Hacking YSMenu for R4 SDHC

cocomedv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is not another description how to install YSMenu on the flashcart!

Like some other people here I have a R4 SDHC card from r4i-sdhc.com and installed YSMenu as replacement for Moonshell in the original menu loader.
Just replacing the R4.dat on the SDHC with YSMenu did not work and resulted in the famous "?Menu" Error.

This was annoying, so I decided to put some efforts into this issue.

I solved it like this:

1. Prepare YSMenu to work on your card using one of the many tutorials already online
2. Replace the R4.dat with YSMenu.nds (some people use YSMenu.dat instead of YSMenu.nds)
3. Hexedit the R4.dat file (that is the renamed YSMenu!)

Code:
OffsetÂÂoldÂÂnew
000002EC: 23 49
00000314: E8 E4
00000344: CC B8
00000404: 00 A8
00000405: 00 05
00000407: 0B 02
00000418: A8 D8
00000419: 05 FF
0000041A: 00 FF
0000041B: 02 EA

4. Save the changes and try to boot directly to YSMenu in your NDS now
smile.gif

Please write feedback here and let people know if it also works for you...

cocomedv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, to explain in more detail:

You can use YSMenu as loader (firmware) on a lot of flashcarts, including the R4 SDHC and R4i SDHC from r4i-sdhc.com. That is what I also do, because I like YSMenu much more than the provided software. To use YSMenu on these cards you need to load the original firmware first and use it to start YSMenu. On many other cards you can just replace the original menu software (e.g. TTMENU.DAT) with YSMenu by just renaming and replacing the file.

On the cards from r4i-sdhc.com this is not easily possible, because the card will not load the firmware when it is not the original software provided on their website. I could reverse the protection they used to verify if the menu software is valid and patched YSMenu to conform to their format.

P.S.: I used the DSTT version of YSMenu dated 2009/03/21 17:00, will check the 2009/03/27 00:00 version later.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
outgum said:
ummmm, to my understanding, YSMenu doesnt work on SDHC so like.... yeah....
Ill be keen to find out if someone tests this and it works
It works, but it's pointless. The official firmware does everything YSmenu does, except new game compatability on pre-1.4 versions. It's a DSTT clone though, so renaming the latest unofficial TTDS firmware to a .nds file lets you boot it from your Games menu, giving you new game compatability without any YSmenu hassle.

Reactions: Margen67

cocomedv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, it may be pointless for 99% of the people here. But I remember at least 2 old threads where people where discussion this exact matter. So let's just say I share this "obsolete" information with people who can make use of it and everybody else can sefely ignore it
wink.gif

btw, just using the unofficial DSTT firmware will not work with this card, because the card will not boot into the firmware but show the "?MENU" error instead.

So this thread is only for you if:
- you are using a flashcart from r4i-sdhc.com
- you want to use YSMenu with it
- you don't want to use the original firmware for this card

ok, now do whatever you want with this thread. I will not come back to share any information anymore.

gratura

Trophies
XP
Country
cocomedv said:

Like some other people here I have a R4 SDHC card from r4i-sdhc.com and installed YSMenu as replacement for Moonshell in the original menu loader.
Just replacing the R4.dat on the SDHC with YSMenu did not work and resulted in the famous "?Menu" Error.

I solved it like this:

1. Prepare YSMenu to work on your card using one of the many tutorials already online
2. Replace the R4.dat with YSMenu.nds (some people use YSMenu.dat instead of YSMenu.nds)

Code:
OffsetÂÂoldÂÂnew

smile.gif

hexedit? how?

kboeckx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This still is working. After a night of searching, I got ysmenu running on a r4i-sdhc 3DS card ...

any explenation what those hex editing code does (what is replaced) ... I'm just curious and want to learn what I've done to make this work

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to thank you cocomedv, this really saved my life. It's currently standard in RGF's pack but I'm guessing it came from you first. Cheers to registering only to help out a few people with this issue, if you're ever in the Netherlands let me know and I'll buy you a drink!

gamered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Ok, to explain in more detail:

You can use YSMenu as loader (firmware) on a lot of flashcarts, including the R4 SDHC and R4i SDHC from r4i-sdhc.com. That is what I also do, because I like YSMenu much more than the provided software. To use YSMenu on these cards you need to load the original firmware first and use it to start YSMenu. On many other cards you can just replace the original menu software (e.g. TTMENU.DAT) with YSMenu by just renaming and replacing the file.

On the cards from r4i-sdhc.com this is not easily possible, because the card will not load the firmware when it is not the original software provided on their website. I could reverse the protection they used to verify if the menu software is valid and patched YSMenu to conform to their format.

P.S.: I used the DSTT version of YSMenu dated 2009/03/21 17:00, will check the 2009/03/27 00:00 version later.

Thank you, you save my life.
I am looking for days how yo re-enable my flashcart.

I have a r4i 3ds gold from R4i-gold.com
This flashcart is already dead, the official site is down and its imposible to find a firmware or kernel update.

I has the expired date firm error.

Now i can use my flashcart with my o3ds rxtools.

Thank you very much

RoosterCogburno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works great with my card, thank you!

Bye bye time bomb firmware. :D

R4 SDHC Dual Core from www.r4isdhc.com

Same here!

Has anyone had (or solved) an issue when using the R4iSDHC Dual-Core and saving in Pokemon Black/White 1 and 2 when loading the game through YSMenu?

Tried on multiple formatted flash cards with UHS1 and no luck.

Last edited by RoosterCogburno,

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here!

Has anyone had (or solved) an issue when using the R4iSDHC Dual-Core and saving in Pokemon Black/White 1 and 2 when loading the game through YSMenu?

Tried on multiple formatted flash cards with UHS1 and no luck.
I don't think there is a 100% fix. It's very odd because some people seem to have this problem no matter what (like me) and some don't. You can try this posted by Retrogamefan.

And if anyone wants a prepatched DAT to avoid the hex editing in the OP look here.

edit: fixed the links

Last edited by Sleet,

RoosterCogburno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there is a 100% fix. It's very odd because some people seem to have this problem no matter what (like me) and some don't. You can try this posted by Retrogamefan.

And if anyone wants a prepatched DAT to avoid the hex editing in the OP look here.

edit: fixed the links

Tried the modified extinfo.dat and had no luck.
Thank you for the info though! Maybe it will solve another's problem...

tailslol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hey,i have some issue with this card ,ysmenu works in all games but pokemon b/w 1/2 without memory file is slow in the professor intro then stop at name entry.
and if the game has a save file it get stuck at saving.
and soft reset is unstable .
everything works in original menu but the card has a 2020 timebomb.

thx!
11_4_2.jpg

edit:extinfo fix does not work.

Last edited by tailslol,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ummmm, to my understanding, YSMenu doesnt work on SDHC so like.... yeah....
Ill be keen to find out if someone tests this and it works
It does work on SDHC R4 flashcarts. I have it on the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS that I bought this year. You guys need to do better research, it isn't complicated lol. To be honest this kernel just needs tweaked more to work better, that's all it needs. (Maybe a better look as well.) I even provided an alternative kernel to work on to be used as an alternative to YSmenu: http://gbatemp.net/threads/potential-r4-kernal-alternative-like-ysmenu.487986/ I doubt anyone is willing to work on it though. ("flashcarts are obsolete blah blah blah" < bad EXCUSE I mean reason to not work on it lol.)

All the YSmenu kernels for quite a few flashcarts:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I solved it like this:

Code:
OffsetÂÂoldÂÂnew

smile.gif

This isn't necessary at all :P Use the link I provided above, YSmenu kernel exists for SDHC R4 flashcarts already :lol:. Unless of course you were meaning something else.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

lorecast162

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
also, when i load up my R4i SDHC it gives me a fatInitDefault error and cannot progress, then after a reset it doesnt work anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water