Youtube's New Gaming Website Launching Tomorrow, AUG 26TH

YTG-Family-664x308.png

Tomorrow, Youtube is launching its brand new competitor to the streaming titan that is Twitch.tv.

According to YouTube’s blog post, the site will host over 25,000 pages, each dedicated to their own video game. On top of that, the service will also offer familiar features, such as channels that users can subscribe to.

“Keeping up with these games and channels is now super easy, too. Add a game to your collection for quick access whenever you want to check up on the latest videos. Subscribe to a channel, and you’ll get a notification as soon as they start a live stream. Uncover new favorites with recommendations based on the games and channels you love. And when you want something specific, you can search with confidence, knowing that typing “call” will show you ‘Call of Duty’ and not ‘Call Me Maybe.’ "

You can reach this site, by going to:
:arrow: https://gaming.youtube.com/
or by downloading the IOS/Android app that will be launching tomorrow alongide the new website.

As someone who's entertainment content is derived from livestreams and let's plays, this new development could once again change the way we view gaming entertainment on a regular basis.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
That would be retarded, but it seems you haven't got a clue what this actually is.
Yeah I have no idea other than it seems to me like a twitch alternative.
I just really dislike 'Let's plays' because they pop up on lots of my searches :|

I do not think that was a literal request as much as a "kill all the stupid people" type of nice idea but is not going to happen in practice sort of thing.
It was :gun:

German people probably not going to be able to see livestreams just like regular youtube livestreams so yay.
Your country is lucky. You've been spared the retardation of livestream letsplayers.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like let's play videos because they let me experience a game I normally wouldn't want to actually play. Games like I Have No Mouth and Must Scream, with a really good story, but with lackluster gameplay elements. As long as the person playing isn't some annoying retard trying too hard to be funny or edgy, it's like watching your friend play a game and making comments on it.

I also like channels like retsupurae where they make fun of the terrible lets play videos, or lately make their own videos where they play terrible flash games, or other point and click disasters.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Youtube gaming completely crashes my web browser. And who would've guessed people in germany can't watch livestreams
How is this supposed to be a better twitch alternative than hitbox?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
At first, the name made me think that Youtube would be splitting up into 2 parts, and this website would be just about Gaming, therefore on the old YouTube you wouldn't find any Gaming-related videos.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like this actually... i have 1.1k subs on my current gaming YouTube channel, which I livestream on, too. If I use this new shit, then I have to re earn all my shit and reupload?

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I don't like this actually... i have 1.1k subs on my current gaming YouTube channel, which I livestream on, too. If I use this new shit, then I have to re earn all my shit and reupload?
Compare your subs with actual views. If the subs were bots/people who stopped using the accounts its not worth caring about. - Do the stats match? I think YouTube includes statistic tools now, but I haven't been logged in for a while.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compare your subs with actual views. If the subs were bots/people who stopped using the accounts its not worth caring about. - Do the stats match? I think YouTube includes statistic tools now, but I haven't been logged in for a while.
Obviously they were real people... Plus, that's not the point. People with 5 subs and 20 video views might want to transfer over their channel

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too much of a fan of LPs. I only watch AVGN/James and Mike Mondays and Tobuscus with some random RT/AH thrown in. I might watch more if they weren't so focused on COD and other FPS titles.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Is this intended for kids/etc to watch Let's Plays? There's already YouTube and Twitch so this is kinda redundant.

I'd rather play the games myself than see someone playing.

Reactions: RustInPeace

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's honestly interesting to see the rather mixed skew here from people.

As I stated in the OP, I think the entirety of my entertainment content and watching habits comes from Lets plays, Speedruns, casual streams, and more.

Every day when I come home I catch up on my Game Grumps, Achievement Hunter, markiplier, etc. then I'll pop twitch open and watch one of my favorite streamers like Calebhart or Brownman while I play a game.

The millions of people that pay money, subscribe, donate, and tune in for this content is fascinating and a trend I'm sure Google was desperate to capitalize on.

Keep in mind that Google was on board to buy Twitch until Amazon sniped it from them, so the idea for YouTube to be the Hub for gaming content has been around for awhile. I think the audience for twitch is large enough that not too many people will make the jump, but I think when people begin to realize how easy it is to view the content they want to see, we'll start to see some drastic viewership and revenue changes on both companies sides.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's honestly interesting to see the rather mixed skew here from people.

As I stated in the OP, I think the entirety of my entertainment content and watching habits comes from Lets plays, Speedruns, casual streams, and more.

I would watch stuff like https://www.youtube.com/user/Campster if he was a bit more cynical or https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting if it was for games all day long, longplays are useful tools for picking up games, the fact that someone would go to this level kind of scares me but stuff like this is not without merit and http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/pop-fiction is quite amusing. The first few "seasons" of https://www.youtube.com/show/allyourhistory were great, this and also this would provide no small amount of content for me if such things were more numerous (you kind of do have https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack?feature=hovercard but it is not quite at the same level). I can not claim it is a large percentage of the time (engineering, hacking and science videos also have to fit in there and they regularly have hour long videos released every week x about the 30 different channels out there doing it consistently + randoms doing good stuff more infrequently) but it is no small component either, though some do the longer form lecture type stuff seen in those areas mentioned.
Speedruns, tool assisted or more conventional, are not my thing as far as video goes (I will discuss the hacking required for it though) but I can at least see the fun in them for others, let's plays (achievements are an awful concept as far as I am concerned and would happily seem them vanish tomorrow, even ahead of pay to win free to play so such things are immediately discounted from where I sit) and much of streaming culture just seem like shit tier reality TV -- the put a bunch of cunts in a house and watch either boredom or your psychologist/editing induced drama happen type. It is not that it could not work but the signal to noise ratio just makes it not worth the aggro*, it does not even need to be massively well edited/thought through or even all that educational-- https://www.youtube.com/user/BitHead1000 is endlessly amusing to me as well. As ever if it is not hurting people (and though I am not sure it warrants being added to fair use I was happy enough to see it be a kind of unwritten/don't take the piss and we will not either type arrangement) then do what you feel like, if you are going to try to sell me on the merits of it then bring ammo.

*I have previously said shovelware does not bother me as the good will still rise up, I am comfortable continuing to hold this line of logic and the one above as the SNR is just that bad.[/url]

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's crazy how "let's play" videos are so popular. Last year when the South Park season finale episodes came, I first learned at how ridiculously over these kind of videos are. How a guy like PewDiePie is a celebrity, that has an income (no matter how much it really is) just for sounding like an annoying tool trying to be funny and play video games. I only watch the ones from Cinemassacre, obviously keeping up with whatever the Angry Video Game Nerd does, as a fan dating back to 2007. Overall though, I'm not interested in other videos of that ilk. But good news for those that benefit.
Well let's plays have been around forever, before Youtube even, when they were text based and on Something Awful. Now webcam stupid expression scream into the mic annoying as shit lets plays on the other hand...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The tagline of YouTube Gaming is something like "Made for Gamers", what in the hell, YouTube? Actual gamers would rather play than watch someone else. Even more so when they're being stupid jackasses screaming at the camera thinking they're funny.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Now with real time content id!
Yeah, can't see many youtubers switching, a lot are longing to leave youtube as soon as something else comes along.

As for content, watch Quill18/Mathas/Northelion/Arumba play some multiplayer EU4 and tell me it ain't enjoyable. Or that a Let's Play isn't very helpful for learning Paradox's games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended