Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
Help!!! edit .dol so channels can restart wii instead of code dumping when exiting

i need help, i want to edit the channels that dont have the restart wii command in the .dol (they have return to loader) and as a channel .wad when you quit it will crash and code dump

i need help in editing these, i really want to have a restart wii command on
Mplayer 005
mplayer dvd
dragon media player

anyone like my dragon media player??
CODEhttp://w14.easy-share.com/1701573914.html

i really want help because these are good channels that need the bugs of exiting sorted!

would appreciate if someone new what they were doing and would do them for me:)

DOES ANYONE ON HERE KNOW HOW TO EDIT .DOLS SO THEY CAN RESTART WII INSTEAD OF RETURNING TO LOADER!!
PLEASE HELP

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
iev checked wiibrew forums, no info on it theres just the developers tips which are useful, but thers no info on help how to do it!

Since there's constant more and more tutorials on the backup loader, cant someone make a nice tutorial on editing .dols so they can restart, as there's no tutorials out there that help against this, thanx

i mean thers tutorials for everything else(which are alot more easier than this)

bantheradio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I haven't contributed much to this forum at the present time, I believe that with the source code for certain homebrew apps and a simple tutorial for adding such commands to said source code could actually benefit many people. I personally am trying to learn how to code (ie. refresh my knowledge of C) by means of creating simple Wii homebrew apps. I would love it if someone posted a tutorial that showed the average user how to use DevKit but am understanding that it is up to the developers to release their source code.

At the present time, I have been scouring the wide, wide, world of web for the source code of Wanikoko's Wad Manager 1.1 for days and have yet to turn up something. While I wouldn't use the code to develop anything new and innovative, I would simply add the "exit to Wii" function in order for that specific version (which proves to support many more USB options) to become a channel.

This seems to be a community that supports developers but doesn't allow many people to modify simple functionalities that the original creators might have missed. While the original poster may have beaten a dead horse in requesting what it is that they want, I feel for them and would strongly support a "down-to-earth" tutorial that explained how to modify, create, or compile Wii brew. In fact, once my knowledge of such coding increases, I would gladly contribute my knowledge in developing such a tutorial.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
gbatemp is not a community of developper, afaik most people here are too lazy to get into coding and prefer to get everything already done
your best choice is to hang over at tehskeen or #wiidev as they seems to come all from there, wiibrew forums got lot of craps imho, I wouldn't start from here

to the first question, no you can not edit dols for the same reason you can not edit exe files to make them rebooting your computer instead of closing a window
you need to edit the sourcecode then recompile it yourself, many tutorials exist about that, this is not secret science as long as you are not stupid or lazy

to reboot the wii, it's really easy, just make the program call the following function: SYS_ResetSystem(SYS_RETURNTOMENU, 0, 0) instead of exit(0)
this will exist the program and return to the Wii System Menu
by changing the parameter you could also do a complete reset or shutdown the wii

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
thankyou for them replies guys, well im a member off all the foums apart from wiibrew they havnt activated me twice!!

anyway theres no tutorials other than editing the banner, sounds etc.

i kno about that, and you can get hold of the source codes even from wiibrew! just i dont know how to replace the return to laoder command with restart wii, yeh thats the correct command u replied to this thread, from wiibrew tips, just
what exactly do you open?
how do you save it?
how do you repack it?
otherwise its jsut going to get f**ked,
if you have magical powers and found a tutorial on this, would be grateful, but im sure ther isnt any.
please help

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
So basically you have NO coding skills whatsoever?

You're attacking this all wrong. You need to learn to actually code first, then look at modifying stuff.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
if editing the banners etc is any consilation then NO i dont, if i have a tutorial on this which people are saying its easy, why dnt they make one instead of countless backup loader tutorials,
i kno what code to replace, i have the devkit program, what do i do unpak the wad, just open it with programmers notepad or what?
just some step by step help needed guys, sorry for been a pain, just would love this, other probs would aswell, saves it crashing.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
You're not listening to anyone are you?

YOU NEED THE SOURCE CODE. YOU HAVE TO EDIT THE SOURCE THEN RECOMPILE IT, THEN REPACK IT INTO A WAD.

You can't just unpack a wad, modify something then repack it.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
A tutorial in what? Programming C? There's thousands of them out there. Google is your friend.

A tutorial in doing exactly what you want to do? Why is anyone going to go to the bother of making a tutorial to do something like that?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
I have the sources for the .dols that need editing, so a tutorial wouldnt go a miss, sorry to annoy you.

QUOTE(Richy Freeway @ Oct 1 2008, 11:05 AM) A tutorial in what? Programming C? There's thousands of them out there. Google is your friend.

A tutorial in doing exactly what you want to do? Why is anyone going to go to the bother of making a tutorial to do something like that?

even just a hint would be helpful to him, at one point they posted on wiibrew how to easily make programs exit to hbc, and it was like
4 lines long
so, in theory, making it not try to exit to hbc, should be about the same,
thats all he's asking for, so I don't really see why everyone who doesn't have an answer
feels like telling him it's pointless. If homebrew channels had this altered, they wouldnt codedump on exit, which a LOT of people have asked about, if YOU ALL read the forums.

sorry not to have an answer for u sir, but if you check out how they make progs exit to hbc, and tweak that, you should find your answer
good luck

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
ok, since you got the sourcecode:

1/ download & install this file on your computer, choose to install the devkitPPC toolchain including all required libraries

2/ download the source for the program you want to modify somewhere on your disk then modify the sourcecode as I said
QUOTE said:
to reboot the wii, it's really easy, just make the program call the following function: SYS_ResetSystem(SYS_RETURNTOMENU, 0, 0) instead of exit(0)
this will exist the program and return to the Wii System Menu
3/ launch command.exe (the MSDOS command line) then go (using cd ) where you downloaded the sourcecode

4/ found the exact place where the file Makefile is and type make in the command line

5/ normally, if everything went fine, you got a .dol file, this is your modified application. If you got compilation error, it's eithr because teh devkitPPC installation was incorrect or you are missing some libraries.

6/ finally , use AutoInjectuWAD to inject your modified dol in the original wad you had.
injectuwad xxx.dol xxx.wad 4

you can also use Wad Tool from Pifia: first "decrypt" the original wad, then replace the xxx001.desc file with your modified dol (renamed it as xxx001.desc !) then "encrypt" the wad back again... this is damn easy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end