Gaming Zelda: Breath of the NES fan-game has been DMCA'd by Nintendo.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly think that if the game was any good it could be done without copying Nintendo's IP. Just swap out the sprites and slap a new name on it.

Hell, that should be the plan from the beginning. Make it a "clone" or whatever in order to get attention, then once you get the attention and the legal slap dump out all of the Nintendo stuff and make it your own. If the core gameplay and story is any good it should still stand on it's own even if the setting and characters change. Otherwise then it's nothing more than a small step up over the CD-i games that we all pretend to like because it's new or something.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its time to go in the back and "fire one up".

vkbuqFa.jpg

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not all but most of those fan games seems to be made to achieve 15 minutes of fame in the wake of some popular release. This one specifically was in a site that accepted donations.

If you're talented or have something worth of showing you can do better than mimic something else using proprietary assets.

The fans makes things like this even worse because I've seen a lot of mediocre showcases (x in unreal4, village y in 3d, badly scaled ms paint retexture etc) where the "fans" scream things like "random guy does what nintendon't" which I think only stimulates them to take action to stop any kind of comparison no matter if there is or isn't any truth in the declaration.

Just take a look at ZeldaClassic, awesome tool, capable of recreating and creating 2D Zeldas, 14 years in the making, uses the name Zelda both for the tool and also in the site but don't claim to be better or try to showoff on every popular gaming site.

Last edited by ReBirFh,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Using randomly found USBs is a security risk. Do you have any idea the potential that people can use them for so others can use it on their own PCs?
I do, as I am a seasoned A+ certified computer technician. I know the risks, and still check out USB sticks I find laying around. It's usually best if I find a resume, so I can mail it back to the person who lost it. But I also check them from within Linux, so there's virtually no risk to me.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, as I am a seasoned A+ certified computer technician. I know the risks, and still check out USB sticks I find laying around. It's usually best if I find a resume, so I can mail it back to the person who lost it. But I also check them from within Linux, so there's virtually no risk to me.
The Operating system is no different than if it was a Windows PC. A device with any sort of bios it can hide away into it and infect other devices connected, your HDD, and possibly the network depending how sophisticated the attack was. I recommend a course in security+ if you have the time.

I'd also read about badusb, if you understood its potential you'd smash any USB lying around that didnt belong to you.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The Operating system is no different than if it was a Windows PC. A device with any sort of bios it can hide away into it and infect other devices connected, your HDD, and possibly the network depending how sophisticated the attack was. I recommend a course in security+ if you have the time.

I'd also read about badusb, if you understood its potential you'd smash any USB lying around that didnt belong to you.
I'm well-aware of badusb, and you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than running into one of those. The chipsets vulnerable are slim, and the people with those rare chipsets who would even bother wasting their time with such shenanigans is even slimmer.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm well-aware of badusb, and you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than running into one of those. The chipsets vulnerable are slim, and the people with those rare chipsets who would even bother wasting their time with such shenanigans is even slimmer.
Thats not a risk I'm willing to take. At least you admit the threat is real and I agree its a very small chance, but still a chance regardless.

For something like this anyways its much more economical to make a printout to different links to download from including mega and google. Copy+paste the links onto a single sheet and spread around to various places like you suggested.

D

Deleted User

That was fast. I was never going to play this but it still sucks seeing fan projects getting taken down. I hope that in a few years Link's Awakening 64 actually does get released, but I doubt it.

jorgetg

Trophies
XP
Country
I really like Nintendo's games, but I really wish that their corporate/legal side wasn't so trigger happy with this kind of stuff. SEGA on the other hand embraces it and even encourages it; they may be out of the console business, but in this case SEGA really does what Nintendo'nt.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just now noticed this and everyone seem to be upset. Well what would y'all expect? This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Plus, I don't mind this at all. Nintendo does have the right to protect their IP anyway, but I wouldn't say it's ridiculous.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just now noticed this and everyone seem to be upset. Well what would y'all expect? This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Plus, I don't mind this at all. Nintendo does have the right to protect their IP anyway, but I wouldn't say it's ridiculous.
Disagree if you would like, but I wish Nintendo would embrace stuff like this and maybe even higher the people and sell the stuff. The creator gets money, Ninty gets money. Everyone is happy. I just feel like Nintendo misses a lot of opportunities with the fan projects.
Like, if PM became an official Ninty Product, I would buy that in a heart beat! But no, no... They just shut it down like everything else.:sleep:

PM is 80% of the reason I choose to be a "bad consumer" to Nintendo.

Look at Valve, they have made a KILLING from mods such as they hunger, Garry's mod and counter strike. If only Nintendo would have the same mindset :(

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Not in the slightest. Haha.

I'm not really against fangames. Thete's a bunch I tried out and liked and it shows how much people loved a franchise, BUT I do have to side with Nintendo shutting down fangames. I wouldn't argue about it. You're using their IP without permission. Very understanding.

I did hear the, "Nintendo should hire these people. They'll make money with these fangames" comments alot. While that's not a bad idea, Nintendo still have a lot of money. They're nowhere near close to bankruptcy, so fangames are not acceptable to their interest yet.

Now, as for IP. If fans created a different game with the same mechanics, it wouldn't matter since every game shares a type of mechanics. Though, using characters such as Mario or even have their IP in the name of a title, it's a red flag.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. Not in the slightest. Haha.

I'm not really against fangames. Thete's a bunch I tried out and liked and it shows how much people loved a franchise, BUT I do have to side with Nintendo shutting down fangames. I wouldn't argue about it. You're using their IP without permission. Very understanding.

I did hear the, "Nintendo should hire these people. They'll make money with these fangames" comments alot. While that's not a bad idea, Nintendo still have a lot of money. They're nowhere near close to bankruptcy, so fangames are not acceptable to their interest yet.

Now, as for IP. If fans created a different game with the same mechanics, it wouldn't matter since every game shares a type of mechanics. Though, using characters such as Mario or even have their IP in the name of a title, it's a red flag.
This. Also I wanted to add that quite often it seems these fan games are just trying to ride off the coattails of Nintendo in order to get attention. If the game was any good, they could simply swap out the names (Mario -> Antonio, etc) and replace all Nintendo IP with their own. I can understand making a big announcement about your game being a Nintendo style game to get the attention, waiting for the slapdown, then reannouncing your game as something totally not related to Nintendo (*wink* *wink*). But these people get the attention, act all surprised when they get the slapdown, then basically abandon their work. Pokemon Uranium on Steam would've been amazing, if they came up with their own creatures and region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free