Hacking SSBB won't get past the "create save" screen.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I think the title kinda explains it all. I'm using a backup disc of a PAL version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and it won't get past the screen when it asks whether I want to create a new save or not. I create a save, then it tells: you won't be able to save replays longer than 3 minutes. I accept... I get a white screen. That's all. I used a verbatim DL disc and IMGBurn. It should work, I've done all I considered important... The Layer break was set on auto for the IMGBurn config. and that's all of it. Some help, fellow tempers?

Thanks,

Maktub.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yepp, more than enough. I checked the memory blocks too and there's a perfectly normal save all ready to use... I tried deleting it and creating again but the white screen appears still... Don't know what to do
frown.gif

EDIT: just in case this helps...

I've tried to let it a while ON and the screensaver (it getting darker) works, so the wii's still working, plus the wiimote's still got the first LED ON too... I don't know, this is weird.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I've tried putting all saves into the SDCARD, then creating one again just to check it isn't that some sector on the internal wii memory is all screwed up and it still happens. I also tried not creating any save at all but still crashes...
frown.gif
I've gone through specially harsh situations to play this game so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
Your burn is bad.
Thank you for your answer, arctic - but are you certain that's the problem? I might try again, but... considering the fact that each DL DVD costs me around 4 euro (~=5,5 dollars, 3 pounds), I'd like to be completely sure there's nothing else I might be doing wrong or that might have affected the burning proccess.

EDIT: I've been asking a friend about this and he says what comes next is a video. That it gets stuck when trying to load the video... If so, might it be because the DVD sector that had it recorded is damaged somehow? (No scratches at all tho... dunno).

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, seeing as no one has answers I'll just go and buy another DL DVD when shops are open. I'll be telling bout the results...

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bad burn. since the video is on the second layer of disc...

Next time try with Layer break, last time i could not manage to make it run without layer break. And make sure you use a make in Singapore Verbatim, not a made in India one

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maktub said:
So, I think the title kinda explains it all. I'm using a backup disc of a PAL version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and it won't get past the screen when it asks whether I want to create a new save or not. I create a save, then it tells: you won't be able to save replays longer than 3 minutes. I accept... I get a white screen. That's all. I used a verbatim DL disc and IMGBurn. It should work, I've done all I considered important... The Layer break was set on auto for the IMGBurn config. and that's all of it. Some help, fellow tempers?

Thanks,

Maktub.
This was the process I had to use to get SSBB working on a PAL system using the NTSC (USA) version:
1. change display from 60Hz to 50Hz in Wii system settings.
2. load game, and turn deflicker option off.
3. restart wii, change display from 50Hz to 60Hz in Wii system settings.
4. Turn Wii off.
5. Turn Wii on, and load game. The part where you should see the wrist-strap info, and the "loading screen" doesn't display, but just wait it out and the picture returns after the game has loaded.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
He's using the PAL version, so there should be no region problems.

The Wii seems incredibly picky about DL discs. The burn has to be good, or the Wii drive won't be able to read it.

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arctic_flame said:

The Wii seems incredibly picky about DL discs. The burn has to be good, or the Wii drive won't be able to read it.

Totally agree. Last time i tried 6 discs before can get a working one. The total cost is nearly equal of the original, but i wanna play an English version on Jap wii so no choice
frown.gif

Even the some Wii cannot read the original disc.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So... I guess I should go on copying DL discs..?

From last arctic_flame's post I suppose the burn is good so there should be another problem? It's very weird, makes no sense that it works up to a point only. Also, answering fly_us' post: I used layerbreak, but I set it on auto. I read there was a parameter (number) I should set, but can't find it anymore... could anyone recommend me a setting for the layerbreak feature in IMGBurn? Thank you.

fly_us

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the value is 2084960

My recommendation is try to burn with a Singapore Verbatim DVD+R DL disc, set layer break at above value, 4x or 2.4x.

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot, fly_us
smile.gif

I'll try that way. The Verbatim disc I used... I have no idea if it's Singapore but I think so since it wasn't a bargain... I used 2,4x, only thing left to try is the layer break value. I'll tell you tomorrow!

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:

Perhaps I should clarify: before using this process, the game would not go past the create save screen; thought it may be a similar problem - it can't hurt to try.

If you're going to burn - use the fastest speed you can - 4x or faster. I've been using 2.4x Verbatim DVD+R DL and burning at 4x - never had a problem (movie or game).

Maktub

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Meksilon said:
arctic_flame said:

Perhaps I should clarify: before using this process, the game would not go past the create save screen; thought it may be a similar problem - it can't hurt to try.

If you're going to burn - use the fastest speed you can - 4x or faster. I've been using 2.4x Verbatim DVD+R DL and burning at 4x - never had a problem (movie or game).
I'll stick to 2,4x for this time, no hurries as long as the game works in the end... Gonna try right now!

Kokorazashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone know where I can get like a single disc or 5 for cheap of Verbatim DLs? Because I've been wanting to burn SSBB for a long time but I can't seeing as I don't have good quality DLs. D:

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maktub said:
I'll stick to 2,4x for this time, no hurries as long as the game works in the end... Gonna try right now!
It's not about rushing the burn, it's about quality. Slow burns heat the disc up too much, and because the disc takes loner to cool the data isn't burnt as well as a good high speed burn. 4x is still an entirely linear burn, so it can't possibly be a worse quality burn. At any rate, the disc is fully rated to be burnt up to 6x; here are links to the official product website (there are only two DVD+R DL Verbatim discs):

MKM 003 - this is the disc that has 8x on the label.

MKM 001 - this is the disc that has 2.4x on the label (or printed on the inside rim of the disc). You'll notice in the product features it says:
  • Verbatim DVD+R DL discs burn up to 6X speed with compatible high speed DVD+R DL drives. Saving you about 20 minutes per burn
  • 8.5 Gbyte's of storage capacity on a single-sided disc--No need to flip the disc
  • Largest compatible DVD back-up and data archiving format for computer drives
  • Record 4 hours of DVD quality television and video (16 hours of VHS quality)
  • Supported by high speed Double Layer writers, up to 6X, burn 8.5GB in approximately 16 minutes
  • Compatible with DVD+R DL drives from Sony, Philips, Lite On and other leading manufacturers
  • Ideal for archiving home movies
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
Still, it is me being a bit over-obsessed with quality, cause it may make no real difference to the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end