it still sells like hotcakes? That would be meaning less money for Nintendo. As soon as it'll slow down, they'll announce a price cut.

As for the PS3... I would buy one only if it would cost 199$, and mainly just to play 2-3 exclusive games. After that I would sell it without hesitance.
It's not even good for playing PS2 games, as that would at least make it useful to supersede my old PS2 slim. Instead, it doesn't even do that.

Rock Raiyu said:
QUOTE(silent sniper @ Jul 31 2009, 01:34 PM) If it actually does see a reasonable price drop, I might consider one.

I think there is a NES emulator but I'm not sure of that.
IIRC, it was made using an exploit in BD-J, and was quickly fixed ages ago. I'm not too sure on this one, but I remember it running like crap.

feds4u

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love my PS3 and I'm glad I bought it on day one. I've never regretted the purchase.

However price is not the issue with PS3 sales. Its public opinion.

The Xbox 360 elite is the same price as the PS3. And even the cheap arcade model is expensive once you factor in all the needed extras. (HDD, 1 Year Live, possibly a Wifi adapter, etc)

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you can run some distros of Linux on the PS3...but you have no access to the graphics hardware, which sucks.

..but I hope this means a price cut's coming soon. I think the PS3's way too expensive right now.

cyr0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You know what? I am glad that the PS3 is so expensiv. You wanna know why? Because I can enjoy a mature community without all those kids that can all buy a Xbox360 now.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just because the manufacturing cost goes down doesn't mean the price is going to go down. Though it is likely because Activision is really riding on Sony's ass.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cyr0x said:
You know what? I am glad that the PS3 is so expensiv. You wanna know why? Because I can enjoy a mature community without all those kids that can all buy a Xbox360 now.
That is absolutely absurd, bordering on flat out wrong. Those kids are more likely to own a PS3 because it's bought with their _parents_ money. The person who won't buy a PS3 is the one that has to earn their own, and find a way to justify paying $600 for a video game system when they must be concerned over rent and food.

I'm confused at the article's statements. Is it down to 70% manufacturing cost, or has it actually been reduced by 70% as it seems to be claiming? Let's say it previously cost $100 to produce a PS3: this is the difference of it now costing $70 or $30 per unit today. If it's the latter, it would truly be unconscionable of Sony not to pass that on to the consumers.

Where the Wii is concerned, the sales _have_ declined but mostly because everybody that wants one already owns one. If Nintendo ever wants to truly appeal to the diverse audience that they claim, dropping the price would be the way to accomplish it. When it can compete closer with the PS2 price point, then I would even consider owning one.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I call bullshit on a 70% reduction of manufacturing cost, that would make it ~$180. They would have surely cut the price to boost sales if that was the case.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
misteromar said:
I call bullshit on a 70% reduction of manufacturing cost, that would make it ~$180. They would have surely cut the price to boost sales if that was the case.

its most likely down to 70% not reduced by 70%

Spiridow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
misteromar said:

Actually they did plan this. On a recent news on jeuxvideo.com, one of their trusted sources confirmed a price drop for the PS3 and launch of the PS3 slim.

This should be officially announced on August 18th at the Gamescon conference, they say.

Source: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/0003600...se-confirme.htm

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if it is getting a price cut, they will most definitely get sales now. I don't mind paying $250 for it since its the price of the Wii and a bit cheaper then the 360 and for the PS3's hardware that's a good price. Let's hope its true.

kboxer

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I own a Ps3 and have done since day 1 and can say the system includeing network play is easy 50% better than when it started. I know it played catch up with the xbox but it sure has now. Also the stuff you can do with it includeing internet streaming Blu Ray discs as well as playing Blu Ray discs by default, plus new stuff like trophies,vidzone etc if the price does come down it will be a major contender to the 360 much more than it is now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: