anomousny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Please help me to fully understand IOS60 Patching:

What exactly is done by IOS60 Installer if you select "Patch IOS60"? I know it is necessary to run Custom Channels from SD-cards, but I want to know the technical background. Is it the same kind of DIP7-patch that Cioscorp uses or is it something else/additional?

Installing Preloader does an additional IOS60 Patch. What exactly does it do?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because installed channels don't have a real signature and the normal IOS60 says "WTF IS THIS CRAP" when you try to pass something fakesigned by it. Then you send in a team of ninjas to beat up IOS60 and put a little trucha bug into his belly button, which promptly crawls around inside and attaches itself to IOS60's brainstem so that next time a fake signature is thrown at it, it says "DUUUH, WHATEVAH YOU SAY BOSS!"

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me of something I meant to ask.

Do you guys know if it's possible to create a patched IOS60 wad just like you can make wads legally with NUS downloader? I thought it may be doable using the normal IOS60 patch, then using WAD Creator, but I wasn't completely sure.

donchen

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
LOL! Very nice explaination FenrirWolf! I kinda understand it abit more now although i knew what it does in general!
tongue.gif

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
s3phir0th115 said:
Do you guys know if it's possible to create a patched IOS60 wad just like you can make wads legally with NUS downloader? I thought it may be doable using the normal IOS60 patch, then using WAD Creator, but I wasn't completely sure.
Use NUSD to get IOS60 and let FreeTheBug do the rest.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am still waiting for confirmation that i can install CIOS60BF.wad after i used the cboot2 method to install lu64fix.wad

I have a bunch of trucha signed disk (brickblocked , scrubbed , etc) that i would like to play on this wii, but i don't have the guts to install CIOS60BF.wad by fear of bricking this LU64.

Should i go ahead and install it?

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Det1re said:
Use NUSD to get IOS60 and let FreeTheBug do the rest.

Cool. I just found this pack on here called "wwpacker". It seems to do what I want to do, I'll just need to dump my Wii's flash to get my "cert.sys" to do it.

Thanks for the tip!

mtb-bfh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Roamin64 said:
I am still waiting for confirmation that i can install CIOS60BF.wad after i used the cboot2 method to install lu64fix.wad

I have a bunch of trucha signed disk (brickblocked , scrubbed , etc) that i would like to play on this wii, but i don't have the guts to install CIOS60BF.wad by fear of bricking this LU64.

That's the big question, isn't it? I've poked around every place I can think of to ask what exactly people have tried and not tried on an LU64...I'd love to revert my IOS36 and get preloader going so I could move on to IOS60/menu hacks, but hell if I'm going to guineapig it.

I find it somewhat ironic that Bootmii was supposed to be the end-all of brick protection, but all it really seems to have offered is a way for LU64 users to slit their own throats via cBoot2. Hell those of us without GC controllers can't even do a dump because the menu doesn't work, not that we'd have any way to revert to the dump. I know TT has said over and over that there's not likely to be a boot2 solution, but they could at least give us something preloader-like to bootstrap the IOS version during startup. No matter how ugly/hackish it is, it's bound to be better than no protection at all.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IOS60 patch works on LU64's because it's not installing a downgraded IOS, just a slightly modified version of the normal one.

At least I've seen another guy on the site do it successfully.

runkittyrun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if ios60 patch is working on lu64's, whats the suggested way?

i'm assuming download the file and patching it on the fly is safer than wad install?

wiiSCU the best tool?

D

Deleted User

mtb-bfh said:
Roamin64 said:

That's the big question, isn't it? I've poked around every place I can think of to ask what exactly people have tried and not tried on an LU64...I'd love to revert my IOS36 and get preloader going so I could move on to IOS60/menu hacks, but hell if I'm going to guineapig it.

I find it somewhat ironic that Bootmii was supposed to be the end-all of brick protection, but all it really seems to have offered is a way for LU64 users to slit their own throats via cBoot2. Hell those of us without GC controllers can't even do a dump because the menu doesn't work, not that we'd have any way to revert to the dump. I know TT has said over and over that there's not likely to be a boot2 solution, but they could at least give us something preloader-like to bootstrap the IOS version during startup. No matter how ugly/hackish it is, it's bound to be better than no protection at all.

Dude, bootmii is not supposed to be the end-all of brick protection. It's for creating homebrew in a custom user-made environment.

D

Deleted-171178

FenrirWolf said:
Because installed channels don't have a real signature and the normal IOS60 says "WTF IS THIS CRAP" when you try to pass something fakesigned by it. Then you send in a team of ninjas to beat up IOS60 and put a little trucha bug into his belly button, which promptly crawls around inside and attaches itself to IOS60's brainstem so that next time a fake signature is thrown at it, it says "DUUUH, WHATEVAH YOU SAY BOSS!"
If this forum had a reputation system, you would just have got +5 from me.

mtb-bfh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Dude, bootmii is not supposed to be the end-all of brick protection. It's for creating homebrew in a custom user-made environment.

Dude, this statement direct from BootMii.org's about page...

BootMii for Users:

BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot the Homebrew channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.

I'm well aware of the back-end significance of bootmii for developers, but the "public face" has been all about brick protection in the majority of the comments I've seen made by TT. And I'm obviously not the only one with this perception, given the number of posts about BootMii that boil down to people complaining that they can or can't use homebrew and/or backup their NAND. I can't say I've seen many "Oooh, I can write a driver for MINI now!" comments.

Sorry I didn't kiss your idols.

D

Deleted-171178

cBoot2 is the only non-twiizers bootmii related application I have seen released.

anomousny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has there ever been an official IOS60 version with truncha bug (I thought IOS60 was introduced with Firmware 4.0) or how do the coders of IOS60 Installer know what they have to change to put the truncha bug in it?

What additional patch does Preloader do to IOS60?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there's no official IOS60 with the trucha bug. The patched one is the same thing as Ninty's except that the bug was patched back in manually. The bug is well known and is basically the same thing for each IOS so it wasn't rocket science for them to do that.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anomousny said:
Installing Preloader does an additional IOS60 Patch. What exactly does it do?
Nobody seemed to answer this part of the question.
Preloader removes the ES_Identify check that prevents apps from pretending they're different titles. Preloader has to use it to impersonate the system menu otherwise the "System files are corrupted" message appears.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like it when usps is like delivery expexted Today jk we meant tomorrow