Hardware Import Pokemon from GBA Flash cart into DP?

ridley1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

There's a feature in the NDS Pokemon games to import Pokemon from a GBA Pokemon game through slot 2. Is it possible to do this with a GBA rom of a Pokemon game?

I'm using a SuperCard Mini SD and an M3 DS Simply/R4.

Thanks!

perpetualskeptic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've got the ROM on a slot2 cart (EZ3in1 is the easiest) and you're playing the DS game from a slot 1 cart (looks like you are) then yes. You have to patch the DS game with Pokepatch, though. The games are designed to read a different kind of sav than flashcarts use, so you need to patch the rom to make it work. Should be in the downloads section of GBAtemp. Everything should work then. (Haven't tried it myself yet, I'm not far enough along in Platinum)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can do it with the combination you have. If your slot-2 device was a 3in1 you could do it, or if your slot-1 device was a Supercard DS. However, with any other device, there's no way to load the game into the Supercard's RAM so the DS game cannot recognize it as any specific game.

Shirakawasuna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have the exact same concern as the OP. My sole reason for wanting to try out a gba cart is for pokemon purposes (makes things so much more convenient). Which reply was more accurate? Can I trade from FireRed to a slot-1 device? I have both and R4 and the actual physical pokemon games, if it's easier to transfer to a real DS game. Are the newer EZ Flash carts better in this respect?

Thanks for any reply!

Nitro Edd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
3in1 yes (my mate has a 3in1 and imports pokemon)

other gba flash cards that use expandable memory, no (i have an gbaM3 and it can't)

an you may still have to patch the .nds game

EDIT: i may be wrong though

Shirakawasuna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, Nitro Edd. This seems like it might work, then. If you get a chance, I'd really appreciate it if you'd ask your friend how he does it.

Thanks!

badchilli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YEah i've been curious this too. I'm in the process of researching it as I just got the Ez Flash 3in1.

I found this very long thread about it here on the ezflash forums, about people wanting to migrate pokemon using non-ez flash carts with the ez flash v 3in1 expansion. Looks like people have done it by patching. Someone posts a patcher in one of the posts. I haven't done it yet so I can't give any advice.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
the solution is easy...

use "GBA Backup tool" to import/export your save files from your cart to another... thats not all, GBA Backup tool can also dump images to roms

what to do:

*1st save your sav file into your Slot-1 cart.
*Launch GBA Backup tool using your DS
*then Press R once then it will change to "Save Restore"
*make sure the game is alloted of Slot-2 (which is in your case the pokemon thing)
*then Press "A" button and wait for a few sec.
*Done.. the save game should be OK now

ohh other thing..

since you use the Slot-2 Supercard..the only thing you have to do is just launch the game on Slot-2 (GBA mode).. after you launch it.. the save data is loaded to SRAM.. well then.. turn it OFF then QUICKLY back it ON... (the data on SRAM should be still there) then launch the pokemon game for DS.. and use GBA union.. it should work

Shirakawasuna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can now report success! It took a lot of guess & check, there really wasn't a simple, straightforward guide for the R4 + EZ-flash V 3-in-1 + pokemon.

In case anyone else could benefit, I'll line out the steps.

1) Get the GBA Exploader (I used 0.58b), place it on your R4 (it's an nds app)
2) Acquire pokemon roms (you should own a physical copy, btw...), place them on the R4
3) Patch your NDS pokemon game(s) with the pokepatch. The V5 alpha worked better, I think.
4) Launch the GBA Exploader, load the ROM in NOR mode (R and L buttons to switch modes) by selecting the game and hitting 'A'. This will take a while at first. Then hit 'Y' to launch.
5) Play your game as far as you'd like, until you'd like to transfer over some pokemon. Save and restart your DS.
6) All should be good: launch your patched pokemon game, select the transfer option from the title screen, go to the pal park, etc.

The nice thing about this method is that you can easily switch back and forth between playing your gba and nds games. There's no need for running save files through an emulator or running separate apps each time. Good luck!

b1g13en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i am using an Acekard2 and i wanted to know what slot2 flash cart should i get so i can do the Pokemon transferring thing. Also can you tell me or show me a link on what i need to do to make it work?

megaphoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got the AceKard too and im curious about this.

I have the EzFlash III, but i saw a message saying the battery has run dry or something. I also have a Supercard MiniSD and apparently GBA games run on that (and i dont have any weird error messages with batteries running dry).

Or is it just a smarter option to use an emulator and somehow use that to transfer pokemon into the DS version (either by pokesav or some emulator feature)?

Maybe i should just bluntly ask what the easiest way of transferring pokemon caught on a GBA game to pokemon platinum are based on my current items?
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."