Gaming Your Zelda BotW Disappointments?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i'll have to agree with the whole water bit. but other than that, i guess i could use an actual dungeon that was a little bigger than the shrines, something that may have housed a unnecessary bonus item or something. so i'd feel rewarded for going out of my way to explore the dungeon.
You'd like the Champion's Ballad DLC then, but I do kind of agree that there probably should have been something like that in the base game

Reactions: wangtang32000

Rudy69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I never finished a single 3D Zelda game so my opinion might not matter too much (I did 3 guardians or whatever they were called)

- Weapons breaking (I'd rather have weapons you find in chests that don't break and maybe a few unique ones you get when you kill monsters that do break?)
- No real dungeons, I liked the concept of smaller shrines but it got old really quick (I think I did 60ish)
- Feels very grindy (getting armor upgrades, hearts, stamina, the stupid seeds etc)
- Combat is hard to master (I much prefer the combat from the 2D titles)
- Too many odd button combos, I feel like that could have been improved a bit

But so far it's the first 3D Zelda I've put this much time into. But I've completed all the 2D ones

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna start by saying this game was phenomenal and I loved every minute of it. And when all is said and done I believe it may go down as my favorite game of all time that I've played so far anyway. Having said that, no game is free of criticism, and I can think of a few things that would make this brilliant game even more amazing.

I have a top 10 for a youtube video I'm putting together. I'm leaving out the lack of proper dungeons because the things I list are ultimately small and could easily be added in with a simple patch, but I know that they wont; whereas proper dungeons would be a massive undertaking and not something I could see simply added in, but rather something that we'll likely see in the next Zelda title hopefully on the Switch. So here's my list of what I wish was in BOTW not in a finalized order.

10. (Dual) Hookshots - these fall at the bottom of my list because these would be a fundamental change to the game, something that I think also will be held off for the next game when they mess around more with it. My idea would be to give the hookshots a separate tension meter like your stamina meter that as long as they hold you winds down, and when it hits zero, the hookshot's hold breaks and you fall. This would allow for their inclusion to not be abused to get all over like spiderman (as cool as that would be)
9. Iron Boots/Underwater swimming - this is also a fundamental change, but swimming and exploring underwater has been an aspect to so many Zelda games before, and it can often be fun. I mean shit like the Water Temple isn't great, but adding underwater could add a whole new aspect to the title.
8. Tornados/Blizzards/other extreme weather - we saw a little bit of stuff like this with the sandstorms, but I'd love if shit could get intense, if you're in a bad storm and suddenly a tornado comes by and recklessly throws you across the map. With you're glider, you can survive, but you may find yourself way off course.
7. Fishing Pole and Slingshot - These are two completely unnecessary but all the more immersive items the game could use. We can get fish, so why not give us a chance to properly fish for them, and a slingshot could just be operated similarly to a bow and arrow, but using all the little rocks you pick up along the way. I saw a mod on gamebannana that replaces one of the bows with a slingshot and it seems really great. Unnecessary, but neat all the same.
6. The Windwaker - I'd like if the Toon Link Amiibo could be used exclusively to have brought in this special weapon, it has a 1 hit attack, but that's because you don't use it to attack. You instead hold r and the wind constantly blows from the windwaker in the direction that you blow. This would suddenly make getting around on those rafts WAY more fun.
5. Rune to play that 2D BOTW proof of concept as a fully realized short Zelda top down game - yeah this is ridiculous. But I love this idea, the Sheikah Slate is essentially a smart phone, why not have a game on it that Link can sit down and play. And how great would it be if they made that 2 BOTW proof of concept in the style of the original Zelda into a short 3 or 4 dungeon Zelda adventure complete with save files and everything. I really love this silly idea.
4. Extra page for gear inventory - so this is my first real practical addition here. There are like 4 or 5 too many pieces of gear for the amount of pages they limit our gear to. They really need to just give us one more page.
3. Usage of the One-Hit Obliterator after you complete all of the DLC 2 - let us go back to the shrine of awakening and grab this weapon for the same trade off we made before - one hit kills us, but we get 2 one hit kills and then it needs to charge before giving us 2 more again. I so wanted to go back and hunt down some Lynel with this thing, and was really bummed out to see that we couldn't.
2. Cookbook - everytime we cook a new dish, an entry should be added to a cookbook that we have, so that we can then enter the cookbook, find any recipe we've made before, hit A on it if we have the inventory for it, and your hands will instantly be filled with all those ingredients so that you can throw them in to be cooked.
1. Multiplayer Wolf-play with 2 Switches - If you have a second Switch, you should be able to download like a free BOTW multiplayer client app, that can only connect to a Switch playing a copy of BOTW (similar to the Namco Museum Pac Man Vs. multiplayer app), or if that doesn't work, another Switch with another copy of BOTW. Have both Switch's connect, and one of you play as your Link, and the other gets to play as Wolf Link which they could make a little more robust, adding more control and attacks for a second player to have with Wolf Link.

You put all of that in, and I think that'd be about as close to a perfect of a game as this could possibly get.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Were I a funnier man I might consider looking back on the comments for the various reviews that deigned to give it a rather above average 7/10 score and seeing how many have changed their tune.

Anyway this is not the first time I saw the shift of popular consensus from mostest emazong gaem evar to actually while somewhat playable it has some considerable flaws. Ocarina was that, with the 3ds revisits being icing on the cake, and Skyward Sword was probably the most interesting case for me.

I suppose the question for me is like most open world games the bones of something are there, however I don't know if I reckon an edit is in order to bring it closer in line with how I might have done it. Real dungeons, or at least chained shrines, and a revamp of the weapon damage system (some were of the opinion such things are not really needed at all, I am not and something can come from them but BOTW's was so very far from good or even acceptable) are the two obvious points to start on.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
They had this in the game when it was planned as a Wii-U exclusive. Then they removed because they didn't want the Switch version to be inferior.
But the Switch anso has a touch screen, so that argument is invalidated.

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The dungeons.

I like the Shrines and all, but I miss REAL dungeons, action-packed places literally forcing you to battle your way through. If they implemented some dungeons scattered around the world (like the ones in FFXV, easily the best thing of the entire game), ranging from puzzle focused to action focused ones, it would be awesome.

And a little change in the Durability System. I have nothing against the weapon breaking with use, but it would be nice if you had a way of preventing it.

Actually, one of my biggest grievances with this game is the moment when you get the first Shiekah-slate ability in the shrine. It's just like "Here you go, get the most OP ability in the game". I feel like the general audience's and critics' requests for "freedom" is taken too literally sometimes, and I don't understand how having a game where you can almost literally do everything you want from the start, aka no progression...

Actually there IS progression, you still have to achieve a few things to be able to go everywhere. Be it enough stamina, heart containers and/or equipment, there are places and situations that are simply impossible to surpass without a certain level of "progression". "Progress" don't have to be linear to be present.

But I get what you're saying, and do agree a bit with you.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a good point that I didn't consider. I don't generally like caves in games because they tend to be dark and cramped and are often mazes, but they could have donU
Were I a funnier man I might consider looking back on the comments for the various reviews that deigned to give it a rather above average 7/10 score and seeing how many have changed their tune.

Anyway this is not the first time I saw the shift of popular consensus from mostest emazong gaem evar to actually while somewhat playable it has some considerable flaws. Ocarina was that, with the 3ds revisits being icing on the cake, and Skyward Sword was probably the most interesting case for me.

I suppose the question for me is like most open world games the bones of something are there, however I don't know if I reckon an edit is in order to bring it closer in line with how I might have done it. Real dungeons, or at least chained shrines, and a revamp of the weapon damage system (some were of the opinion such things are not really needed at all, I am not and something can come from them but BOTW's was so very far from good or even acceptable) are the two obvious points to start on.

Are you saying its good or bad?
Me personally this game is easily a 10. No game series can't be improved upon (unless its made by ea or squaresoft) and I just wanted to see what people wanted to make it potentially better or what the expected. Before the demo was unveiled I thought they were gonna make it an improved version of its suckiest game Skyward Sword. That game was bad, and it had a full story too, albeit a story retold to tedious degree. Ss motion controls didn't work for skyward sword too, forward thrust had to be precise, in botw switch the motion aiming is incredible.

Has anyone tried to go back to open world after Zelda? Or revisited previous games prior to Zelda? Its hard to not compare

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm primarily disappointed with the lack of a timeline placement. It's hard to fully enjoy a game like this if I don't know how it relates to the other ones I like, if any.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm primarily disappointed with the lack of a timeline placement. It's hard to fully enjoy a game like this if I don't know how it relates to the other ones I like, if any.

LOL for real?

The dungeons.

I like the Shrines and all, but I miss REAL dungeons, action-packed places literally forcing you to battle your way through. If they implemented some dungeons scattered around the world (like the ones in FFXV, easily the best thing of the entire game), ranging from puzzle focused to action focused ones, it would be awesome.

And a little change in the Durability System. I have nothing against the weapon breaking with use, but it would be nice if you had a way of preventing it.

Actually there IS progression, you still have to achieve a few things to be able to go everywhere. Be it enough stamina, heart containers and/or equipment, there are places and situations that are simply impossible to surpass without a certain level of "progression". "Progress" don't have to be linear to be present.

But I get what you're saying, and do agree a bit with you.

I'm currently on ff15 right now and its not very good, its a ps3 game made sexy for the ps4. IMO the caves are the worse and offer nothing but worthless unneccassiry grinding because the system is broken, and the story is nonexistent, currently on chapter8 and the story is trash, each chapter is literally just one step.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring that I am of the opinion that if scores are to be used then a 10 is a perfect score which can not be done (unless we are all playing the game right now and this is the matrix). For the sake of the thread though I will read it as high 9s.

When I first saw the early trailers it had all the hallmarks of new dev tries to jump in with the big boys and is going to fail rather hard. Not actually in skyward sword 2.0 (think Majora's to Ocarina but on a base of suck) but dev tries from the ground up and fails. We normally see it with people taking on world of warcraft, people taking on COD and Battlefield, people taking on the sims and I am sure you could add a few more "is popular, other game devs tries to clone despite not understanding it" things as we have seen it time and time again as far back as text adventures.

The end result was better than that but rising no higher than some of the offerings on the 360 for me, and many of those I find more compelling. Know what you are looking for and you can still see those inexperienced fumblings and would not be surprised at all to find out that it was largely due to a lot of money being brought to bear on the matter.
If pokemon is my first RPG then BOTW functioned much the same for the missed Skyrim set. Some wondered if people had sat in the Nintendo bubble for too long that this was their first real experience of it since the earlier fumblings in the PS2 era (worse still if you were on a gamecube then you had... true crime streets of LA, and if you were on a Wii U then basically nobody got Watch Dogs so there is that). Were it that then yeah I can see it being an awe inducing affair. In open world games a common criticism is the master of none (for example play GTA 3 and then one of its contemporary third person shooters, even one from a smaller dev), Zelda dodged this but only in the sense that all such games now are blandly competent in movement and such. The only thing I could really think to add would be climbing is better than most (Dragon's Dogma is the better choice for something also in the open world/sandbox sphere that played off it well) but it is no Assassin's Creed, never mind something like the climbing in I Am Alive (though mechanically/thematically it has a rather different intent). If I am off pondering things then for fun in getting around the world vertically it has to be Just Cause 2 or 3.

I played it first at the switch press demo but that was only a few minutes and I was doing speed tests during it. Failed to enthuse much there.
Final release happened. The 7/10 stuff is about right and the rest of this thread mirrors most of my thoughts here.

A thought exercise I have run in the past is to generate a list of games one reasonably has to have played to "be a gamer" similar to the films every film buff should have seen, books one should have read, songs/albums one should have heard... and related to that is ones you would use to showcase a concept, or as a learning exercise for would be devs. BOTW fits into neither of those from where I sit and might not even be the best example to use within that. Someone comes up to me and says they never did BOTW and they might as well have told me they never played some tie in shovelware title for all the relevance I will assign it. Replace that with GTA SA or newer, Oblivion/Skyrim (just need one of them, might take Morrowind in a pinch) and a long list of other games and we probably get to correct that.

In the Switch threads I was pondering whether if the rest of the industry was not borderline comatose at this point if it would have done so well. Given I struggle to count Skyrim's latest remaster for much then we are looking at 2015's Witcher 3 for the last similar effort (really should see what Horizon, Zero Dawn is about one of these days), and BOTW is no way better than Witcher 3.

A while back we had a portal discussion on Super Mario 64. My opinion of that game is it is a Mario themed tech demo with a fair bit of charm, almost completely stomped by Rare's later efforts on the system. BOTW might be a nice Zelda tech demo but lacking even as much charm.

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm currently on ff15 right now and its not very good, its a ps3 game made sexy for the ps4. IMO the caves are the worse and offer nothing but worthless unneccassiry grinding because the system is broken, and the story is nonexistent, currently on chapter8 and the story is trash, each chapter is literally just one step.

Well, you're taking the game's system into account on this. I'm not talking about FFXV's system, just the dungeons themselves.

I'd really like to see something like that in BotW. Besides this, yes, I completely agree with all FFXV's grinding, broken system and trash story. Really.

Last edited by thewarhammer,
D

Deleted User

how could he say lack of water a raft and a giant leaf were the most fun i have had in years!

biggest disappointment?

diamonds...

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't believe they didn't allow us to control the menu on the Wii U gamepad. I can only think of development hell or a rushed release. I mean COME ON.
They had this in the game when it was planned as a Wii-U exclusive. Then they removed because they didn't want the Switch version to be inferior.
But the Switch anso has a touch screen, so that argument is invalidated.
The Wii-U tablet features I was speaking of would have been a companion to the display on your TV. The Wii-u can have dual display features, the Switch cannot, it has nothing to do with Touch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: