Gaming zelda MMO (speculation and debate)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess if they did some kind of 4 swords thing, but make it "infinite" swords and maybe swing some other characters in there.
I doubt there is one in the making,but if they did make it, I'm sure Nintendo can pull it off.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to disagree with you. there isnt just hyrule, link, zelda, and ganondorf. you have termina, you have the places from oracle of ages and seasons, you have the place from links awakening, you have the twilight relm, the dark world and of coarse all the legends each territory holds. there is more than enough to build an mmo off of. matter of fact, it could even it perfectly in the "timeline". after ocarina of time, gannondorf return, and there is no link to stop him, but that dosnt mean everyone sat around and said "oh, well we have no hero of time to save our ass, so lets just let this big ol, bad guy with the triforce of power whipe us all out. im sure that gorons, zora, hylians, and even the kokiri, went to march in and try to kick some gannon ass! :D anyway, the point im making by bringing up that portion of the "timeline" is that, really there is no way possible to make the most exciting part of the "timeline", a single player game, or not a game at all, so an mmo format would be perfect for that part of the story.

But there's practically nothing to base a MMO on.

Most MMOs from franchises come from franchises with an incredible amount of lore. Star Trek, Star Wars, stuff like that. Zelda is no where near the level of those two in terms of lore and setting. Most of the other popular MMOs (Rift, Guild Wars) have made their own set of lore. Zelda is just too rigid and honestly shallow to make anything deep from it. There's only one conflict in the series, there's only a handful of locales (even if the setting is the same they basically still have the same exact locales), and the timeline is a jumbled mess only made possible by non-canon endings and events unknown to any Zelda player.

Also, how would the game even play? You'd expect a Zelda MMO to play like a Zelda MMO, but that wouldn't work. They were able to fit four people into Four Swords, but you really think that'll work for a party of eight? Or that you'll be able to base an entire MMO around just playing Four Swords? Where's the in-game economy? Where's the diverse array of tasks? It simply doesn't work.

Zelda as a MMO just doesn't work.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted User

i have to disagree with you. there isnt just hyrule, link, zelda, and ganondorf. you have termina, you have the places from oracle of ages and seasons, you have the place from links awakening, you have the twilight relm, the dark world and of coarse all the legends each territory holds. there is more than enough to build an mmo off of. matter of fact, it could even it perfectly in the "timeline". after ocarina of time, gannondorf return, and there is no link to stop him, but that dosnt mean everyone sat around and said "oh, well we have no hero of time to save our ass, so lets just let this big ol, bad guy with the triforce of power whipe us all out. im sure that gorons, zora, hylians, and even the kokiri, went to march in and try to kick some gannon ass! :D anyway, the point im making by bringing up that portion of the "timeline" is that, really there is no way possible to make the most exciting part of the "timeline", a single player game, or not a game at all, so an mmo format would be perfect for that part of the story.

Most MMOs from franchises come from franchises with an incredible amount of lore. Star Trek, Star Wars, stuff like that. Zelda is no where near the level of those two in terms of lore and setting. Most of the other popular MMOs (Rift, Guild Wars) have made their own set of lore. Zelda is just too rigid and honestly shallow to make anything deep from it. There's only one conflict in the series, there's only a handful of locales (even if the setting is the same they basically still have the same exact locales), and the timeline is a jumbled mess only made possible by non-canon endings and events unknown to any Zelda player.

Also, how would the game even play? You'd expect a Zelda MMO to play like a Zelda MMO, but that wouldn't work. They were able to fit four people into Four Swords, but you really think that'll work for a party of eight? Or that you'll be able to base an entire MMO around just playing Four Swords? Where's the in-game economy? Where's the diverse array of tasks? It simply doesn't work.

I wouldn't mind getting spammed by a Rupee seller

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP

final fantasy has less everything than zelda, yet it has an mmo, and you cant denie that either :P the issue is your hell bent on making it sound like it wont work. if its done the right way then it could be very enjoyable., and i think the fan made mmo proved that by the amount of interest that was put into it at the time of its development (before nintendo shut it down).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
y has less everything than zelda, yet it has an mmo, and you cant denie that either :P

Are you serious? Final Fantasy has WAY more than Zelda in terms of environment and characters and I'm not even a real fan of the series.

Now their MMOs are kinda shitty from what I understand but they still have the foundation to build one.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I agree with Guild on that one. Especially since no game has anything to do with another (except for the sequels and spinoffs), they can be MMOed...
Zelda on the other hand, is based on the small little universe. The furthest I can stretch my mind into is an online four swords game..., maybe with many many quests, and some lobby of some kind, but not MMO, just MO (multiplayer online).

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I frown at the entire idea of a zelda mmo...
But if they did make something like that, the players wouldn't all be Link, there's races. don't most mmo games have like... 5 classes to choose from?
I'd say it would never be successful, but on the other hand it IS Zelda we're talking about here. Parent's money will be spent.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah, wouldn't work
If nintendo has to put any effort in experimenting with MMO.... Pokemon is a better choice.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
nah, wouldn't work
If nintendo has to put any effort in experimenting with MMO.... Pokemon is a better choice.
Yeah, that would be something really awesome to see, a pokemon game where people could create and costumize their characters, pick one of the three starters out of all the dif regions (you picked a starting region and get the starts from the region you chose), being able to catch your pokemon in the wild and fight other trainers, both NPC's and players, that would make an awesome PVP, players should also have ranks based on how many gyms they've defeated (each region would have the normal level'd gyms and then the following regions would have even more powerful gyms (like it happened on gold/silver/crystal), however the levels for each would depend from the starting region), etc etc etc. xP
Now that would be a pokemon game I'd like to play. x3

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda Universe
Wii U

Hmm...

Well I'd still bet on a Pokemon MMO being just as likely (although it would suck a$$ with 5 year olds constantly "haxxoring" their pokemon).

Still it would be interesting facing bosses with others (team work much?) or simply duking it out against a friend across Hyrule.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The registration of the name definitely holds a lot of weight to me, but at the same time, I can't IMAGINE Nintendo doing this... Simply put, it's just not their style. And besides, I think Zelda would be a HORRIBLE choice for an MMO (not fanboy hating it, just saying that if it was done, it either would be a great MMO that's nothing like Zelda, or it would be a horrible MMO that's a lot like zelda). If they simply MUST choose an existing franchise for an MMO, they should do Pokemon instead (I'm not kidding either), but personally I think they should just flat out make a new story and world for it.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing that could possibly kill a Pokemon MMO though: Pokemon duels all over the place, where you just hear spams of "Chari-pika-freeee-mew-gar!" I could honestly seeing Nintendo making that mistake ^^;;

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I certainly hope not. I don't see how it would work. I guess they could do something like LOTRO... Regardless I doubt I'd play it, and if that's what the next Zelda will be I'll lose a big part of my motivation to buy a WiiU.

RichardLaughter

OP
Trophies
XP
its funny, "reffering to mentioners of the pokemon mmo idea". i actually emailed a nintendo employee about doing the for both 3ds and wiiu, and the answer he gave me was a little different than the usual "nintendo has no plans of this, have a nice day." instead the guy told me that my idea was a great one, but the developers could have already thought of this and may have come up with one better". i know no one won't believe without proof nor is it a conformation, but meh, thats an unusual reply. :)

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love OoT3D gameplay with multiplayer.
I think if they limited a number of people to dungeon raids at a time then puzzles would still work.
EDIT: Didn't notice I was in the Wii U section. No, they confirmed that the next Zelda game would be fore the 3DS IIRC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1