Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys! I'm looking for a Gamecube replacement full size DVD case and all the tools needed, I only have the tools for opening a DS now. Anyone know of a site? It must ship to Canada and PAYPAL is a really big plus for me. THANKS!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
playallday said:
Hi guys! I'm looking for a Gamecube replacement full size DVD case and all the tools needed, I only have the tools for opening a DS now. Anyone know of a site? It must ship to Canada and PAYPAL is a really big plus for me. THANKS!

Why not just get Mini DVD-r's?
grog.gif

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hankchill said:
playallday said:

Why not just get Mini DVD-r's?
grog.gif
I can get a DVD-R for $0.15, can you get a Mini DVD-R for $0.15? No. I like to buy full size DVD-R's for my PS2 (100 at a time) and want to use them with my GC too.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can check out the canada/paypal part but one of the last places i've seen them: http://www.xbox-modchips.com/viper-gc-case.htm

EDIT: also if your unlucky like me, you would buy Mini-DVD-r's but would already have a SONY DVD Burner!! which won't let the mini's burn correct and wasted over 5 disc trying it. The only silver lining I have to this is that I already own about all 4 of the good games the Gamecube has to offer (Metroid Prime 1/2, Fzero GX, X-G III)

Also the ghetto way works, pull the top, tape the switch down and play away!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 to roguetrip the GC had a few nice games but it is probably not economically viable to replace the case instead of buying the mini discs. Price wise they are not quite as nice but nothing to worry about.

the "ghetto way" goes as follows (whether I would suggest it is a different matter)
Pop the lid and at the back of the case if the controller ports are facing there is a small circular switch (about the size of a dime if not smaller), this is what tells the cube if the lid is down. Tape it down and it does not matter if you have the lid up or not.

back on topic, I only know of this site that still stocks them:
http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info....id-for-gc-black
Good site (along with electric bird land* was one of the two main UK sites a couple of years back) but in the UK.

*yes the one sony took down over grey imports of the PSP.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
K guys I'm thinking of getting a modchip... I'm a total n00b to soldering so maybe you can get me a link to a some guides, that would be nice. Is the Xeno GC any good? I saw it at modchipcentral for $20. I'm still looking for a replacement case.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
roguetrip said:
If you don't have soldering skills, pass it along to someone else to do the job that does. I do solder work for a living but its not something for a novice!!
I really want to learn how to solder anyways, I'll do my work before trying this.

For the Xeno can I run wires from the board to the chip and not solder it to the Gamecube?

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
roguetrip said:
If you don't have soldering skills, pass it along to someone else to do the job that does. I do solder work for a living but its not something for a novice!!
I really want to learn how to solder anyways, I'll do my work before trying this.

For the Xeno can I run wires from the board to the chip and not solder it to the Gamecube?

Search google for help on the soldering techniques, I'd recommend a 35+watt iron, preferrably adjustable temperature (don't want to overheat the land areas). Solder a 60/40 rosin mix (acid core is for plumbing).

As for the Xeno chip. Yes you can do it that way. If you can have it face out that you can see the LED's that would be good. They indicate read success and such.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
roguetrip said:
playallday said:
roguetrip said:

Search Google for help on the soldering techniques, I'd recommend a 35+watt iron, preferrably adjustable temperature (don't want to overheat the land areas). Solder a 60/40 rosin mix (acid core is for plumbing).

As for the Xeno chip. Yes you can do it that way. If you can have it face out that you can see the LED's that would be good. They indicate read success and such.
Wow! I was thinking like 15 watts! Any more tips?

Lets say I do it now (I won't but...) and I have never tried soldering before, what is the % that I'll get it working?

I think I won't do any wires because when I said it I was thinking it'd make it easier but it doesn't look that way.

So this is what I think I'll be buying...

http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=282&page=1
http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=282&page=1
http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=260&page=1
http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?pr...=260&page=1

Is that all good?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sort of. It can run a few roms , but most of them won't save , as the emu was ripped from the zelda bonus disc.

Not looked into it for a while , but I don't think it's changed.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ben_r_ said:
What about the Viper GC for a modchip? Better than the Xeno GC?

It has more features and cost more, the Xeno is just a dvd drive bypass that lets play backups and a few other small features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr