All right so I've been doing some reading up on the Coronavirus, since I've apparently got some details wrong. Most of what I read about it comes from Wikipedia, and it's well worth the read for anyone concerned for their safety.
What is COVID-19?
Basically, it's a fancy way of saying Coronavirus. It's a virus that targets the lungs and throat. Some sources claim it is natural in origin, being transmitted from animals in the area. Conspiracy sites suggest bioengineering was involved, but no proof of that exists at this time.
Where does it come from?
The earliest known case of COVID-19 comes from Wuhan, China, in November 2019, although some places report that it has existed since the beginning of the 21st century.
How does it get spread?
Like most respiratory viruses, it is spread by coughing/sneezing it into the air and exposing it to mucus membranes.
What does it do?
It causes a number of flu-like symptoms, including fever, coughing, and fatigue. Uncommon, but still possible, symptoms include aches and pains, coughing up mucus, and diarrhea. The most serious cases attack the immune system, decreasing the amount of white blood cells and causing kidney failure.
How widespread is it?
It is a global disease. Countries with the largest amounts of COVID-19 include China, Italy, South Korea, and the United States.
How severe is it?
Most people have the mildest symptoms of it, and recover from it within two weeks' time. More severe cases may take 3 weeks to a couple of months to recover. A very small margin of the world actually die with the disease, something less than 5% of the entire world. Those under the age of 60 have a good chance of recovery, while those older are at risk and should be treated as soon as symptoms occur. Those with compromised immune symptoms are also at risk, with those having heart or lung problems at the greatest risk. Graphs shown indicate the impact on China.
What should I do to prevent getting COVID-19?
A lot of people are hoarding consumables in the event of a zombie invasion uncurable pandemic. However, this really isn't the appropriate action. Basically, you treat it like any other virus.
- Stay away from people who you suspect have it. Wear a mask if you have to be around such people.
- Wash your hands. Constantly. You're trying to prevent spreading the disease, arnt'cha?
- Make sure you wash and/or properly cook food to kill any bacteria that could weaken your immune system.
- If you touch something in public, avoid touching your face until you can wash your hands.
- Keep sanitizers and antibacterial wipes on your person, especially the kind known to kill some viruses on contact. Use them if you can't get to a restroom to wash off.
What should I do if I have COVID-19?
Don't panic! It's quite possible that you'll recover from it. Just try to take the appropriate actions.
- Treat it like the flu. Take medicines for symptoms, and rest often.
- Eat healthy. Take in broths and plenty of other fluids.
- Wear a mask if you are out in public, to prevent spreading the disease. Trash the mask once you recover from the virus. Do NOT share masks with others!
- Be careful of what you touch, and try to keep your hands clean. Since you're infected, you may want to wear gloves (I recommend disposable nitrile gloves) so you don't spread it to others. Don't touch your body while wearing them.
If everything seems hopeless, get down on your knees and pray! Probably my best suggestion yet, but that's just my opinion.
You need to be logged in to comment