Gaming Guide to Punchout for Ntsc/J consoles (finally got it working)

seitetsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, ive had a bitch of a time getting this to work.

I started on 3.2j, tried everything possible, upgraded to 4.0j still with no luck using any burning methods or loaders I could find.

Finally I got it to work by downgrading all the way down to 2.2 using this guide http://fathertom.net/hardwii/?p=488

Then I changed my region from NTSC/J to NTSC/U using anyregionchanger1.2

After that I installed the update to 3.2U using anyregionchanger AFTER changing all my regions.

I have thus a fully functional USA wii capable of playing any NTSC/U NTSC/J Pal games (with appropriate launchers of course)

In summary, change your region and load using whatever method you like. It's all good from there.

seitetsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Thank you very much for the guide!

Thing is changing the game region would affect the save files for gamecube games. Kinda inconvenient. :/

Maybe there will be a workaround for such games in the future.

Well, what I ended up doing in the end is installing updates on my own region up to 3.2j, then just manually changing my region to US but not installing any updates. This way I can have a US region wii that is actually still running on the NTSC/J foundation. For all intensive purposes I still have a jp wii, but it's running american software. This is easily done by just changing the top menu options in anyregion changer. You can change them back anytime you wana play a gamecube game without installing any additional software / reverting to anything. It's just changing the menu options.

k0sm0s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
oh well, guess there is no actual solution for it then
frown.gif

thanks for taking all the trouble to try to get it to load

seitetsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Where did you get your copy from to get it to work? I downloaded my copy from the Wiisos that said NTSC and like i tried brickblocking it and then chaning the region to JAP then i got this stupid ERROR 002 i tried to get rid of it but that failed misserabley even with the wad file for the 002 fix didnt work on me either

The copy you downloaded works perfectly, it`s the simple fact the Japanese WII is not equpt to play Punchout as far as I can tell. The game apparently just doesn`t have the internal codes to run it is the only conclusion I could make. What you have to do is make sure you`re on firmware 3.2 or less (3.3 may work too) and literally change your region (you can do this temporarily) to USA.

I tried brickblocking, 002 patching, gamma loading, gecko booting, usb booting, updating to 4.0, and alot of other methods, and the closest I could get was that same 002 error, or a simple black screen when booting with gecko or with my wiikey2 hardware, but AS SOON as I switched my region from NTSC/J to NTSC/U using **anyregionchanger 1.2** it worked perfectly not only from CD, but from USB also. The pal copy I originally downloaded worked too (with forced NTSC).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I am on 3.2u with starfall and normal wiigator 0.3g and burnt it on sony dvdr 8x speed using imgburn and I played so far. Nothing's wrong.

starscreamX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your informative post seitetsu. However I have a problem with my Jap Wii not able to read any discs after the firmware upgrade from 3.2j to 3.2u.

I followed your instructions exactly and now I have a 3.2u successfully running on my Jap Wii. All the menus are in English now but all my backup discs fails to load or even show up on the wii main menu.

Is there something to do with Wiikey?

Thanks

mk123a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey starscream, sounds like its a region conflict with your Wiikey. Your Wiikey was originally set to NTSC-J to go along with your Jap Wii. But now your on an NTSC-U wii...so you will have to change your wiikey region to US.

D

Deleted-98012

Hi guys, which part in anyregionchanger do I change to get punchout working?

There are various options in changing Japan/ese ro USA/english in this app. Is it only the System Menu one near the bottom or do I change the rest?

I only want to play punchout and keep my system as a Japanese system really and will change back to Japanese region when I am bored of it.

Please help, thanks
smile.gif

D

Deleted-98012

Kanzensan said:
Hi guys, which part in anyregionchanger do I change to get punchout working?

There are various options in changing Japan/ese ro USA/english in this app. Is it only the System Menu one near the bottom or do I change the rest?

I only want to play punchout and keep my system as a Japanese system really and will change back to Japanese region when I am bored of it.

Please help, thanks
smile.gif

Just in case this got missed on the first page since mine was the last post on the 1st page.

starscreamX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mk123a said:
hey starscream, sounds like its a region conflict with your Wiikey. Your Wiikey was originally set to NTSC-J to go along with your Jap Wii. But now your on an NTSC-U wii...so you will have to change your wiikey region to US.

Thanks mk123a! I upgraded to Wiikey 1.9s USA from Wiikey 1.9g JAPAN.

After installing Wiikey 1.9s USA, you must run the Wiikey 1.9s CONFIG. There are two things you must do:

1) Change to REGION FREE
2) Change DVD-R reading speed to 3x (don't set to 6x or else it won't read any discs)

Hope this helps!
smile.gif

D

Deleted-98012

Starscream, there is no detail on the instructions on how you change the region in anyregionchanger. Can you please advise what options you need to change? Thanks;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.