Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?

Of course you can... I have VHBL set up through Growlanser (Which is a shame, because I love that game. Guess I could switch now, though).
I tried doing it on Pinball Heroes. Didn't want to work. Tried it several times, no dice.
When I tried it on the LocoRoco demo, it worked on the first try.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The HENKaku site features FTPVita.
Is this only to make the lib more known or is there another reason? (wonder since the hack contains a ftpd)

Last edited by VitaType,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The site HENKaku site features FTPVita.
Is this only to make the lib more known or is there another reason? (wonder since the hack contains a ftpd)
FTPVita existed as homebrew anyway for Rejuvenate. There's no reason for end users to use it because moleculeshell already containn an FTP server, but the source code may be useful for developers.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I buy a Vita for this? Which one, the original or the slim, and where can I get it the cheapest? Will there potentially be a way to have a MicroSD card inside a game cart which we can use with this, as @the_miah mentioned? I don't want to buy an overpriced memory card.
Just repeating my question since it clearly got buried

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1) You can buy a Vita if you want. May as well get one now while it's still easy to update to 3.60.
2) Doesn't really matter which version you get. The original version has a superior OLED screen. The smaller one is lighter and has 1GB internal memory (though this is not recognised by Henkaku so you'll still need a memory card, which I think disables the internal storage anyway).
3) Don't expect MicroSD card support anytime soon, the MagicGate encryption needs cracking. Unfortunately, Vita memory cards are not cheap.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FTPVita existed as homebrew anyway for Rejuvenate. There's no reason for end users to use it because moleculeshell already containn an FTP server, but the source code may be useful for developers.

I see. Was just wondering because the site looks so professional as they really is for endusers only.

Edit: See one post above.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) You can buy a Vita if you want. May as well get one now while it's still easy to update to 3.60.
2) Doesn't really matter which version you get. The original version has a superior OLED screen. The smaller one is lighter and has 1GB internal memory (though this is not recognised by Henkaku so you'll still need a memory card, which I think disables the internal storage anyway).
3) Don't expect MicroSD card support anytime soon, the MagicGate encryption needs cracking. Unfortunately, Vita memory cards are not cheap.
But it has been cracked with Cobra right?

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But it has been cracked with Cobra right?

No, Cobra isn't working with 3.60.
It wasn't a crack at all.
Everytime you start a game there is a crypto challenge from the system to the card, I think.
They just transmitted the result from this challenge over the internet (got them from a real card which was put into a system for sharing purpose).

Last edited by VitaType,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Cobra isn't working with 3.60.
It wasn't a crack at all.
Everytime you start a game there is a crypto challenge from the system to the card, I think.
They just sended the result from this challenge over the internet (got them from a real card which was put into a system for sharing porpos)
Oh, riiiiiight.
Either way, the encryption shouldn't matter, since we have full filesystem access, right? I'm not asking it to be used for games, just homebrew. couldn't HENkaku just read it directly?

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, riiiiiight.
Either way, the encryption shouldn't matter, since we have full filesystem access, right? I'm not asking it to be used for games, just homebrew. couldn't HENkaku just read it directly?

I think the Vita is decrypting everything on the fly and never stores the decrypted stuff on the filesystem. (could be wrong, but would wonder me if the do it differently).
So, i guess no.

Homebrew for the Vita natively exists: http://haxxey.com/vpkmirror/ and here https://henkaku.xyz/showcase/
Edit: And this for PSP Homebrew http://wololo.net/2016/07/29/tutorial-installing-vhbl-custom-bubble-via-henkaku-firmware-3-60/ or here http://hackinformer.com/2016/07/29/psvita-pstv-how-to-install-vhbl-bubble-on-fw3-60-with-henkaku-変革/

Last edited by VitaType,

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Vita is decrypting everything on the fly and never stores the decrypted stuff on the filesystem. (could be wrong, but would wonder me if the do it differently).
So, i guess no.

Homebrew exists: http://haxxey.com/vpkmirror/
Pardon my noobiness, but, like I said, couldn't HENkaku just read it directly, if it has access to the filesystem? It wouldn't need to be decrypted, right? It could just be read directly.
Sorry, I come from the 3DS scene ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Swiftloke,

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too add, one thing better about the PSP2k besides being lighter is that they can also be charged / data transfer by a mini-usb in exchange of OLED

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu