Yooka-Laylee: Release Date, New Trailer & Important Nintendo News

534634521b4ff1dad60865eff0a77421_original.png

A new trailer for Yooka-Laylee has been posted on their Kickstarter page as well as a short video showing off one of the levels, along with some important news.

The Wii U version has been scrapped due to unforeseen technical difficulties, in favor of a Nintendo Switch version of the game.
The game will launch on April 11, 2017 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, Mac and Linux.

Also, the Toybox demo previously only accessible to Kickstarter backers is now available to anyone who pre-orders the game.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's because the Wii u is dead. Jumping ship is probably the right decision, but don't sugar the pill: it's not technical, that's bullshit.
Their words, not mine. My guess is the Wii U couldn't handle the high polygon count.

Their exact words were:
The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year.

We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Lol yeah I wasn't saying it was your words, I just meant they're being "diplomatic" and bailing while they can.

@The Real Jdbye it was not directed at you mate, I have updated my original response.
Maybe, but we all know the Wii U isn't exactly a powerhouse, I can totally see it not being powerful enough to run Yooka-Laylee.
In other news, I get more hyped with each new trailer. It's exactly my kind of game. I'll probably be picking up the Switch version as well as the PC version which I already backed.

Reactions: Xzi and KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe, but we all know the Wii U isn't exactly a powerhouse, I can totally see it not being powerful enough to run Yooka-Laylee.
In other news, I get more hyped with each new trailer. It's exactly my kind of game. I'll probably be picking up the Switch version as well as the PC version which I already backed.

It looks amazing, going to a collect-a-thon just like kazooie/tooie!

I've played the crap out of the toybox already, I was looking forward to Wii u version but perhaps now I should preorder a switch or get it on Xboner/ps4.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I kind of understand that Wii U can easily have technical problems since Unity for Wii U is not very friendly, console is not powerful enough and not to say horrible tools for devs and nintendo way to be.
But of course that wasn't the only reason, Wii U is almost dead and Switch is almost there so why they would bother releasing it and be obfuscated by the new console? Not to say another completely different platform to work with considering Wii U and Switch seems like to be very different each other, it's too much for a team that is already working with all other plataforms (PS4, Xone, PC (windows, mac, linux)). It certainly hurts the people that was expecting the Wii U version but this change were for the better.
Also, i wouldn't doubt this change has strong nintendo influence on it in favor of the platform switch.

Last edited by boomario,

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
... And soon Nintendo will apologize as well and will say they'll skip the Wii U version of Zelda BOTW in favor of the Switch because of "technical difficulties".
The Wii U is dead because of Nintendo themselves. Look at the PS3: even when the console was hacked Sony continued to support it, counter attacked with a new model more secure, and more updates to patch security holes, and new exciting games to push users to update if they want to play.

Nintendo are losers, now they offer 100 $ for hackers who help them secure their consoles... Really pathetic.
They punish us, Wii U buyers, for their failure. I would never buy a Nintendo console again.

Last edited by depaul,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was the one who chose the Wii U version but now I'm trying to decide between the PC version or just waiting it out for the Switch version. I'm not sure why they chose to offer the Wii U option in the first place. That nostalgia, "hey, remember when we released stuff on Nintendo?" feeling? If they were going to try and downgrade the game, they might as well make ports for the PS3/360.

D

Deleted-379826

I would normally be angry it was cancelled for my Wii.U but I just got my PS4 which is nice! Totally looking forward to this looks awesome :P

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty wrong of the project creators to ask for money in the hopes of a console version that is now cancelled. Even after they said how majority of backers choose the Wii U version and that will be the "definitive" version.

I'm not angry at all as my platform of choice is superior in every way.

Reactions: KiiWii

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my doubts that this couldn't be make on the Wii U, at the same time, I have my doubts that they are lying. I can't really tell. Not that it matters. It not like they just packed up and left, it is still coming to Nintendo.

It no denying the Switch is coming. If everything goes well, it will soon happen to the 3ds too. You can only support the old consoles for so long, rather it be successful or not. Doesn't anyone honestly want devs to not move their games onto the new console, knowing that is where most people are going? Like even Gamefreak is ready to move away from the 3DS, already.
Even if it still came, people would complain why this coming to the Wii U, anyway.

Anyway, I might just pick this up for the Switch.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear i just saw Microsoft was the publisher for the game...hmmm each of the main 3 publishing the gane for thier respective consoles maybe?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey