Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ys.jpg

Can we get more weab games onto our online services? Ys we can!

If you're looking for jRPG charm with action-RPG gameplay Ys I & II Chronicles+, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origin are here to please, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 25% launch discount will last for one week, until Thursday, February 26th, at 10:59 AM GMT.
:arrow:GoG.com

Lately, more and more Japanese titles have been making their way to online platforms, from Konami pushing the PC versions of its upcoming MGS titles to the success of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam, so this looks like another step in that direction. Now weabs and dweebs of all stripes can share their superior cultivated sensibilities!

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, all three of these were already available on Steam, so this isn't some amazing first for PC gaming, but still neat that people have the DRM free option to take if they want it.

Reactions: Gahars

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know wanderer from Ys had been "reimagined" in 3D. I'm too fond and nostalgic of the old 2D side view, I wouldn't like to see it any other way.
But just for curiosity, I'll give it a try.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know wanderer from Ys had been "reimagined" in 3D. I'm too fond and nostalgic of the old 2D side view, I wouldn't like to see it any other way.
But just for curiosity, I'll give it a try.

The remake is still pretty platform-y though when traversing the dungeons, so not all of its charms are gone.

Reactions: Cyan

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, all three of these were already available on Steam, so this isn't some amazing first for PC gaming, but still neat that people have the DRM free option to take if they want it.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but for me in Linux under Wine Ys Origin was a crashy mess (would crash every 30 minutes or so) under Steam. I had to use Large Address Aware on a DRM Free version and after that it played fine. Obviously, this is not per se a Steam bug, but Steam's DRM doesn't like you modifying the program and so it wouldn't work if I applied Large Address Aware on the Steam version. Obviously, YMMV, but for people on Linux with Wine who didn't grab Ys Origin as part of the Humble Bundle some time ago, this is pretty good news.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
what does it mean for pc gaming in general actually? that piracy is no longer a threat for pc gaming?
To be fair, piracy has never been a major threat for PC gaming, at least no since Steam made it so convenient to purchase so many games on the cheap via a convenient system. If anything, Steam has proven that readily available games with a decent sales system can produce great sales results. And in the end, whether you release a DRM free version or not, if people want to pirate the game, they'll find a way to disable DRM off of the Steam copy or similar. In that respect, whether you release DRM free games or not, it should have no significant impact on piracy.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about anyone else, but for me in Linux under Wine Ys Origin was a crashy mess (would crash every 30 minutes or so) under Steam. I had to use Large Address Aware on a DRM Free version and after that it played fine. Obviously, this is not per se a Steam bug, but Steam's DRM doesn't like you modifying the program and so it wouldn't work if I applied Large Address Aware on the Steam version. Obviously, YMMV, but for people on Linux with Wine who didn't grab Ys Origin as part of the Humble Bundle some time ago, this is pretty good news.

It certainly is good news for all 4 people still using Linux intending to play videogames.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just has never had good game support. Dual boot is much more effective.

Oh yeah I was there for the 4000 variations on wine wrapper days, it was more that gaming is actually starting to get somewhere on Linux and kind of being taken a bit more seriously by many.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm