Hacking What is the point to Bootmii?

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most People have patched Wii's for bootmii and there is virtually no way to work around the boot2 problem. So what is the point? Most people have preloader so there is no need for anything else. Installing bootmii as IOS does not aid in the protection of the Wii so what is the point seriously!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, how do you know that "most" people have invulnerable boot1's? When TT released the testing app only 10% of people had the new boot1. Obviously the numbers will have changed over the months, but it's safe to say that a lot of people who have been anticipating BootMii have been in the scene for a long while and therefore have older, more vulnerable Wiis.

Second, the brick protection is actually a secondary feature of BootMii. The primary purpose is to be a platform from which a new generation of homebrew apps can run with full access to the Wii's hardware.

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They will never be able to work around the boot2 problem and as wii speak more people who have the thought of doing homebrew with not much protection. So what is the point!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I told you the point already. The boot2 install is an added bonus for those who can do it. Once apps come out that were only made possible because of BootMii you'll see its usefulness more clearly.

If you care so much about a boot2 install (which I frankly don't blame you for), maybe you could buy an older Wii or trade with someone you know who has a vulnerable boot2. You'd be able to swap all your save files and such with the exception of shop channel items.

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that seems like a good idea!
yay.gif
I have a few friend who wan't a newer Wii so that wouldn't mind a exchange!

guilleart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
FenrirWolf said:
Second, the brick protection is actually a secondary feature of BootMii. The primary purpose is to be a platform from which a new generation of homebrew apps can run with full access to the Wii's hardware.

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Neku_Sakuraba @ May 21 2009, 10:22 AM) They will never be able to work around the boot2 problem and as wii speak more people who have the thought of doing homebrew with not much protection. So what is the point!
AFAIK Bootmii as an IOS still keeps the original purpose, to be a new homebrew platform with the capability to access Wii's Hardware completely and using it.

knowthing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can't run bootmii as boot2 because your console is too new, just realise that you came to the party too late for it!

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
AFAIK Bootmii as an IOS still keeps the original purpose, to be a new homebrew platform with the capability to access Wii's Hardware completely and using it.

hate2.gif

But with it installed as a IOS you don't have the same level of safety because if it isn't a boot install then when doing restores and backups of the NAND there is a danger to it! Then poof! You Wii is bricked!
lecture.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, we know that. You know that. Everyone knows that. We get it. It's not the point.

Besides, it sounds like you could trade anyway. Just get one of your friends to run the HackMii installer to see if he has a vulnerable boot1, then use the Savegame Manager to swap your saves, and you'll be good to go.

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the Bootmii programers need to devolop something new that gives you high brick protection and more intergrated features which help you wii!
dry.gif

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Neku_Sakuraba said:
Well the Bootmii programers need to devolop something new that gives you high brick protection and more intergrated features which help you wii!
dry.gif

They don't "need" to do anything for you. If it can be installed as boot2, it offers about as good of brick protection as you can possibly get. As already stated, even as an IOS, it can offer some some recovery advantages if you have the ability to boot into the Homebrew Channel, but unfortunately, not from something such as a System Menu brick. It is not their fault that Nintendo decided to patch the bug that they used to install it as boot2.

bin01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Neku_Sakuraba said:
They will never be able to work around the boot2 problem and as wii speak more people who have the thought of doing homebrew with not much protection. So what is the point!
True my friend, the amount of new wiis is gonna increase and eventually the bootmii users(trucha boot2) will be a small portion of the mass audience, now tell me who is going to bother developing for a small group of users hmm...?

But wait... i still read comments which make me laugh like "bootmii is a platform for new generation homebrew" lol, you remind me the ps3 fanboys before its release... now after 3 years they are eating his $600 HD trash with no exclusive 3rd party soft.

On topic:
You all cling to the promises from devs, but thats it... promises... show me one single homebrew application -non TT releated - that runs from bootmii. As i said, with thousands of new(fixed) systems been sold every week, why botter coding for it? in the end its gonna be useless for most of people out there

Bootmii is no use as an IOS and as a result it fails as a brick-proff solution for increasing new community prove me wrong

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It just came out mere DAYS ago as a BETA release. Why the hell WOULD there be any homebrew applications that run from it yet. Why bother coding for it? Because pretty much anyone can use it to install as an IOS and run applications that will come out in time just like the time it will take for boot2 users to become a minority of wii users. That's not gonna happen tomorrow or next month. And who's gonna bother coding for an audience thats NOT EVEN THERE yet. Right now more people have vulnerable boot2's than not and right now this BETA version of bootmii was released.

And even with the IOS version you can still use it in tandem with preloader to be able to get to it before the system menu in the event of a brick so it's not like its totally worthless for anyone who can't install it to boot2 regarding brick protection (not sure how well that actually works, but it should still at least give some sort of recovery advantages).

Now stop bashing Team Twiizers as failures in their amazing work they've done because you're butthurt that it won't work on yours for anything useful yet. At least wait for something that's not in a testing phase during a time that a majority of people have vulnerable boot2's to trash them for not catering to the future.

TheWiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bin01 said:
Neku_Sakuraba said:
True my friend, the amount of new wiis is gonna increase and eventually the bootmii users(trucha boot2) will be a small portion of the mass audience, now tell me who is going to bother developing for a small group of users hmm...?

But wait... i still read comments which make me laugh like "bootmii is a platform for new generation homebrew" lol, you remind me the ps3 fanboys before its release... now after 3 years they are eating his $600 HD trash with no exclusive 3rd party soft.

On topic:
You all cling to the promises from devs, but thats it... promises... show me one single homebrew application -non TT releated - that runs from bootmii. As i said, with thousands of new(fixed) systems been sold every week, why botter coding for it? in the end its gonna be useless for most of people out there

Bootmii is no use as an IOS and as a result it fails as a brick-proff solution for increasing new community prove me wrong
Of course there is no use for BootMii as an IOS right now. It's in beta and it came out like a week or two ago. Give developers time to actually develop for mini before you start bashing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)