Yet another joystick issue thread

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DomeFossil, Aug 13, 2017.

1. DomeFossil
    OP

DomeFossil GBAtemp Regular

Jun 17, 2008
    Wherever you want me (no homo)
    I have a 1000, and I recently dissassembled it and replaced the shell with a crappy, Chinese transparent aftermarket clear shell. I had joystick ghosting issues before this on the stock shell (which is actually exactly why I replaced the shell, so the joystick would stop constantly moving down), but the new shell seems to have made it worse. I tried joysens, but it just changes the directions and still has the ghosting. I replaced the joystick and got the same sort of inputs, which suggested to me it was the silicon contact.

I have ordered a couple replacement ones but I want to be 100% sure I'm putting this contact on properly. I took the old one off to clean it, but it didn't do anything. I've forgotten how to put the contact on properly/how it should face and I couldn't find any instructions.

TL;DR does anyone have a guide or some pictures on how to replace the silicon contact of a PSP 1000? ie which way it's supposed to face, and how it's meant to be cleaned?

God, what a bad design, I have no idea why they didn't just do a ribbon cable connection from the start like they did with the later models.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: turns out it was the shell I bought - this is just a warning not to buy certain aftermarket shells. It didn't fit entirely right, which put uneven weight on the joystick. This lead to ghosting and drifting.

Last edited by DomeFossil, Aug 29, 2017