Hardware Your longest lived USB flash drive.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a usb drive die on me (and I think only one SD card). Anyway, I have an 8 gig one from HP I've used for at least four years now. For a long time, I used it to transfer video files to my dvd player (until I got a blu ray that could stream over the wi-fi). It's still my go-to usb drive when I need to move files or whatever.

ac3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dane elec 8gb flashdrive from 2011 works perfectly still it has evrn been in a washing and drying machine once.
6142001_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=60;canvasWidth=150

loco365

Trophies
XP
All the USB drives that I've owned still work, including the 8GB drive that I got in grade 7 for $40 when flash memory was still absurdly expensive. It was a Kingston DataTraveler iirc.

D

Deleted-236924

I have a fairly old one I got a long time ago. I don't even remember exactly when I got it, to be honest. I think somewhere around 2008 if not earlier.
It's a 2GB drive and for some reason, files on it began to get corrupted randomly while it wasn't being used and kinda just being there. I copied everything off of it and removed what was corrupted, but the drive itself seems to be working fine regardless. I re-used it to make a linux live usb a while ago and everything's still intact on it so I'm not sure what the deal was.

I have another 2GB one, a Kingston one, it's green and white. That one is really shitty. Absurdly low read/write speeds and I don't even know why. It wasn't like this originally.

Got a 16GB one now that I don't really use anymore because I just keep everything on my computer itself now, given I have my own. It's some kind of Duracell one, I'm not sure where I put it,

The first one got really dirty because I left it somewhere for a long time and it became really disgusting... Like lots of dust and crap got stuck on it and it feels sticky, yuck

Last edited by ,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I still have a 64MB SD card that came with an MP3 album on it by Jojo. Even has the artist's CD cover as it's label. (R&B artist of the mid-2000's)

Last edited by Jayro,

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I have an old 2GB Kingston Drive from something like 2007 that still works perfectly, and a 64MB Micro SD card that is blocked on Read Only mode for some reason, but the files are still here and readable :P
1448528561-img-0010.jpg

I also have some really old Memory Sticks, but since it's not used anymore, I don't know if it counts :P

ItsYogSothoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I still got my 4GB Adata, that I bought like 6 years ago (I don't remeber when I bought it, it was long time ago). Mine first USB Flash drive :D

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
My dolphin 8gb went thru the washing machine and dryer. Still going strong for a couple of years now. I never rely on it so i don't mind if it fails on me later on due to water damager

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes, smaller usb drives are less prone to error. brand usb drives are also less prone to breaking than non brand or discounter drives.
and the more you use them the faster they die.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have a 128MB one floating around here somewhere. I believe I got that in 2002
Never had one die on me... did have a 4GB one flake on me sometimes but a format fixed it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
They never survive. I got a USB a month ago, it's a wristband that's secretly a USB; and thankfully it's still alive! :P
I have one too. It's black, rubber, and 512MB. More than enough space for my medical records and resume.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free