Hacking 6-Step Guide to Hacking Wii 4.1!

Hybridx24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few words before starting: I am in NO WAY responsible for what happens to you and your poor Wii. I have personally tested this out on 3 Wiis, and it worked flawlessly on all of them.

Keep in mind that this is a thread to help people, not flame them, and that this is just an alternative / step by step guide for those people who have no idea what they're doing. I would gladly take any suggestions to update my post with information that might be crucial.

---------------------------

You could even start on FW 4.0, I will add an optional step for those of you who have already gotten far on that firmware, want to continue this, then update to 4.1(U).

By the time you are done with this guide, you will be able to:

1) Launch Wii backup DVD's

2) Launch GameCube backup DVD's

3) Play DVD movies on your Wii

4) Install homebrew on your Wii

5) Install .wad files and custom channels

What you should make sure of:

1) You start out with a VIRGINIZED Wii. That means no Twilight hack, no Homebrew Channel, you can have banner bomb but it isn't recommended, as I started fresh and I think it's better to start like I did (for thread compatibility purposes).

2) Skim my post before doing anything, just to get an idea of what you're doing.

3) You have an SD card with 1-2gb capacity. You'll need about 528mb to make a NAND backup alone.

* 4) After "Step 3)", make sure you set up Wi-Fi on your Wii. This can be done through the settings page. Make sure you select "Use this connection" after setting up the connection.

5) This does NOT work for LU64+ Wii's.

The .zip file will be located at the bottom of my post. In it, you will find all the tools you need, ranging from "[1]" to "[6]". Each step corresponds to a number between "[]" tags. So step one refers to "[1]".

Don't forget that if

Step 1) - Make sure WiiConnect24 is disabled - Copy the contents of this folder onto an SD card (preferably empty / clean). Insert your SD card into your Wii. On the Wii System Menu (where the channels are) press on the "Wii" button on the bottom left. Now press on Data Management, then Wii Channels. Once in Wii Channels, press on the SD Card tab on the top right. It will ask you to "Load boot.dol/elf, say yes. Then, run through the install until it allows you to exit.

Note: Sometimes certain Wii's need different bannerbomb files than the ones provided. The main site is currently down, but if step 1 doesn't work for you, check back here to see if they're up again and download the files: http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/

Step 2) Delete the boot.elf that's already on the SD card, and copy the one from the [2] folder (installer.elf). Rename it to boot.elf. Now, do the same thing as before, but when you press "Yes" to Load boot.dol/.elf, the menu will be a little different. It will give you 3 things to install / uninstall - BootMii, the Homebrew Channel, and DVDX. For HBC (homebrew channel) and DVDx, click install and then press "Yes, Continue" to install them. For BootMii select "Install as boot2" and "Install as IOS".

Step 3) Instructions are in the "[3] NAND Backup - IMPORTANT!" folder included in the .zip.

Step 4) *(Look upwards) Enable Wi-Fi and make a connection to your Wi-Fi router. You should now refer to this page and follow steps 2 through 8 (including). You have to download your own copy of cIOS rev9 and place it in the WAD folder: http://timashley.me/?q=node/6

I have included the contents of "Fix4.0-NeXtRL.it.rar", as well as a copy of the website (in case it goes down) in the "[4]" folder.

- At this point you have cIOS rev9 installed, as well as .wad installing capabilities. The next few steps will bring your Wii up to date and allow more compatibility. -

Step 5) Delete whatever was in the "apps" and "wad" folders, but keep the folders themselves. Copy the "[5] WAD Manager 1.5" and paste it in the "apps" folder on your SD card. Now rename "WAD-Manager_v1.5.dol" to boot.dol. This is because it is read by HBC, and it can only scan folders that have a file named "boot.dol" in them. This is how you should also put homebrew apps on your SD card.

Step 6) Now copy the files inside "[6]" just like you did with "[5]". Don't forget to rename the contents of each folder's .dol to boot.dol.

Now go to the HBC, and select "cIOS rev14" (you'll see it something like "/something/ciosrev14/boot.dol"). Press Load. Once the program starts, it will ask you to press A to confirm. Press A until it asks you "how you want to install" - or something like that. It will be set to install by SD card, but you have to press the right / left arrow on your controller to change it to say "Network installation". Continue with the installation until it says it's complete. Now, do the same thing with cMIOS (except folder will be "/something/cmiosrev3/boot.dol"). Again, select "Network Installation" and let it run through.

OPTIONAL Step 7) If you started with a 4.0U Wii, then just do what you did in "Step 6)" and it should safely upgrade you to FW 4.1U.

If anything goes wrong, you can also just restore your Wii using the NAND backup you made.

Download tools here: http://rapidshare.com/files/261170307/Tools.zip.html

Congratulations, your Wii is now completely hacked! Just burn Wii or GC games to a DVD-R (or DVD+R with DVD-ROM Booktype) and you're read to go. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Cool Channels / Forwarders:

Use Wad Manager 1.5 from the Homebrew channel to install these if you want (place them in the "wad" folder on the root of your SD card, then run through installation):

Wii Backup Launcher: http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=165485

GC Backup Launcher: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135126

DVD Player: http://www.nes-hacks.com/mplayer-ce-2/2298/

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no offense, but there are much easier guides that work with both old wiis and "lu64" wiis. it's not exactly a 6 step process if you have steps within your steps.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you made a guide...that links to another sites guide to do the important part (and adds another 9 steps to your 6 step process) AND the guide uses an outdated method that doesn't work on all Wii's when there are safer options that DO work on any Wii of any firmware in less steps to boot.

Also your guide doesn't even explain what you would use to do any of these 5 things you listed once you finish using it:
1) Launch Wii backup DVD's

2) Launch GameCube backup DVD's

3) Play DVD movies on your Wii

4) Install homebrew on your Wii

5) Install .wad files and custom channels

Also, "That means no Twilight hack, no Homebrew Channel, you can have banner bomb but it isn't recommended"

The Twilight hack and bannerbomb aren't really things you "can have" on your Wii to begin with. They are just exploits used to run boot.dol/boot.elf's. Bannerbomb never even puts anything on your Wii at all. And even if they did have the HBC all they would have to do is skip step 1.

Also your download pack contains a cIOS wad, which I don't believe is allowed here.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158071

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, but this guide is totally unusable. It's more complicated and runs on less Wiis than methods using my Trucha Bug Restorer. Also you need wifi? Why? And is there an illegal cIOS wad file in the package?(i did not look) I saw lots of 4.0 fix or lu64 fix packages that contained one.

ToneEQ

Trophies
XP
Country
1) This guide is not newbie friendly and unuseable.
2) What timtlm said
3) Everything nabster92 said
4) Everything WiiPower said

Fail

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hybridx24 said:
Step 2) Delete the boot.elf that's already on the SD card, and copy the one from the [2] folder (installer.elf). Rename it to boot.elf. Now, do the same thing as before, but when you press "Yes" to Load boot.dol/.elf, the menu will be a little different. It will give you 3 things to install / uninstall - BootMii, the Homebrew Channel, and DVDX. For HBC (homebrew channel) and DVDx, click install and then press "Yes, Continue" to install them. For BootMii select "Install as boot2" and "Install as IOS".

Folder [1] and folder [2] contain identical .ELF files. They are both the Hackmii installer beta 2.

I don't know why you would need to run this twice, much less "delete the boot.elf" and copy the identical one back into the SD root.

???

Posts merged

QUOTE(WiiPower @ Jul 28 2009, 03:14 PM) And is there an illegal cIOS wad file in the package?(i did not look).

Yes. cIOS rev9 in WAD form.

Hybridx24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason you need WiFi is so you can use network installation. The illegal .WAD files are not included in my .zip. And as I stated before, this is an alternate method that I've used and successfully works. Not everyone understands how to use the Trucha Bug restorer, so this is aimed at noobs.

Just realized the .wad file and realized it wasn't also network installable - I'll fix zip in a sec.

1 more thing: You guys probably can't even remember the last time you didn't know what to do with a .wad or wii file. Just because you guys kick ass doesn't mean everyone else does.
frown.gif

When I started out this seemed to be the easiest method, so I just thought I'd share.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, but why not write a guide for my trucha bug restorer? It works well for lots of people with offline and online installation on ALL Wiis it was tested until now.

I hope the hackmii installer is NOT in your package.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hybridx24 said:
Not everyone understands how to use the Trucha Bug restorer, so this is aimed at noobs.

I'm sorry, TBR is probably the easiest thing I have found to understand since the beginning of soft modding. I know just about everything regarding softmodding/how it works now, but if I had TBR back in the beginning life would have been ALOT easier. In other words, it's the most noob-friendly way to get the bug in the system and allow a cIOS to be installed.

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it took me 5 mins of reading and i had np using wiipower's tbr and i am a noob to wii hacking.why post a guide when there is noobproof guides that work on any wii.the main reason people mess up and brick there wii is they don't read.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hybridx24 said:
The reason you need WiFi is so you can use network installation. The illegal .WAD files are not included in my .zip. And as I stated before, this is an alternate method that I've used and successfully works. Not everyone understands how to use the Trucha Bug restorer, so this is aimed at noobs.

Just realized the .wad file and realized it wasn't also network installable - I'll fix zip in a sec.

The reason he mentioned that is because you don't NEED to use a network installation so you don't NEED wifi to softmod a Wii. That wad file is not the only thing that needs fixing in this guide.

The Trucha Bug Restorer is not any harder than running comex's dvdx to downgrade, run wad manager to install an IOS and a cIOS wad using that IOS at all. It pretty much does the same sort of thing without having to use different applications and works on boot2v4 Wii's on top of that.

To aim something at noobs throw a video in their face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc...re=channel_page
If they can't follow that they sure as hell wouldn't be able to follow this guide.

Take note from these better guides already posted here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=167876

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835
(though this one can do without steps 9 and 10 of the online guide.)

Hybridx24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't even know how to use the TBR, but I guess your right, there are simpler ways. Either way, I already wrote it, and if anyone stumbles upon this I hope it helps them. Remember, this doesn't benefit me at all, just trying to help, no harm intended.
tongue.gif

Hybridx24

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol wish it was that easy, but when I upgraded to 4.0 it wouldn't let me install wads and play backups, which is why most of this is written.
tongue.gif

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
you also assume that everyone can install bootmii as boot2, and you probably should have more emphasis on taking a nand backup.

that said, your guide is old and confusing, and wont work on new wii's. there are much more simple and pretty much work on any current wii.

your guide is however pretty well written, but you seemed to have glossed over a few key points with no information as to what they are doing. do a bit more research and im sure you could write a much better, more compatible guide.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters