ConJ

The Toker
OP
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
Hello all. New Acekard 2/2i firmware out.

Release note -

Fixed 3049 and 3062.
Support save files which end with ".sav". Notice: If there're ".sav" file and ".nds.sav" files in the same folders, the ".sav" one will be used. And you can't use multi-save file system in this case. If you want to use multi-save file system please modify your ".sav" file to ".nds.sav".
For example: The name of game is "myndsgame.nds". Then you can use save file of "myndsgame.sav". If you want to use multi-save file system then please modify the save file to "myndsgame.nds.sav".

http://www.acekard.com/download.php

gbatemp download - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4518

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I'd rather use AKAIO firmware
smile.gif

And while the AceKards are pretty good, the AceKard team really isn't proving itself to be one that supports all its flashcards. I mean, why isnt the AKRPG getting any updates like the AK2? Sure, AKAIO is more than enough, but they can't really rely on that..

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extreme Coder said:
smile.gif

And while the AceKards are pretty good, the AceKard team really isn't proving itself to be one that supports all its flashcards. I mean, why isnt the AKRPG getting any updates like the AK2? Sure, AKAIO is more than enough, but they can't really rely on that..

I have tried them both on my AceKard2i, and I am not sure why everyone here keeps saying that AKAIO is a lot better than the official firmware. I have visited the Wiki and read up on the feature list of AKAIO, and don't see a whole lot of difference between it and what the official firmware offers. The biggest addition seems to be alternate loader support, but it is disabled on my AceKard 2i. Even if it was available, why would someone need to use an loader older than the latest version which should be compatible with more games? Maybe there is a lot more going on behind the scenes in AKAIO, that I don't know about. If the official software stopped supporting AceKard RPG, I can understan why they would be better served by the unofficial AKAIO.

Can someone with more information enlighten me why AKAIO gets so much love around here?

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
rajendra82 said:
Extreme Coder said:
smile.gif

I have tried them both on my AceKard2i, and I am not sure why everyone here keeps saying that AKAIO is a lot better than the official firmware. I have visited the Wiki and read up on the feature list of AKAIO, and don't see a whole lot of difference between it and what the official firmware offers. The biggest addition seems to be alternate loader support, but it is disabled on my AceKard 2i. Even if it was available, why would someone need to use an loader older than the latest version which should be compatible with more games? Maybe there is a lot more going on behind the scenes in AKAIO, that I don't know about. If the official software stopped supporting AceKard RPG, I can understan why they would be better served by the unofficial AKAIO.

Can someone with more information enlighten me why AKAIO gets so much love around here?
It's just that AKAIO has a lot of tiny little additions that, overall, make it much better. The AceKard 2 software by itself is already very good, and AKAIO makes it one of the best by adding an overkill of features.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
rajendra82 said:
Extreme Coder said:
smile.gif

It's just that AKAIO has a lot of tiny little additions that, overall, make it much better. The AceKard 2 software by itself is already very good, and AKAIO makes it one of the best by adding an overkill of features.

people keep saying things like this... but are never specific.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
UltraMagnus said:
Maikel Steneker said:
rajendra82 said:
Extreme Coder said:
smile.gif

That's because there probably aren't any specific things everybody should use AKAIO for.

For example, I really like the ability to download a new version of USRCHEAT.DAT on the DS, running GBA roms in combination with an EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack and the ability to directly launch MP3-files in lmp-ng from the menu.

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
UltraMagnus said:
Maikel Steneker said:
rajendra82 said:
Extreme Coder said:
smile.gif

That's because there probably aren't any specific things everybody should use AKAIO for.

For example, I really like the ability to download a new version of USRCHEAT.DAT on the DS, running GBA roms in combination with an EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack and the ability to directly launch MP3-files in lmp-ng from the menu.

USERCHEAT.DAT updating from the DS is nice, but every time I have tried it, I get connection error (but my games can connect successfully). The latest official firmware also supports running GBA ROMS directly by loading them into the EZ Flash 3 in 1. The ability to launch MP3 files sounds good, but I never use the DS for listening to music.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have firmware 4.12 on my Acekard. None of the game fixes in the past 2 updates apply to any game I play so I didn't see the point. And since I don't download existing save files, merely just backing up my own saves, the file changeover doesn't really affect me.

I really don't need all the features of AKAIO, either, so I don't bother with it.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
UltraMagnus said:

please come to the gbatemp irc network and join #acekard and ask norm what he added. akaio has a ton of stuff going on under the hood that the official does not. norm has optimized the code for the best possible performance. each update includes multiple changes and not just a a fix for a 2-3 games.

issues with the cheat update are due to the wifilib and not akaio. however, people don't see it that way and assume akaio is at fault. there are other factors at play as well like your distance from the server, etc.

this 4.14 firmware offers .sav support to the point that .savs are loading automatically now. this means that if you want to use sav slots your slotted games have to be .nds.sav (according to what i read). i fail to see how making it automatic is a good feature when you could always manually pick if you wanted to use .sav or .nds.sav.

-another world

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
UltraMagnus said:

please come to the gbatemp irc network and join #acekard and ask norm what he added. akaio has a ton of stuff going on under the hood that the official does not. norm has optimized the code for the best possible performance. each update includes multiple changes and not just a a fix for a 2-3 games.

issues with the cheat update are due to the wifilib and not akaio. however, people don't see it that way and assume akaio is at fault. there are other factors at play as well like your distance from the server, etc.

this 4.14 firmware offers .sav support to the point that .savs are loading automatically now. this means that if you want to use sav slots your slotted games have to be .nds.sav (according to what i read). i fail to see how making it automatic is a good feature when you could always manually pick if you wanted to use .sav or .nds.sav.

-another world

I appreciate the additional information. My main reason for using a flash cart is of course to play a lot of games. In terms of game compatibility, is AKAIO more compatible with newer games than the official firmware (considering the fact that multiple loader support is not an option on my 2i)? What are some examples of under the hood performance tweaks you know about? I am not that well versed in multiple save files per title, and don't care if my files are named .sav or .nds.sav, so I am not sure about the advantages of using one or the other loader.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
akaio has native 3-in-1 support which has a pogo-shell like feel to it. smiths has revamped the support which now features prompting for save/load, nor erase, etc. 3-in-1+ support is there but buggy due to the code that EZ released. it also supports the eWin expansion pack and flashadvance slot2 kits. akaio offers a much faster directory loading and scrolling thanks to a feature norm added. the cheat engine has been entirely reworked. it has many fixes to that of the official firmware including scrolling, naming and folder support. the loaders are external to the software, so you can update loaders without having to update the entire firmware. akaio supports both the reworked 4.07 engine which norm has based all his work off of (due to the fact that acekard would not supply the new sources), and the official loaders. you can have the benefits of akaio and still have any compatibility fixes that are in the current ak2 loaders. the dma mode has been reworked and fixed, it is superior to that of the official loader. with the working dma method the official loaders have no benefit over akaio except in the chance that it provides a game fix. however, akaio may not require the same fix and/or is already fixed. you also have the option to boot with dma or non-dma. akaio supports custom fonts (via the ini) and custom icons for both retail roms and homebrew. it has a shortcut feature which displays on the main screen. akaio has smaller dldi files which are required by dsvideo. finally, norm and smiths update akaio every day. they always take suggestions. i've seen norm spend a few hours tracking down a bug or trying to figure out why a rom needs a combatibility fix. with the akaio bug tracker and gbatemp you can talk to the dev team directly with no need of a rep at the other end. they are also available for comments and chatting via irc.

i have been using the official loader a lot recently for a review i am working on. as soon as i moved back into akaio i noticed how much faster and responsive it is.

if you are using the ak2i the alternate loader support is disabled thanks to acekard and their bricker loaders that they didn't tell smiths about =P

you should stop by the chan and talk to norm and smiths.

-another world

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO = Multiple save slots, multiple list views, ability to choose which loader to use with which game, save the last folder you were in on startup, could use .sav far before official loader could.

These are just some of the features that are important to me in AKAIO.
I'm sure I'm missing some.

AKAIO is the official firmware with a lot of additions, so there's no reason to use the official.
And if you want to use a later official firmware with a game for compatibility purposes, AKAIO allows you to choose a different firmware in which to load a specific game with!

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For myself the features that I like about the AKAIO are:

1) Autobooting last ROM. Not a widely used feature by most people, but I find it helpful
2) Faster directory listing. The official firmware has caught up in this regard, but the difference used to be gigantic

I also like the fact that both Smiths and Normatt are very active in the forums and on IRC. Yes they are somewhat caustic at times. However they are around and work hard to provide something great to the Acekard community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey