Your choices of food when on a ultra tight budget

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jt_1258, Dec 5, 2017.

1. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    they bleach the eggs to make them all look the same but it removes the natural barrier

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three female furries
    eggs with omega 3 cost like 6-7$ for 12

3. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I just make a huge pot of Spanish rice. It's so cheap to make Spanish rice it's crazy, and it can last a very long time. lol

VinsCool likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Ramen ? :)

Noctosphere likes this.
  5. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    well... yes... sure why not...

azoreseuropa likes this.
  6. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    I love it and hate it at the same time. Strange, isn't it ? LOL!

7. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    you hate some flavor and love some flavor? maybe...?

8. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    No, when I am in mood for the ramen.. I ate it all. After days later, I dont want to eat it. However, few days later again.. I want to eat it. That's why I love ramen and hate ramen later then love ramen again. Heh. :creep::grog:

9. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I hate normal ramen, I ate it for years.

However, if you got some leftover chicken or pork, add that to the hot bowl of ramen with a splash of soy sauce, and maybe some fresh Green Onion or/And fresh chives. Now that is ramen. lol.

It's a good way to make your ramen not taste like processed soup. lol.

And you don't even need to heat up the chicken or pork, because it's already cooked from the night before, the hot broth will heat up the meat for you by the time your ready to eat it.

Last edited by TheTechGenius, Dec 6, 2017
    azoreseuropa likes this.
  10. swabbo
    This message by swabbo has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 6, 2017, Reason: plz no, guise.
    Dec 6, 2017
  11. VinsCool
    This message by VinsCool has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 6, 2017, Reason: plz no, guise.
    Dec 6, 2017
  12. swabbo
    This message by swabbo has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 6, 2017, Reason: plz no, guise.
    Dec 6, 2017
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Frozen pizza and canned food.
    I'm also wondering this question actually, since I have a hard time finding food that's cheap, requires little to no cooking and isn't bland.

It's debatable whether packet noodles can be considered anywhere close to delicious if you don't make your own soup/sauce.
    And you'd very quickly get sick of it if you lived on nothing but ramen noodles. I tried that for about a month about 9 years ago when I was poor for a few months, nothing but ramen noodles, cheap whole chicken (cut in half) and vegetables, a few times I got so sick of it I splurged on something more expensive. I haven't eaten cheap packet noodles ever since, that's how much of a lasting impact that attempt had on me.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 6, 2017
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "food that's cheap, requires little to no cooking and isn't bland."
    I dare say this is one of those three aspects, pick two situations.

Processed stuff tends to be more expensive for the calories it provides -- you mentioned frozen pizza but try that here and you will struggle. If something is tasty then they creep prices up a tiny fraction at a time (or reduce the size of it and keep the price the same) and eventually you end up expensive while the blander stuff stays low. You can try using spices and oils on the blander things but that might take a bit of work.

Your best bet if you really don't like cooking (I recall the stir fry conversation the other month) would be buy in bulk, make a bit pot (or three), freeze it and then you only need to warm it through when you want something. Rice with bits in, tuna pasta, stews, chilli, shepherd's pie, curries, porridge is seen as something of a sweet breakfast by many but it has many uses. Get a bit more adventurous and you can try making a base that you adapt over the week -- the same meal every day for a week gets monotonous but if you have a pot of mince you can have pasta with it one day, rice another, mix in some curry sauce for another, potatoes another day, maybe some pie another, cheese sauce for another and now it is the weekend again, or spin it the other way and rather than basing something on meat base it on pasta or something and then put different things in it/with it every day.
    If you can find something you enjoy in the less desirable cuts of meat that works too -- I love lamb liver, heart and kidney, cow brain, cow tongue, rabbit and so forth, however I have had bad liver before and where I can at least chew a rubber steak this was a hold your nose and force it down job.

VinsCool likes this.
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It is true, happens all the time in Argentina, certainly the world first GMO abuser per capita. That is the reason for GMO, they make the crops resistant to glysphosat, and glysphosat is cancerogenous.
    As how well they clean the crops afterwards, and how good it is for the consumer, no idea, but you should know glysphosat was over that thing before they collected it.
    Regarding people that live near the plantation, well, they're fucked up (actually backed up by research).

16. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    HELL YEAH!

On my situation... ultra low budget means 1 kilo of tortillas.
    Then I can make Salsa Verde, and use the Frijoles from the other day, and fry the Tortillas and eat Tostadas de Frijoles con Salsa.
    Or do the same but instead of frying the whole tortilla, cut each one in smaller pieces and fry them and mix them with the Frijoles and la Salsa and you have what me and my familly call: Sopitas.

Also, sometimes we buy Masa instead of Tortillas and we make either Huaraches or Sopes.

17. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    SARDINES

18. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    That's what I am doing so far. Just noddle itself is a processed I bet. Oh well, guess what ? My mood today is to have ramen with stuff in it and low sodium soy sauce. See ? I am going to like it today then hate it again next day or so. :rofl2:

TheTechGenius likes this.
  19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Hmmm... I guess they are OK on Pizza, if you later remove them before eating the Pizza, they leave an interesting flavour in the dough, dood!
    Otherwise, not something I would enjoy too much.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  20. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    how much money do u still have?? it's hard to get a plan if we dont know how many day u need to get ur next wage

here's my healthy cheap budget meal:

-chicken chest 9.90euro/kg, get 200gr
    -a can of 200 boiled red beans 150gr. 80cent each
    -rice 200gr.

u can cook all ingredients once then split them into 4-5 meal boxes to save time, and get some some boiled broccoli/califlower which is 2-3euro/kg

Last edited by leon315, Dec 6, 2017
  21. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    dood you smart ! XD
    tis was a disgaea reference (disgaea4 particular)

as for tight on budget, i have not been there yet thankfully, but if i had to choose ,then maybe chicken breast or something , anything cheap and filling. (healthy if possible)

22. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    I'd say, if you find some food you love in sale, get as much of them as possible.
    take stock for weeks, so you wont starve, and youll love the food you bough

I for example, when I see Flamingo is in sale, i go to the groceries store and buy about 4-5 box of them, it lasts long enough

23. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    Ramen or Fried Rice