Yifan Lu Announces HENKaku - A New Native Vita Homebrew Enabler for 3.60.

Earlier today, Yifan Lu, a well-known member of the Vita hacking scene famous for the Rejuvenate hack for the Dev Assistants, has announced that a new (native!) Vita homebrew enabler for the latest firmware version, as of writing (3.60), will be arriving tomorrow at "9:00AM UTC".

The new hack, known as "HENKaku", will require the following:
  • A Vita/PSTV running 3.60
  • A memcard with at least 10MB of free space (internal memory is currently not supported!)
  • An FTP client
  • An internet connection**
**Offline support is now available! Launch the exploit straight from the email app without the need for internet access at all! See the unofficial release thread for more details. (Internet connection still required for installation)

This is a small paragraph of Yifan Lu himself explaining what the properties of this new homebrew enabler does:

HENkaku simply lets you install homebrew as bubbles in LiveArea. It is a native hack that disables the filesystem sandbox. It installs molecularShell, a fork of VitaShell that lets you access the memory card over FTP and install homebrew packages (which we create as VPK files). With vita-toolchain, developers have access to the same system features licensed developers have access to as well as undocumented features that licensed developers cannot use (including overclocking the processors).

The hack has been released at http://henkaku.me ~ Furthermore, the hack is said to be exclusive to 3.60, and there is to be no backports for the time being.

:arrow: Source: http://yifan.lu/2016/07/28/henkaku-vita-homebrew-for-everyone/

Last edited by , , Reason: Added info about offline installation.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by VitaType,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, just limits of your memory card.

Sure with app.db mod but on 3.36+ (I think), Sony disabled the package installer.
I removed some games and still get "out of memory" error.
Also tried another homebrew game which did load longer, but same "out of memory" error.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Package Installer is disabled on any current version, unless you have an IDU unit (you'll know if you have one, no you can't switch your unit).

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I think you can switch it with a private api call. Search "Idu" in the nids Json database. Not sure if it'll work though (there might be additional permission checks).

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:wtf: they really exist?
I think GodmanGen has seen one in the wild.

Actually, I think you can switch it with a private api call. Search "Idu" in the nids Json database. Not sure if it'll work though (there might be additional permission checks).
Makes sense, since the card would have to do it somehow.
Be interesting if someone was able to call it, though I think I'd rather stay as IDU.

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody grab a demo for VHBL?
Im looking at the playstation store on the vita but can't find any.
I know you can transfer through ps3 but i cant do that since my ps3 is on Rebug CFW.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can transfer through ps3 but i cant do that since my ps3 is on Rebug CFW.
RocoLoco was the only PSP demo I was able to find on the PSN store.
It's over 100MB.

Too bad you can't install VHBL on full PSP games.

Reactions: kingsora831

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're US (or NA, I think region is NA), there's the Petz Saddle Club Demo. Can't speak for other regions.
My PS3 is Rebug and I was able to transfer things to activate just fine, not sure where you get that impression.

bitcrush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
does HENKaku leave files on the vita system even after rebooting? i want to try it temporarily and im afraid sony might catch us using this.

Last edited by bitcrush,

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're US (or NA, I think region is NA), there's the Petz Saddle Club Demo. Can't speak for other regions.
My PS3 is Rebug and I was able to transfer things to activate just fine, not sure where you get that impression.

Well its not really a Rebug issue more like my ps3 is banned issue T_T lol.
But thanks i found petz saddle club, wish it was a smaller size tho. (Damn expensive vita memory cards)

Last edited by kingsora831,

dkabot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its not really a Rebug issue more like my ps3 is banned issue T_T lol.
Oh. Well, 3.60 is latest version so you should be able to install one on-device, provided you can find it.
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival also may have a demo, as noted above. I have that one downloaded as well.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can, I'm using World of Pool which is a cool 99MB for the full game. If there are no demos, it might be worth buying a cheap game for this. I recommend World of Pool for the file size.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RocoLoco was the only PSP demo I was able to find on the PSN store.
It's over 100MB.

?

Of course you can... I have VHBL set up through Growlanser (Which is a shame, because I love that game. Guess I could switch now, though).

kingsora831

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked for locoroco demo to compare sizes and its no longer available.
Seems like Petz Saddle is the only available demo (that doesnt need a ps3 to transfer).

If anyone is interested in using vhbl and hasn't gotten a demo or psp game yet, grab the Petz demo while you can.

Edit - Petz Saddle Club Demo is 171mb.

Last edited by kingsora831,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looked for locoroco demo to compare sizes and its no longer available.
Seems like Petz Saddle is the only available demo (that doesnt need a ps3 to transfer).

If anyone is interested in using vhbl and hasn't gotten a demo or psp game yet, grab the Petz demo while you can.

Loco Roco Demo is available on US store. Comes in at 188 MB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum