Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Question: Offtopic-ish

Is it true henkaku was ported to the ps4? if so what has this allowed for the ps4?

and most importantly could the same be done for the ps3? in order to advance that dead scene per se?

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2. Vita is more powerful than 3DS
3. You are drunk man.

Got to agree, I love my N3DS don't get me wrong, but analog nipple compared to proper analog stick? No comparison. And the Vita definitely has more grunt behind it if the devs take advantage (not to mention what the Vita chipset is actually capable of if we ever get to the over clocking stage.)

On another note, the offline installer is working great for me. Damn near 100% boot rate, oddly if my fingers are touching the back touch pad it will rarely boot. If I'm not touching anything it boots first time, almost every time.

Reactions: pikpol
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless, this exploit leads to PSN access, and the ability to play future games, which there are. The latter may require the ability to play backup games.

This homebrew scene will eventually die, considering how long it took for them to actually find a kernel exploit on the Vita.

Basically, emulators and homebrew games alone, will not hold people from upgrading, since both are easily accessible on Smartphones nowadays.

Last edited by Sicklyboy, , Reason: Removed reply to trashed post

jen171995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Offtopic-ish

Is it true henkaku was ported to the ps4? if so what has this allowed for the ps4?

and most importantly could the same be done for the ps3? in order to advance that dead scene per se?
I had been wondering the same for the PS3, since at least part of the exploit worked for the PS4. The PS3 is a tightly locked machine though, and it may be too outdated for this to work on it. I hope someone can look into it at least

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I had been wondering the same for the PS3, since at least part of the exploit worked for the PS4. The PS3 is a tightly locked machine though, and it may be too outdated for this to work on it. I hope someone can look into it at least

What is going on with the ps3 scene? is it dead? am i too late to the party? Or are people like Multiman still working on breaking through the impossible fw barrier

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very cool! People have asked for this à long time.

Personally, I dont care that much. Why?

1. PSViTA games are often for sale, very cheap and reasonable prices.
2. I already have the N3DSXL fully hacked. The PSViTA Will not offer much more. Perhaps the PSViTA could do crappy N64 emulation, at best.
3. I prefer The N3DSXLs controls over the PSViTAs by 100 times.
4. The PSViTA scene Will be very small. Dont expect much activity in there.

Perhaps Im wrong, lets see in 2 years IF there are any functional N64 emulator for example.

You're failing to mention the Vita 1000's OLED screen compared to the N3DSXL's 240p screen. It's not even comparable, I'd much rather play emulators on the Vita's screen than that N3DSXL screen that's IPS but covered in annoying scanlines. Even the Vita 2000's LCD screen is better than any 3DS screen.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
You're failing to mention the Vita 1000's OLED screen compared to the N3DSXL's 240p screen. It's not even comparable, I'd much rather play emulators on the Vita's screen than that N3DSXL screen that's IPS but covered in annoying scanlines. Even the Vita 2000's LCD screen is better than any 3DS screen.

240p is a good resolution to have your screen at if you're emulating. Having a 1:1 pixel mapping keeps things looking sharp and vibrant.

That's the only good thing I have to say about the screen on any 3DS though.

Reactions: SMVB64

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
240p is a good resolution to have your screen at if you're emulating. Having a 1:1 pixel mapping keeps things looking sharp and vibrant.

That's the only good thing I have to say about the screen on any 3DS though.
Well I played Donkey Kong Country 2 on both my N3DSXL and Vita and the difference was pretty staggering, the colors were much more vibrant and colorful on the OLED. But then again I'm a heathen who likes to stretch the picture to cover the entire N3DSXL and Vita screens so I don't care much for 1:1 pixel perfect graphics.

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For retrogaming psvita will be a lot better than N3DS even PSP perform better for gba / snes emulation. I also have a 3DSXL and you can't compare them. Even in PSP3K ( brite ) screen is better. 3DS = pokemon for me xD

Last edited by chocoboss,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As far as the homebrew scene goes, a console is only going to be as good as the scene that surrounds it. The DS wasn't exactly a powerhouse, but it was a great homebrew format because it was well supported by the scene and was a success despite it's hardware. The PSP, Wii, 3DS etc. are all great homebrew formats, but this is entirely thanks to the efforts of the scene rather than the hardware itself. Indeed, it did take quite a while for the 3DS scene to actally take off. By contrast, the Wii U scene has been extremely slow moving (iso loaders aside) despite the brilliant efforts of people like brienj almost single-handedly keeping the Wii U scene afloat.

The Vita scene, which everybody expected to take off with Rejuvenate, was completely dead until HEHkaku 'rejuvenated' it. It didn't matter that the Vita was more powerful than the 3DS, the scene was still dead until 2 weeks ago. It's early days yet, but we should all be pleased by how quickly the scene is taking off and how much homebrew we already have, It's looking great so far, we have reason to feel positive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)