Hardware Rock Band 2 drum sync problem

6mon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all

Anyone in there have an issue syncing their RB2 drum on the Wii?

I've seen tons of similar problems on the Web but no resolution yet...

Tried following all sort of instructions but the square leds (indicating which player is assigned to the drum controller) never light up.

Regards,
Simon

jet2099

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've got the exact same problem except it's with the drums AND guitar. I just got them both yesterday and have been trying to fix it and find answers ever since. So frustrating. I thought maybe because my copy of Rock Band 2 is a backup, that could be a reason but I haven't seen anyone mention that.

So at this point, I'm guessing it's a problem with the USB dongle. Nothing left to do really except get EA to send a replacement.

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably some of us should try our RB drums (RB1 in my case) on an unmodified wii with RB2 to make sure something not screwy with the modded system being able to search out a drum (or anything as the above post implies) on the usb.

Here is how it's going down for me:
QUOTE said:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=127...p;#entry1701021 Almost same issue here.. Personally I think it is a Rock Band selling junk issue mainly being that there are posts all over the net where people can't get drums (rockband2 kit mainly) to work right out the box. Since most such posts imply they dealing with a whole rock band setup with original disks and stock wii software I doubt it has anything to do with hacked wii's... maybe it a wii software version issue combined with a RB issue..lol.
Issue is different here in that I just tried and then exchanged a Rockband1 set for another and nope it is still not seen by Rockband2 game. It is direct wired and any type of reconnecting of the wiimotes does not allow it to be recognized. It's like wii just doesn't think to look at the usb for a controller. Only thing I get is the blue glowing drum light signifying it is getting power..none of the 4 wiimote lights ever light or flash..it's like it is dead to the wii system. Neither GHWT or RB2 or the Wii system recognizes it in any way. Both game do work with my usb mic though which btw also requires a wiimote to handle it's commands but again that is found by the sensor bar right?. ...Being the GHWT drums are talked about as working on RB2, are more stout, and have symbols built in, all I can do is wait for a responce from red octane whether they gonna sell me a set. Yea I'll have to temporarily forego another one of my wiimotes to use it (just like a guitar or zapper) but least I know it should work as others claim.

btw...I haven't downgraded from like 3.4 yet... Haven't seen a need to other than for the goal of becoming un-brick friendly. A partial list of games working fine for me are COD World at War, Quantum of Solace, lego batman & starwars, GHWT, RB2, etc.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M31Supernova said:
Probably some of us should try our RB drums (RB1 in my case) on an unmodified wii with RB2 to make sure something not screwy with the modded system being able to search out a drum (or anything as the above post implies) on the usb.
My RB1 drums work fine with RB2 on my chipped wii.

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gratefulbuddy said:
M31Supernova said:
My RB1 drums work fine with RB2 on my chipped wii.

Grateful can you please check this link and confirm back with what equipment is needed? : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1701185

ps- I see mrkinator is lurking this thread... I seen the RB customs thread and I assume if there is anyone that can address this problem it be you.. I thank you in advance!!
smile.gif

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mrkinator said:
It has nothing to do with your Wii/Chip/Soft-mod. Have you guys visited the forums at Rock Band.com? I think I remember seeing a fix for your problems.

..yea that was first site ma lady brung up about 6 hours ago..lol. maybe I missed something in there. Think that is where we read to try it in other usb or to try reconnecting or turning other wiimotes off and the like..no go s far.
. So can you say if I should be able to just plug the RB1 drum in to the back of the wii or not?

PS- so i talked to ma lady agan and she says tech support implied RB1 (bundle) came with a usb part/hub/something and then told her to bypass it and plug straight in. What does such thing do?. I assumed the thing that comes with RB2 is to split 2 into 4 usb and to make room for it's wireless gizmo.. argh, so what about the rb1 stuff, what it need?..now I'm hella confused! Am I sitting here with a perfectly fine rb1 drum but it is not powered, etc. properly cause they don't give no info ether in box or on the phone that something else is needed. I mean they sell software and instruments all seperate but not gonna label a box as needing more? That just don't make any sense to me. I assume I just plug right in until hear otherwise...tutorial please
smile.gif

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and so your process to synch it goes how?.. what is the little white button? pretty sure we pushed it as well besides doing 1 & 2 simultanious method usedwith wiimotes... nothing notta. Still missing something of the process apparently.

Not sure whereI am at now with the wired drums of rb1 but for wireless rb2 drums on rb2 users this link may be the answer:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread....ight=drum+synch

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
M31Supernova said:
and so your process to synch it goes how?.. what is the little white button? pretty sure we pushed it as well besides doing 1 & 2 simultanious method usedwith wiimotes... nothing notta. Still missing something of the process apparently.
I didn't do any syncing. I just plugged the drums in and they worked.

jet2099

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
M31Supernova said:

Not sure whereI am at now with the wired drums of rb1 but for wireless rb2 drums on rb2 users this link may be the answer:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread....ight=drum+synch

Unfortunately, that topic doesn't help me. The power to my guitar and drums is there but none of the 4 LEDs stay lit. They flash during the attempted syncing process, but then go off and only the power button on the peripherals stay lit. Only one Wii remote is connected (player 1). The guitar and drums don't get assigned to any player after the syncing process and therefore, can't be used. Also, the USB dongle (I really hate that word) flashes before the sync attempt but remains lit afterward.

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that Jet...makes me almost not want to risk getting the wireless vesion what with the tons of people having similar issues. I got to bite the bullet though as for once I got my rb1's working late last evening with the mrkinator rock band channel/loader I realized that tey are just too loud when ya hit them. If I don't drive myself crazy my kids surely will...
A word of advice to those thinking of buying any of this type stuff would be to buy equipment seperate that way any problems just take back to the store. If it whiole kit with software some may give you problems in returning. Least that's what retailers tell me...no software in it bring it back..

6mon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
M31Supernova said:
I do fail to see the point of not making it perfectly clear early in this thread and main threads that gamma wii's don't recognize the usb instruments for RB....and but it been fixed.
huh.gif

Are we talking exclusively RB (RB1) or is this fix also for RB2 ?

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently no..we're not talking exclusive to rb1 but rather whenever ya want to see drums or guitar wired direct usb or via wireless dongle usb as the rb2 is. Maybe some gamma's work some instruments as maybe they had some the code...?...I was using mic without the ISO37 update so unsure if that mans anything. I was using GHIII wireless guitar so can't say about the wired ones...
So yea was all setup last night with the rb1 drums working but decided to go get the rb2's. Red pad cut out after about 2 minutes play. So back to who knows how many more hours of messn around..lol

6mon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been exchaging PMs with someone else who's stuck with that issue and I think some info in there might help other so here it is :

QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
Hi there

Have you got a resolution for you drum sync problem?

EA issued me a RMA this morning but I want to avoid that as much as I can!

For curiosity sake, where in Canada are you from?

I'm from Terrebonne, Quebec.

Have you got the chance to try your unit on an unmodified Wii?

Mine is soft modded but I haven't had the chance to try it on a 'virgin' Wii yet...

It it's any help to you, you can reach EA toll free at : 866-543-5435
They don't usually tell users that number, pass it around!

Good luck!

I only sent EA an email pointing out that I wanted to fill out a hardware replacement form but couldn't because their troubleshooting website is crap. And do they seriously expect Canadians to call a long distance number just to be put on hold for hours? That's some pretty bad customer service.

Thanks for that toll-free number. How was the whole process handled when you talked to them? Are they sending a new drum set or the USB dongle or both? It's hard to know where the problem lies.

As for me, I haven't got a chance to try the guitar or drums on an un-modded Wii. Mine is soft modded too.

I'm guessing your guitar works ok since you only mentioned your drums have the problem.

I'm from Barrie, ON btw. I frequent these forums every now and again and I saw your topic with no responses. I decided to sign up and make a post to let you know you aren't the only one with screwy peripherals.

Would you happen to know what RMA stands for? I tried looking for the answer to that but couldn't find it...lol.

Well, my friend, it seems we're stuck in the same boat here!

I have only little new information to provide you but no miracle, sadly.

RMA, as far as I know, stands for Return to Manufacturer Authorisation. It's basically a order or PO number for them to track the process of you returning their faulty (crappy!!) merchandise.

I placed a phone call yesterday (using the toll free, yay!) and it went ok.
She tried to explain to me the sync procedure (again...) but I made it clear i've followed it more than once with no success.
She then set up a RMA for me. She asked for my shipping address and gave me a RMA number.
The next step for me is to fax them (they also offer snail-mail and email) my receipt with the RMA number written on it. The receipt is very important since their crappy warranty for their crappy product is only good for 60 days...

Then they're supposed to send me a new unit and once I receive it, send back the defective one.

It's pretty much the standard procedure for an 'express' RMA. (The 'normal' way, which they didn't offer would be me first sending the faulty item and then they ship back the new one.).
What's missing though is them asking me for a credit card number in case I don't ship back the broken drum, which is part of the standard RMA 'express' procedure.
Maybe they'll ask for it later.

Back to my case, i'm not sure I want to do that right now since it's pretty unclear what going on...

Their syncing procedure is not really clear on the steps : they often talk about "holding the drum icon until it flashes" (I never saw that, did you?) as well as "Press and hold the sync button on the dongle and then press and hold the sync button on the underside of the drum pads". I don't know for you, but when I hold either of those buttons, the device on which I hold the button is completely 'quiet' (no lights, no activity).
Should we be holding both at the same time? For how long?

As for the phone call, I placed it yesterday (Monday) around 12:30 (noon, not midnight!) and I waited 5-6 minutes which is great.
I called on Friday and the message said the idiot you had waited the longest was over 20 minutes! Poor bastard.!

Finally, as you guessed, I'm only having issues with the drum since I use GH3 guitars (they're so much better built!) and the software, well, it appeard magically...

If you don't mind I'll post this message in the thread as well since I think it might help others...

Regards,
Simon

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I second that motion... RB2 working fine here.

Wii will not connect or register them as a wiimote in it's connection/reconnect scheme so the 4 lights only flash and synch once the loader and game has begun. The flashing dongle means it is searching for the drums so when drums are off from underneith on/off button, power saver feature, or I imagine low batteries the flash makes for a good indicator of such. I haven't had to push connect button on dongle or drums. They just hookup automatic once in game and the loaer has done it's install of the ISO37....So all hail mrkinator!!
smile.gif

My problem with my red pad was that it's sensor inside started lifting ever so slightly. Procedure to fix goes as such.... take needle nose plyer to the four black rubber grommets underneith pad while first pushing that part of head down. Takes a bit of pressure so make sure the head is away from you when you push. Make sure something soft (like a couch or floor carpeting or leg) is back behind head an inch or so for when each grommet gives way. Wouldn't wat to stab yerself neither so be careful. Once inside, the sensor is in the middle under an orange plastic hold down. The part that lifts off causing problem looks and acts just like one of those little circular bandaides. I just pushed it back down without using any glue or silicone. If it lifts again I may actually try a good brand of bandaide or better yet a small piece of duct tape. Nothing beats duct tape..
wink.gif

M31Supernova

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Wireless red drum pad fixes are a no go for me. I tried duct tape..worked for a day. Tried the penney fix...no go. Tried spring stretch..nope. Must be flawed electronics. The fact that I can get it to work by messing inside with sensor one minute but then suddenly stops working once exiting out the drum trainer or sometimes after a song or two has to say something about ohm resistances or something rather than sensor simply having to be in contact.
Basically RB2 drums can't be trusted to give money's worth beyond whatever short warranty period they offering is my feeling and apparently some stores don't always want to honor their own return policies. RB has a stupid little yellow statement that they want you to deal directly with them and not return to store. Screw that!. I just bought it, it goes back to Fry's...end of story. Something tells me I don't think Fry's cared much for that outlook when I returned this wireless set that cost nearly a C note. Prior set returns of RB1 was due to lack of instrument loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou