Hardware Yep, getting a custom-built desktop

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you just plug into a molex connector on your psu
theres 8 molex connectors on that psu so it shouldnt be a problem
4 pin to 3 pin Molex connectors will convert them easily. Find them on ebay for cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FAN-ADA...S_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3a79f09284
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIECES-OF...497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a737076f9
It is trivial, and I admit that it's an issue I have yet to overcome (being overly fearful/paranoid about things that clearly don't matter). I think though I can pinpoint the the moment or at least know when, where and why. I had a Raidmax case, only lasted just shy of four years. The side fans stopped working after two, which may have contributed to the motherboard getting hot enough and fry, but that happened three months ago. I'm glad you're are experience are you are, and the the advice given thus far. As for myself, I never completely built one from scratch, having no previous experience doing it all. I may have installed a CPU, RAM modules and motherboard, but not every single component. I have no experience, but now's a good a time as any for me to start. B-) At least I know what brand NOT to choose.

Better late than never. The manual for your motherboard should give you a good idea of how to attach everything step-by-step (you need to read it first before doing anything). Current motherboards come with posters which illustrate these steps as well. I built my first rig in 2007, and then 4 more after that. It's all about trial and error. On my first build, I had 3 motherboards that came in DOA and fourth one had two memory sockets that were DOA (which I eventually RMA’d with the manufacturer). I could have given up when receiving my first mobo that was DOA, but I stuck with it, accumulated much knowledge by learning from my experiences, I then applied that knowledge into building my first Hackintosh, and aside from reading the text book, I knew enough to pass the A+ test and receiving my CompTIA A+ certification. You have to be patient when it comes to building rigs, because you may not get it right the first time, and it may not be your fault some of the time. I guarantee you that you’ll gain a sense of satisfaction and independence, knowing that you put something together that is solid to your own liking/customization without relying on purchasing a mainstream model PC with factory-based specs and it will be well worth it in the long run.

S/N: I got the following fans for my case and passive heat sink in Oct 2010 for around $18 (shipping included) and they're still going strong today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8I474/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 pin to 3 pin Molex connectors will convert them easily. Find them on ebay for cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FAN-ADA...S_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item3a79f09284
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PIECES-OF...497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a737076f9

Better late than never. The manual for your motherboard should give you a good idea of how to attach everything step-by-step (you need to read it first before doing anything). Current motherboards come with posters which illustrate these steps as well. I built my first rig in 2007, and then 4 more after that. It's all about trial and error. On my first build, I had 3 motherboards that came in DOA and fourth one had two memory sockets that were DOA (which I eventually RMA’d with the manufacturer). I could have given up when receiving my first mobo that was DOA, but I stuck with it, accumulated much knowledge by learning from my experiences, I then applied that knowledge into building my first Hackintosh, and aside from reading the text book, I knew enough to pass the A+ test and receiving my CompTIA A+ certification. You have to be patient when it comes to building rigs, because you may not get it right the first time, and it may not be your fault some of the time. I guarantee you that you’ll gain a sense of satisfaction and independence, knowing that you put something together that is solid to your own liking/customization without relying on purchasing a mainstream model PC with factory-based specs and it will be well worth it in the long run.

S/N: I got the following fans for my case and passive heat sink in Oct 2010 for around $18 (shipping included) and they're still going strong today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8I474/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, in essence there are a some things for me to gather from this post; one, for not to worry so freakin' much if the fans are at full speed all the time (since I don't need a fan controller) and two, this will help me gain the experience necessary when it comes to building rigs now and in the future. For the fans themselves, is it perfectly safe to daisy chain them and then plug the fans into the right molex cable? Since the PSU is modulated, it will help save space and only let me plug in what I have to, helping it look a lot cleaner. *Sigh of relief* Thanks everyone for clearing that up, I was getting frustrated for no reason whatsoever.:lol:

Edit: Holy derp...is my face red, this motherboard already has three four-pin connectors for chassis fans.:shy: Again, I won't be able to control the speed, but they should last a long time despite being full speed, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

To quote the connection types

"1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)"

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the motherboard already supports four-pin fans, is it necessary to use molex connectors? I'm just wondering is all. I'm getting really confused as to what I need and how to set it up. :wacko:

Motherboards have 3-pin male connections. The PSU has 4-pin male connections on them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the case that you said you are trying to get already has fans, and those fans have 4 pin connection male cables. If you are trying to customize fan speeds/monitor your temps thru your motherboard, then your remedy to connect your fans to the motherboard is by converting the 4-pin female connection of fans to a 3-pin connecton using the 4-pin to 3-pin molex adapter I provided in the link above.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for what purpose? if they are already running full speed there shouldnt be temp issues, you can still monitor temps and using the adapter all you are doing is plugging a 3 pin fan connector into the board and you still wont have pwm support

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for what purpose? if they are already running full speed there shouldnt be temp issues, you can still monitor temps and using the adapter all you are doing is plugging a 3 pin fan connector into the board and you still wont have pwm support

I was speaking of adjusting the fans so that they don't run at full speed if they run too loud for the OP.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The motherboard supports four-pinned fans from the list of connector types listed on Newegg's website, meaning the fans that have four pins will work just fine and can be controlled via the BIOS, therefore I have no need of a fan controller (as it's an extra cost I don't need to spend money on). As for keeping at max speed, I'd think they would wear out faster would they not?

I was speaking of adjusting the fans so that they don't run at full speed if they run too loud for the OP.

I need to establish that the motherboard does in fact have three four-pinned ports for the fans, as well as the chassis fans, so since they're both four-pinned, they should work without having an adapter. As for keeping the speed reduced, the noise isn't an issue since my apartment is loud anyway, so that's not an issue. The types of connectors are as follows

1 x COM port(s) connector(s)
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
--->3x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin) <---
1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x System panel(s) 1 x MemOK! button(s)
1 x EPU switch(es) 1 x GPU Boost switch(es)
1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s)

Therefore, the four-pinned fans and motherboard should work together without the need of anything else other than the connectors that come with the ATX case. I don't need to adjust the fan speed, but since they're four-pinned, there still should be an option to adjust the speed via the BIOS.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I just want to make sure there's no confusion. Sorry if I came across as being one:cry:

Once more, the motherboard supports three case fan ports, but they are four-pinned connectors meaning the case fans, which are also four-pinned, should plug in without issue, and can be controlled via BIOS settings. Noise isn't a deal-breaker for me. Will the fans still last a long time even if set at near or max speed?

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can disregard the molex connector posts I made earlier...

The case fans should last you a while. This was the case I used on my first rig was:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

I didn't care to change out any of the fans in it and they lasted as long as I had the case (3 yrs). This is the case on my current rig:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121UV1E/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with two 120mm fans, one in the front and another in the back. I bought these fans, which I discussed in a earlier post:
My passive heat sink required (2) 120mm fans so I chose to change out the one in the back because it was red and did match the color of the fan in the front or my side panel fan (which I changed as well).

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can disregard the molex connector posts I made earlier...

The case fans should last you a while. This was the case I used on my first rig was:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

I didn't care to change out any of the fans in it and they lasted as long as I had the case (3 yrs). This is the case on my current rig:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121UV1E/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with two 120mm fans, one in the front and another in the back. I bought these fans, which I discussed in a earlier post:
My passive heat sink required (2) 120mm fans so I chose to change out the one in the back because it was red and did match the color of the fan in the front or my side panel fan (which I changed as well).

Well, sorry for flipping out like that, I had no right to act like a jerk and/or dick to you guys. That's a nice looking case, but I need to get it elsewhere since it just barely ran out of stock/discontinued on Newegg, but Amazon still has them, so I can get it there if need be. Thanks again! Good thing the fans are easily replaceable

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Full speed? See I figure, it they're full speed, cooling should be that much more efficient. Either that or liquid cooling, but I don't know a damn thing about that, its reliability, etc.
Just and FYI I've seen your posts before, and if you are a pirate you might not like the new UEFI motherboards...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just and FYI I've seen your posts before, and if you are a pirate you might not like the new UEFI motherboards...
"Secure boot" is an option in the motherboard to lock the bootloader from changes.

It's akin to the "lock" switch on SD cards, in that it's a toggle.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying it's not an issue, you turn it off in the BIOS, and it's not doing anything. Most of the concern about it was bullshit, people misunderstanding what it is.

Well, I never heard of UEFI, so I'll turn it off since it will serve no purpose for my needs. I'm getting my tax refund this week, but I'll likely order the parts at the beginning of next week (preferably Monday).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
UEFI is the replacement for BIOS, "secure boot" is just the name of one of the features that people keep misunderstanding (like Superfetch).

UEFI is actually on a ton of motherboards, just it uses the same interface as the older BIOS method, so a lot of people don't realize they've been using machines with it already.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UEFI is the replacement for BIOS, "secure boot" is just the name of one of the features that people keep misunderstanding (like Superfetch).

UEFI is actually on a ton of motherboards, just it uses the same interface as the older BIOS method, so a lot of people don't realize they've been using machines with it already.

That's what I meant, I'll turn secure boot off since I won't need it.

I'll post one final revision of my custom desktop just to make sure all is well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.