OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Download here : http://www.tepetaklak.com/data/frodosrc.rar

Here is the readme :

Custom Frodo to load And save C64 VC game snapshots.
by WiiCrazy (I.R.on)

Changes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07/10/2008 : Source release (Sound working, vic state enchanced(?))
Tweaked to work in Visual Studio 2008 hence it's a bit deviated from original source, original can
be downloaded from http://frodo.cebix.net/
You need to have directx sdk installed or have the necessary libraries from directx sdk and set
those in vs ide.

Technical Details
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This custom frodo is based on the snapshot that comes with International Karate VC game
and currently limited to the single file games.

C64 VC emulator on Wii is probably a Frodo ported to this platform with changes
in interface, controls and snapshot format.

Frodo snapshot contains various chips states along with the contents of C64 RAM, 1541 RAM
so on. Currently some of those state information is restored in the patched snapshot.
The rest will come from the international karate snapshot file. Currently only ram, cpu, sid
and vic state is restored. There are problems with the cia chips state. But that should not
be a problem for most of the games.

Usage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all you need the snapshot from International Karate game to make use of this. It's in
the LZ77_snapshot.bin file. You need to decompress it first with gbalzss tool. I'm not going into
details of how this file can be obtained. Once you got the decompressed snapshot file
(it should be 68,928 bytes), name it as ik.fss and put it in the same folder as this app.

Load a single file game in custom Frodo (in the preferences set the d64 file and load the game)
Preferably in the crack intro or trainer (if there is any) or in any part of the game take a snapshot
using Patch and Save snapshot option under Tools.

Compress your taken snapshot with the gbalzss tool and replace the LZ77_snapshot.bin file in the
original international karate wad file. Now you have an injected c64 VC game! Enjoy
smile.gif

Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bo_Frost : Finding out the snapshot thing and testing it packing, unpacking wads!
FGOD, Da_GPer : Keeping the topic alive and supplying information

Additional Info around injection
BEWARE : non modded wii owners, take extra caution to change and install wads since the custom wad install can cause semi-bricks with incorrect banners and stuff. I am not responsible for any damage you got following the below guide. Take necessary steps before trying to change and install any custom wad!
---------------------------------------------------

A. Getting LZ77_snapshot.bin
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. Unpack the international karate wad
2. Extract the contents of the 5.app u8 archive
3. There you have LZ77_snapshot.bin, using
gbalzss d LZ77_snapshot.bin ik.fss
decompress LZ77_snapshot.bin file with name ik.fss, and put this into the folder where the custom frodo resides.

B. Creating snapshot for injection
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. Open Custom Frodo, load the game to inject using a disk image (d64 file).
a. Tools/Preferences 8-> Browse and select d64 file. On C64 Basic prompt type LOAD"$",8:LIST
b. Type LOAD"GAMENAME",8:RUN
2. Once the game loaded and ran, select Tools->Patch and Save snapshot and give a name to your snapshot and save. (default is snap.fss)
3. Test your game if it loads using the Load Snapshot option, if it doesn't, try taking the snapshot elsewhere in the game.

C. Injecting
1. Compress your snapshot using gbalzss tool, like gbalzss e snap.fss LZ77_snapshot.bin
2. Copy (and overwrite the file with the same name) the produced LZ77_snapshot.bin file to the folder where you extracted the 5.app file.
3. Using u8coes.exe tool reconstruct the 5.app file. Run u8coes.exe, select the 5.app file you extracted out of the wad as original u8 file. The next folder will be automatically selected. For U8 archive to save, point to a safe and known location and click the create button. Now copy created 5.app file to its original location and overwrite the one there.
4. If your wii is not pal then you need to patch the 1.app file using Wii Generic Patcher to change video mode.
5. The rest is wad packing as usual and if your wii is not pal then you should use the freethewads to region free the resulting wad.

Sorry I am not that good at creating easy to use guides
frown.gif

Advice : After the "A. Getting LZ77_snapshot.bin" part make a backup copy of the wad contents or 5.app file so that when you want to inject another game you don't need to find a clean 5.app file. And after you got the ik.fss file you don't need to repeat this step to inject another game.

Reactions: SaulFabre

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
FGOD said:
you're welcome wiicrazy :-)

i hope some can figure how to inject multiple game file games...
but this already more then we hoped for :-)

ps: going to try and make a giana sisters wad myself. damn i loved that game back in the days...

I'll be working on that. If I had a pal machine things would be a lot easier, yet there is now an open door in the emu so that I can run any c64 utilities out there. Also I'll look at other c64 vc titles to find the right snapshot format.

Btw, what would be the most interesting disk based c64 game to play on wii? Last Ninja Series?

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
i loved the maniac mansion for C64 but another one i really loved was turbo outrun and run the gauntlet...

but if you need somebody to test the pal versions... i would love to test them for you although you still have a delay cause you have to wait for me everytime, so yeah, a pal wii would be great, but maybe you could do that with any region changer...

edit: btw, the other gbalzss from you worked, i guess i had the wrong version like you said...

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is very very cool indeed. Even yesterday I was thinking how cool it would be to play C64 games on Wii. And now this is released. The only downside is that when I was halfway through reading the tutorial I got dizzy and a terrible headache. All this technical stuff hurts my feeble little brain.

Bo Frost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you can play all lucasgames/arts adventures like maniac mansion in scummVM very comfortable.

what i would like to play is pirates! a 2 disc game. a lot of files in those 2 disks.

btw. i injected zorro and bruce lee but both dont work right.
they run normally but in zorro the player does not appear and in bruce lee controls dont work.

giana runs perfect!
tongue.gif

edit:this is a bit offtopic but i just thought how nice it would be if you could modify a competition pro joystick to play those games on wii. with the wiimote you dont get the authentic feeling. dont know if this is possible, anyone?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Wets self*

*Prepares to inject H.E.R.O.*

Well ok I can pretty much emulate it on my Xbox & Dreamcast but they need plugging in so sweet stuff indeed.

Ta very much.

EDIT: Ah fuckery keeps crashing on me. I'll wait for something else I guess
frown.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Bo Frost said:
you can play all lucasgames/arts adventures like maniac mansion in scummVM very comfortable.

what i would like to play is pirates! a 2 disc game. a lot of files in those 2 disks.

btw. i injected zorro and bruce lee but both dont work right.
they run normally but in zorro the player does not appear and in bruce lee controls dont work.

giana runs perfect!
tongue.gif

edit:this is a bit offtopic but i just thought how nice it would be if you could modify a competition pro joystick to play those games on wii. with the wiimote you dont get the authentic feeling. dont know if this is possible, anyone?

Try taking the snapshot before the game starts, the snapshot is nowhere near perfect. Probably unrestored cia state causing the problem. But in theory you could successfully load every single game if you take the snapshot after loading and typing run, then you can complete the enter keypress in the wii at every start of the game. Or you can compress (crunch) the game on the c64 side and you can take the snapshot near the completion of decompression which doesn't rely on vic or cia state much. Well in short you can run every single file game that the wii emu supports actually
smile.gif

edit: About the bruce lee problem, possible solution is either use the second wiimote or gc controller plugged in the second gc port?

Da_GPer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just used the program to inject Boulder Dash into the snapshot file. After following the instructions, the WAD didnt work on my Wii.
frown.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Da_GPer said:
I just used the program to inject Boulder Dash into the snapshot file. After following the instructions, the WAD didnt work on my Wii.
frown.gif

Today, I'll have a go at some games too.. let's see, what's working, what's not working...
namely : Boulder Dash, Commando, Lazy Jones and maybe a few others

edit :
Commando (working, but make sure you take the snapshot before the initial screen is displayed)
Boulder Dash (working, you need to start with the second wiimote or gc controller)
Lazy Jones (possibly this will work too, so I am not testing it
smile.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...