Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I love listening to Japanese, even though I don't speak a word of it. Playing VLR though I learned how to count down from 20, and a few other phrases that popped up regularly. I thought it was funny how the English subtitles used slightly different wording each time but I heard the exact same phrase being said :-p

Original audio is always best - even if you can't understand it, the emotional content will be stronger and the characters sound how the original game producer imagined them. Have you heard French dubbed The Simpsons? Sounds HORRIBLE!

Reactions: Kappcy

Takfloyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
While OP's posts read like a parody ala "Ken-sama", there's an undeniable need for this undub because from what we've heard of the English dub, it's just not good.

However, it won't be as simple as loading the Japanese voice track. I can almost guarantee that the western Wii U version will not come with the Japanese audio - Aonuma specifically said it was possible to play in Japanese *on the Switch*, and we know that the Switch version of the game has a bigger file size. It's not possible to change the system language on Wii U to Japanese in the west, like it is on the Switch, so there would be no reason to include that voice language. Presumably, someone will need to get a Japanese Wii U copy of the game and mod the files over. It might be more complicated as well, if the lipsync is different between languages and the Japanese animation data isn't on the disc in the west.

I hope someone will be up to the task though, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Shawnj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel that, due to Japanese sentence structure being different from English, that body language and emotions always match up better on the Japanese language version than a dub ever can manage. The visual content is rarely-if-ever redone to match the restructuring of English.

For Zelda it won't be ~as~ big of an issue as something like a Final Fantasy game or an anime series, but realize that some of us are just looking for extra options, not a forced change for everyone. :P

maybe a better idea would just be to disable voice acting entirely, and only use subtitles.

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope so. I never really wanted voice acting in a Zelda game - I was happy with the little cries you got at certain points. But if they're going with voice acting I'd much rather have Japanese with English subtitles, the English voices in the trailer were bloody awful.

Reactions: Quantumcat

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is something funny about this request.

There is no such thing as "undub" in this. It's not like there is a real life zelda who is japanese and acts her own role in the game.

It's dubbed too, except by japanese people.

It's ok being a "japanophile", or even a "weeaboo" as some might say. But trying to hide this behind excuses like "the emotion is lost in the dubbing" does not make sense for this is not a movie.

English dubbing could be even better than japanese dubbing btw.

Takfloyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There is something funny about this request.

There is no such thing as "undub" in this. It's not like there is a real life zelda who is japanese and acts her own role in the game.

It's dubbed too, except by japanese people.

It's ok being a "japanophile", or even a "weeaboo" as some might say. But trying to hide this behind excuses like "the emotion is lost in the dubbing" does not make sense for this is not a movie.

English dubbing could be even better than japanese dubbing btw.

OP used the term undub correctly, you are the one who is clearly out of your element on this topic. And we already know for a fact that the English voice acting is bad, and that the Japanese voice acting is good.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
OP used the term undub correctly, you are the one who is clearly out of your element on this topic. And we already know for a fact that the English voice acting is bad, and that the Japanese voice acting is good.
What you just gave was a personal opinion. The Japanese voiceacting might be terrible for some, others maybe not? So no, it's not a fact.

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing as how this will pretty much be required for me to enjoy the game (native language is always the best language for all forms of entertainment) is there anyone who plans on making that patch for the Wii U version very-shortly after launch? Rumor says the audio will be on disc and just needs forced to load.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...support_a_japanese_dub_over_english_subtitles

Well the trailers from Nintendo Europe were in so many languages and I was really surprised at how good French was, English aint bad either. Though that Crying Zelda scene was much more intense in Japanese.

D

Deleted User

Well the trailers from Nintendo Europe were in so many languages and I was really surprised at how good French was, English aint bad either. Though that Crying Zelda scene was much more intense in Japanese.
Japanese people are great when it comes to voice acting.
Just look at anime, their movies, everything. It's just... perfect.

TobiasAmaranth

OP
Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
English and Russian are the worst two it feels like...

So, yeah, here's hoping we are able to undub this pretty quickly. I'll be holding off on jumping into the game if there's really no Japanese language option built in. Do we have confirmation of this at this point?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed