OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

Android users often complain that their devices lack a dedicated controller, after all, who wants to use touch screen controllers for experiences which were clearly designed with a physical controller in mind. In an effort to meet this need, many companies have released Bluetooth compatible controllers, while some devs have released homebrew which allows gamers to connect popular console controllers to their Android devices. The XOPAD aims to meet the needs of consumers by offering a dedicated controller with USB connectivity. For more information on this device be sure to navigate your browser to their Kickstarter campaign.

Features:
  • USB game controller
  • Audio Integration
  • Phone Charger
  • Full Analog Joystick

:arrow: XOPAD Kickstarter Campaign
:arrow: Making-of YouTube Video

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Doesn't that require the USB port to be USB Host-compatible, aka, "doesn't work with all handsets" or is USB Host a requirement for Android these days?

I think Bluetooth would be a far more versatile connection method - it would be compatible with devices that have proprietary connectors and the lag would be barely noticable if at all present at this distance.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a nice idea overall, but that design looks like the following;

"Looks like someone cut a PS3 controller in half, melted it, and then glued it onto a phone."

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's some product placement they've got going on. Not sure why I'd be playing phone games on the beach though, or in particular, why I'd have brought along a bulky gamepad, but cool idea nonetheless.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dat cleavage
megusta.png

I hope they change the plastic they are using, its looks very cheap in the photos

Reactions: 431unknown

CyborGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
While I'd love to upgrade from my Xperia Play, I'm not sure I can give up the convenience of having an actual portable controller over something that bulky. That is most certainly not going to fit into my pocket.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get the point until they said more battery power.

A lot of these controllers. I wish we have a full merger with phones and handhelds from the big two already.

Where this

or

this?

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a nice idea overall, but that design looks like the following;

"Looks like someone cut a PS3 controller in half, melted it, and then glued it onto a phone."

That's like every USB gamepad ever, I think the idea is that you can have the controller and phone in one piece so you don't have to fumble around with a screen holder setup.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like every USB gamepad ever, I think the idea is that you can have the controller and phone in one piece so you don't have to fumble around with a screen holder setup.

Oh hey, I don't mean to "diss" it so to speak. But just the curves, and dullness of the finish. (Now as a fan of shiny things if they did a shiny finish instead of that sort of cheap plastic look. Again not dissing it, as I don't have it so I can't judge it. But from my view right now the plastic used doesn't look all that great.) The DSi had that look it was a matte(?) finish? So people are fans of it, but I personally find it boring and unattractive. (Although not a fingerprint magnet.)

Not sure if the images on the KickStarter page are of the prototype, but that's what I'm basing my views on.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a problem. USB OTG doesn't support charging while the phone is in host mode without kernel modifications, which requires root/custom recovery to attain, and not even all phones have a USB OTG+charging hack in their kernel. So unless these guys are fucking MAGICAL, and I'm about to look at the kickstarter page to read into it more, this can't game AND charge your phone at the same time.

Didn't know this was going to support AOA as well. Take back what I said, partially.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.