Gaming Your prediction for Pokemon 8th Gen

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have many thoughts on how this next game could come out, especially as they recently made the claim that this next entry will be "disruptive" to the gameplay style we've known for all these years, in the same vein that BOTW was disruptive to the gameplay style we had grown accustomed to with the Zelda titles. This can mean a lot of things for the series, so here are a few ideas:

-First, we know its coming to the Switch, i mean its not guaranteed yet to be gen 8, but I think its a safe bet that it will be gen 8.

-I could see it being as free roaming and open world as Breath of the Wild. Certain things like climbing walls might require you to obtain companion pokemon like in the Sun/Moon series though, so you wont be as capable of getting around from the get-go as Link was, but you will be able to get to that point (and then some) as you progress.

-I think all wild Pokemon will be on the overworld, you wont randomly go into a battle as you wander tall grass, you'll find the Pokemon out in the wild, and they'll either engage with you or you could engage with them.

-They could make it a real time battle RPG in the same vein as Xenoblade Chronicles where you have full control of each Pokemon you throw out, running, dodging, attacking, etc. etc. all in real time. I am highly doubtful this shift will happen, they'd have to make over 800 different playable characters, which may not be entirely difficult since they have all the models made, but I'd have to imagine this would be a lot of extra work. And it would be a lot of extra work for something that could be incredibly polarizing. I wouldn't mind seeing Pokemon attempt this kind of fighting style with one of their core games, but I can see how it would just upset a lot of Pokemon fans, and I kind of think that's something they want to avoid. But all the same, I think there is a sliver of a chance that they've at least considered this.

-All 8 regions. This would make the game huge, I know. Maybe it only starts as one or two regions, and then they add previous regions in through updates/DLC. But I like this idea I had: an ultimate Pokemon League. Only accessible to trainers that have beaten the Elite 4 and champion of all 8 regions. Essentially giving you 8 elite badges to obtain. I'm pretty doubtful about all of this one, but it sure would be great.

-Finally MMO. I'm also pretty doubtful about this one, but they could do a lot if they made this series an MMO, something that Nintendo has never really had one of for themselves, and Pokemon really is the best series they should consider if they ever did want their own MMO.

Last edited by duffmmann,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have many thoughts on how this next game could come out, especially as they recently made the claim that this next entry will be "disruptive" to the gameplay style we've known for all these years, in the same vein that BOTW was disruptive to the gameplay style we had grown accustomed to with the Zelda titles. This can mean a lot of things for the series, so here are a few ideas:

-First, we know its coming to the Switch, i mean its not guaranteed yet to be gen 8, but I think its a safe bet that it will be gen 8.

-I could see it being as free roaming and open world as Breath of the Wild. Certain things like climbing walls might require you to obtain companion pokemon like in the Sun/Moon series though, so you wont be as capable of getting around from the get-go as Link was, but you will be able to get to that point (and then some) as you progress.

-I think all wild Pokemon will be on the overworld, you wont randomly go into a battle as you wander tall grass, you'll find the Pokemon out in the wild, and they'll either engage with you or you could engage with them.

-They could make it a real time battle RPG in the same vein as Xenoblade Chronicles where you have full control of each Pokemon you throw out, running, dodging, attacking, etc. etc. all in real time. I am highly doubtful this shift will happen, they'd have to make over 800 different playable characters, which may not be entirely difficult since they have all the models made, but I'd have to imagine this would be a lot of extra work. And it would be a lot of extra work for something that could be incredibly polarizing. I wouldn't mind seeing Pokemon attempt this kind of fighting style with one of their core games, but I can see how it would just upset a lot of Pokemon fans, and I kind of think that's something they want to avoid. But all the same, I think there is a sliver of a chance that they've at least considered this.

-All 8 regions. This would make the game huge, I know. Maybe it only starts as one or two regions, and then they add previous regions in through updates/DLC. But I like this idea I had: an ultimate Pokemon League. Only accessible to trainers that have beaten the Elite 4 and champion of all 8 regions. Essentially giving you 8 elite badges to obtain. I'm pretty doubtful about all of this one, but it sure would be great.

-Finally MMO. I'm also pretty doubtful about this one, but they could do a lot if they made this series an MMO, something that Nintendo has never really had one of for themselves, and Pokemon really is the best series they should consider if they ever did want their own MMO.
I didnt read all yet, but so far, i like what im reading
Also, the big problem with this game is that we have no early preview/trailer as with botw... so we cant really be hyped.as much as botw

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Game will be released in 2019. I don't believe that Gamefreak will make the next game in less than year, not if people want it to be good. They have not only new ideas, plot and mechanics to design, but also rewrite probably like 95% of the engine, considering that it's new console completely different from its predecessor. There's just too much to do for 2018 release.

- If they realy will try to release it in 2018, the game will end probably short, linear and half-baked... like XY. I mean, i love gen VI and i enjoyed it personaly more than VII, but i must agree that there was a lot of problems in it, and gen VIII will be similiar if they will rush it.

- Region will be probably based on China. In 2015 China lifted the ban on gaming consoles and we seen Gamefreak's response for it already in SM in language options. China is pretty huge market and doing a "fanservice" like that for them seems quite natural now. Tho Australia would be waaaay more interesting.

- We will get either new Gym replacements or return of leaders. Totem fights works in-theme with Alola, but would totaly not work with less tropical regions.

- For the same reason Z-Crystals, a gimmick directly bounded with Tapus, will be available either in post game or forgotten at all. There's bigger chance for return of Mega Evolution (but more balanced) than Z-Moves.

- Regional variants, but this time not limited to Kantomons.

- ...Personaly i like the smaller number of new Pokemon, so again we will get something like 70-80 new mons + some regional variants + new megas and alternate forms.

Overall i'm not too overhyped. The announcement overall for me feels kinda forced by fans' backlash after the reveal of USUM than something planned.

Oh, also - If Pokemon Switch1/Switch2 will be released in 2019, we will get Diamond/Pearl remakes in 2020.
These games have probably been in development for a long time now. They were working on the core 3DS games at the same time Black and White was being worked on and they had Sun Moon references in XY. There's a good chance that the next games were being worked on well before we ever herd of the "Nintendo NX".

My prediction? Well how about better cries for the first 251 Pokemon, in the style of the N64 cries?
They had updated all of the Pokémon cries in gen 6 so I'm afraid that they won't. If they do, I'm sure it will just be "better versions" of what we have now.

@Edgy_Edge @Kigiru I doubt that a gen 4 remake is going to be the next game, a brand new game for a new console makes more sense, and the very little that we have herd about it makes me believe that it will be a entirely new game. Now that does not mean 0% chance though, as people has been saying "never going to happen" or something similar for years now:
They said that about not being able to connect the gen 2 and gen 3 games together. They said that about them not letting you visit Kanto and Johto in gen 3. They said that about Black/White and Black2/White2 coming to the Nintendo DS when the 3DS was right around the corner. They said that about Pokémon Grey and Pokémon Z/X2Y2 not ever coming. They said that about them abandoning the focus of Mega Evolution in gen 7. They have said that about a lot of features or releases or something that made no sense that then did/didn't come to be, so it is possible that it could happen. The chances of it happening is still close to 0 though.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch use HDMI 1.4 over USB C, so we need a NEW SWITCH...
or... just a new dock that increases switch power when docked, then it could be compatible with hdmi 2.0 without the need to buy the whole console again

Reactions: Quantumcat

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to play as a villain and have options on what to do with the Pokemon world when I finally take it over.

Edit: forgot the point of the post.
I predict the obvious badge hoarding and elite four challenge.

Last edited by Navonod,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I want to play as a villain and have options on what to do with the Pokemon world when I finally take it over.
Now that'd be excellent. Have a morality slider with 6-8 different endings depending on choices made throughout the game. Battle your way to the top of the Pokemon League OR the top of Team Rocket/Team Whatever. Then have an end game where you not only build teams of Pokemon, but also teams of trainers to fight for your cause.

Last edited by Xzi,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now that'd be excellent. Have a morality slider with 6-8 different endings depending on choices throughout the game.
I agree, it would be awesome
like instead of playing to get 8 badges, you have missions (a bit like MD) and recruit other trainer along the game.
in short, you create your team whatever and decide what you want it to do, you can rivalise another team in another region, you can spread the evilness, steal trainers pokemon, or just help trainer who needs help

yea would be awesome

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that'd be excellent. Have a morality slider with 6-8 different endings depending on choices made throughout the game. Battle your way to the top of the Pokemon League OR the top of Team Rocket/Team Whatever.
A time machine would be awesome in case you don't like the outcome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16