Hacking anti-piracy ?

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so after trying a lot of times I finally got the roms onto my R4 (using max crass method) and they actually load up but now I have another problem. All of them are stopping in weird places near the start so obviously I am still not doing something right!

Dragon Quest 5 ... The ship at the start never docks
Chrono Trigger ... First portal the screen just stays on the blue swirling

Let me explain exactly what I am doing so you may be able to help....

1) I extract everything from the max crass folder to the desktop (DSlazy/max overload/arm7.bin)
2) I download them rom I want then extract the .nds file inside to the desktop.
3) I open DSlazy and select "..." then click on the rom I just extracted to the desktop
4) I then select NDSunpack and when the folder appears I replace the arm7.bin file in here with the one I extracted to the desktop. ( I dont know if this is normal but before that folder appears I get a black screen like ms dos or something that says there was some sort of error/system 32 or something and loads of files scroll down really quickly )
5) Next I click on NDSpacker and rename that file whatever the rom is called and save it to the desktop
6) Then I click on Max Overload Patcher and open the file I just renamed
7) Now at this point 2 new files have appeared on desktop (the .nds one I renamed and a .pat file of same name). The max crass method says simply copy the file I renamed onto the flash cart but nothing happens when I try that so I drag it back into the winrar folder of the original Rom file I donwnloaded and then extract that to my R4.

What am I doing wrong? Please help

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
DQ5 and CT both have cheat codes that you can enable to bypass the anti-piracy protection.

Neither of the games need patching, as far as I know.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
One thread is enough, don't create duplicate threads please. If you're not sure where it should be placed someone will contact us to move it to a more appropriate area.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also dsbuff is far superior to dslazy

and arm7 has NOTHING to do with anti-piracy. if you ran ysmenu, you wouldn't even need to do that.

so just do what law said, and run it with the anti-piracy cheat code

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks could you give me a link on how to do that?

Without the max crass method though the original roms never even loaded up

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of R4 do you have?

Is it a clone, the R4-III? If so, I'm working on getting YSMenu to work on said clone, trying to strike up an effort in the community to get it to work, as I have never seen an actual confirmation that anyone has gotten YSMenu to load games on an R4-III (from r4dsl.net).

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im sorry for spamming but nothing ever seems to work from these online instructions.

I just found the DSATM program and then opened the dragon quest 5 rom and then clicked "auto patch game" but al it keeps saying is DSATM.ini file doesnt exist.

I then tried add cheat "changelog.txt" and then clicked "auto patch game" again but nothing happens.

Why isnt there just a file with everything already done on it for people like me who dont really understand the process? I mean I have tried trust me I have. I spent and hour yesterday and half an hour today

PLease help me

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no I have an R4 revolution for DS. Ive had it for a bout a year and everything has been fine up until a few months ago.

I only really want to play 5 games right now and only 2 of them seem within my reach....

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 5

Pokemon Platinum(english/usa)
FF:CC:Echoes of Time(english/usa)
Mario RPG 3(english/usa)

PLease help me as I have spent so much time on this already. Is there any way you could do the stuff required and just link me to a file that I can open and extract to my R4 as simple as that(like I used to do before?)

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry but Im still really confused.

I went to that link and it gives me like 10 different options.

Then on the second link what am I supposed to do with that?

You know I have used that usrcheat.dat once before to get "insane exp gain" on DQM:Joker using cheat code editor but it was a long time ago so I barely remember what to do

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
heres what I just did....

1) extracted all 4 files in the 1.18 to the system file.(I wasnt asked to replace any existing firmware)
2) extracted the cheat.dat to the system file

Basically all that happened was "cheat" appeared on each game on my R4 but not for the ones I recently added....DQ5 and Chrono Trigger!! Incidentally YS legacy has worked fine and Im 4 hours in

Why is this so difficult? Sorry if I am being thick. I still have yet to try the games again after what I just did but my gut feeling tells me nothing will have changed.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's difficult because you're being thick. you've got a vicious circle thing going here.

the cheat file you want has the same name as the cheat file that came with your firmware. when you replaced the firmware, you should have had to replace a few files. like _DS_MENU.DAT and a few inside the _system_ folder.

i'd just recommend ysmenu + the cheat file, but i can already see that that would be a disaster.

honestly, these games shouldn't have taken longer than 10 minutes, tops, to get working on your R4.

which takes me to the next point. how do you own a piece of hardware for so long and have no clue whatsoever as to how to upgrade it? i always play with my new toys for awhile so that i can get a feel for how they work. one of the first things i did with my r4 was upgrade the firmware.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Wolvenreign said:
What kind of R4 do you have?

Is it a clone, the R4-III? If so, I'm working on getting YSMenu to work on said clone, trying to strike up an effort in the community to get it to work, as I have never seen an actual confirmation that anyone has gotten YSMenu to load games on an R4-III (from r4dsl.net).
I have one of those. If you do manage to get it working, please let me know!

gamez_girl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the original R4DS, 1.18, with the cheat enable and I can't get the DQ5 to work. Talking to the captain doesn't get me off the ship.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
someone please help Ive just spent another 20 minutes deleting all the firmware files and putting the latest version on and then trying to follow the instructions.

can you please give me a step by step plan on how to do this because Im not as clever as some other people on here lol!

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Update firmware to 1.18

Get cheat file from http://cheats.gbatemp.net

Get the (UE) one and just put the usrcheat.dat into the system folder. http://cheats.gbatemp.net/files/02_27_09_CHEAT(UE).DAT.zip

Chrono Trigger and DQV do not need patching. I haven't patched either of them and they both work fine, although I haven't played much into Chrono Trigger.

you already have step by step instructions

and it's hardly "lol"-worthy that you can't do simple file replacements.

nezkeys79

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thats not step by step in my book.

It says get the cheat file from the first link right? Which one there are like 10 of them.

None of them say EU or UE anyway

Secondly I put the USRcheat.dat file in my system folder and all that happened was CHEAT appeared for each rom on my R4 EXCEPT FOR CHRONO TRIGGER AND DRAGON QUEST 5 THOUGH!

Do I need both links?

Give me a detailed step by step instruction please(like the way I explained what I was doing)

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
site works fine

stop using the patched roms. patching changes things in the ROM, and makes it so that the cheat file can't locate the ROM. that's why cheat options aren't showing up for only those games.

everyone told you that you don't need to patch.

seriously, this a 2 minute fix.

never patch roms in the future. always use the cheat file.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
nezkeys79 said:
thats not step by step in my book.

It says get the cheat file from the first link right? Which one there are like 10 of them.

None of them say EU or UE anyway

Secondly I put the USRcheat.dat file in my system folder and all that happened was CHEAT appeared for each rom on my R4 EXCEPT FOR CHRONO TRIGGER AND DRAGON QUEST 5 THOUGH!

Do I need both links?

Give me a detailed step by step instruction please(like the way I explained what I was doing)

1) Get Firmware v1.18 and place it on the root of your MicroSD card (http://www.r4ds.cn/download/118/English-1.18.rar or http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2309)
2) Place CLEAN (Do NOT patch your ROMs) Chrono Trigger And/Or Dragon Quest V ROM on your MicroSD card. (Re-download fresh ones if you're unsure as to whether or not you still have the clean ones on your hard drive)
3) Download "xx_xx_xx_CHEAT(UE).DAT.zip" from http://cheats.gbatemp.net/. "xx_xx_xx" will be whatever the current date is providing there has been an update.
4) Unzip "xx_xx_xx_CHEAT(UE).DAT.zip" and place the "CHEAT.DAT" file into the folder named "_SYSTEM_" that should be on the root of your MicroSD card.
5) Take MicroSD card out of your MicroSD card reader
6) Place MicroSD into Flashcart
7) Place Flashcart into DS
8) Turn on DS
9) Hit the Game option
10) Find the game
11) Access the cheats list
12) Find the cheat
13) Select the cheat
14) Save & Quit
15) Start Game
16) Enjoy

The reason you want the UE one is because cheats for Japanese games have been removed, this is because the R4 has a limit on how many cheats there can be. I believe that there was a fix for this, but am unsure. To get off the boat at the start of Dragon Quest V make sure to talk to EVERYBODY, not just the captain.

If you're still having problems even after following these instructions, tell me and I'll make a video and shove it up on Youtube for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)