ROM Hack [Zelda: TFH] Patched-out sounds still playing??

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been editing Zelda: Tri Force Heroes by patching out certain audio to achieve different effects, and for the next step I wanted to edit out all audio except the "8-bit" sounds. For this, I've located every non-8-bit BCWAV in the game's BCSAR archive and every non-8-bit BCSTM in the Stream folder, and silenced them by zeroing the entire files below the DATA header. I've done this for both the game CIA and the DLC/update CIA.

No problems with the previous edits, but this time, a handful of the sounds that should have been silenced in the BCSARs are still playing in the game! They're mainly some voices and background noises like wind, fire, water, etc.. Also, they tend to start at a lower volume and quickly fade-in to full volume.

This leads me to think certain sounds are stored somewhere else in the RomFS and the game's playing them from this other location, but I can't find them anywhere. Any ideas what's going on?

I don't know much about environment/NPC models (the game uses BCH), but is it possible they're embedded in there?

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Friendly li'l *bump* since it's been a few weeks.

I have another topic with 0 replies, I'll hold off on bumping it, but check it from my profile if you want.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't believe sound files can be held in .bch, I have no experience with Tri-Force/BCSAR all I can put forward is what method are using when replacing the files? are you using a NTR LayeredFS? I've had a few cases in the past where LayeredFS would not load my modified files, can't recall the exact situation, feel like just restarting NTR did the trick another time.

I can't imagine they are storing the sounds multiple times.

As for your other topic, have you tried various versions of Ohana3DS? it was a nightmare messing with textures when it came to Dragon Quest 8 .bch files, maybe try an older version (pre rebirth) if you can't find one that does the trick I've no suggestions, I've not seen any updates to Ohana3DS in months, there is a python script bch2png but it doesn't seem to work on the files I still have from DQ8, don't have any other .bch files sitting on my HDD to test

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not entirely sure what NTR or LayeredFS are, but basically I'm extracting/rebuilding the .cia of both the game itself and the V2.1 update. Those .cia's have slightly different audio archives (the update adds a few additional voices) but they're both getting mostly silenced just the same. Then I re-encrypt them both and install them with FBI. It sounds like this NTR thing could be the key, but I'm still a noob when it comes to hardware/firmware stuff. :(

About the other topic: I've tried a few versions of Ohana3DS, to no success. I'll try that Python script; other than that, my new theory is that the textures are actually ETC1 encoded, not ETC1A4. A few of the .bch models have separate alpha textures, which wouldn't be necessary with ETC1A4. If the Python script doesn't do the trick, I may be able to extract them with a hex editor (and a bit of studying the ETC1 structure so that I know WTF to edit).

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ARGH, had to install PIL, but it wouldn't detect Python in my registry, so I used Pillow instead, but had to install Pip first since Pillow was a wheel... Finally got all that, and bch2png throws a "list index out of range" error. :rofl:

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I figured out the error was referring to arguments of the Python script... silly me. But even with the arguments, it's not producing anything; not even printing any text. I was using Smealum's script at https://gist.github.com/smealum/9394125

Elsewhere, I found an executable bch2png, but it doesn't support various mip-map levels, and the .pngs it produces have the same transparency errors.

Anyway if somebody knows where I could get some ETC1-encoded images, that'd be great. All I can find is discussions of them, and converters for platforms I can't use. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16