Yooka-Laylee Gets Nintendo Switch Release Date

YookaSwitch.jpg

Backers rejoice! Almost seven months after other systems, Playtonic's crowd funded collect-a-thon Yooka-Laylee finally drops for Nintendo Switch on the 14th of December. It comes boasting polish and optimisation for play on the go, as well as support for playing with a single Joy-Con across each of its eight multiplayer minigames for an optimal fun to budget ratio. This release is exclusively digital, with plans for a Switch physical edition unknown at this time.

Will you be picking this up when it launches?

:arrow: Source

Update:
The price has been revealed to be £34.99 on the UK eShop, in line with the retail price on Steam.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Scarlet, , Reason: Added UK Price
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I got screwed with RiME on the Switch as the game is pretty much unplayable so if these other devs of Yooka Laylee make something similar.. they can go GFY. No wonder they don't need game testers these days.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I feel bad for Playtonic, there is no way that this does well on the Switch now. It released to middling reviews, and was delayed for its Switch release pretty badly to the point where its now coming out well over a month after Mario Odyssey for the same system. I mean I wish them luck, and hope it does do well, but should it not, I hope they don't give up on the system because they think there is no demand for their games on the system.
not only that but its digital only and parents wont offer this game to their kids onc hristmas becuase it isnt on the stores they will all pick mario odissey most likely or any other game they see on the selfs.

i mean there is no reason why they arent doing phisical, the switch has so manny indie phisical copys its to be ashamed

i mean swithc has
tiny barbarian
rime
88 heroes
farming sim
troll and I
bindisng of isaac
unbox
lumo
poi
ginger

srs the indies are the ones releasing more phisical copys on swithc rather than AAA studios and yet after 7 motnhs delay they still release digital only its a shame, it wont get my money unless i see a phisical release if they dont do it i will just buy the ps4 version eventualy.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got screwed with RiME on the Switch as the game is pretty much unplayable so if these other devs of Yooka Laylee make something similar.. they can go GFY. No wonder they don't need game testers these days.

They just did a Q&A over at Nintendo life, and claim that the Switch version is actually the best running version of the game since they took the time to optimize it specifically for that system. I mean, I'll believe it when I see it, but they're claim is that this runs better than on the other systems.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
900p 60fps? nice
Unplayable? it has some framedrops but it´s definitively not unplayable, that game runs badly/poorly regardless of the system it´s running on anyway

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
srs the indies are the ones releasing more phisical copys on swithc rather than AAA studios and yet after 7 motnhs delay they still release digital only its a shame, it wont get my money unless i see a phisical release if they dont do it i will just buy the ps4 version eventualy.
If they aren't making a physical release it means that they believe that they won't sell that many copies.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kickstarted this game and never switched to a different system so I'll be getting this automatically.
If you never switched to a different system, it should have defaulted to sending you a Steam code, you should check just to be sure.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
farming simultator

Farming Simulator is on the Switch?

I bought a digital copy of Yooka Laylee (PS4)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
900p 60fps? nice

Unplayable? it has some framedrops but it´s definitively not unplayable, that game runs badly/poorly regardless of the system it´s running on anyway
seriously nowadays people see a frame drop and call it unplayable, this generations are so spoiled it hurts, i bet noone of them could play any n64 or ps1 game on original hardware lol, srs n64 and ps1 sometimes made games into slideshows at running under 10 fps, i remenber star wars rogue squadron n64 great game but it had so mauch frame drop the last mission plays at like 9 fps on original n64 i played it recently, or turok games boss fights where the fps just goes to the shitter anytime a boss attacks, srs that were hardcore frame drops and long ones and people still loved the games and got great review, but nowadays if a game has a frame drop here and there its unplayable lol.

Last edited by pedro702,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
EA memes aside... There's no way they'd get that running respectably on the Switch without making it look awful.
Well, then its outsides would match its insides I guess. Just awful.

Edit: Whoever has the rights should actually port Battlefront 2 classic. Wouldn't require any graphics downscaling, and it's the better game for sure.

Last edited by Xzi,

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which was worse? Might No 9 or Yooka Laylee? Which had higher expectations in your mind?
Might No. 9 was way worse and, for me, it had higher expectations too. Yooka Laylee is a decent platformer with a good amount of content plagued with some dated mechanics and design elements, but Mighty No. 9 is a horrible amalgamation of the worst Megaman games bogged down with a whole truck-load of new sludge.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought the issue was they captured it too well, including all the monotonous things people tend to overlook in the name of nostalgia? I say this as somebody yet to play the game however, so it may just be hearsay.
Pretty much. They took more from what made BK/BT bad than what made it charming and too much from BT in general. Like the huge world sizes that were empty, lacking enemy variation, poor camera (at launch) and the minigames. All were huge problems in Tooie and continued to be in Yooka

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded