Hacking XKEY - R problems not showing "mixed media content" nor detecting any USB media

zombieboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hola/Hi :)

I got a PHAT with a newly purchased XKEY-R, I have no external .
I Passthru mode, can play orginal DVD (stock 17489 dash).
I got the DVD key (and CFW) from a guy that previously had made a LT+2.
That I reverted to stock since XKEY needs OFW /stock I believe?
So I know key is valid because I have also used the same key and CFW to make a OFW in djungleflasher to put a stock dash 9199 thereafter update it to 17489.

In Emulation mode, I see no ISO menu.
In Emulation mode, I see "Close Tray"..."Reading disk". After 3 seconds it stops reading disk.
BUT thereafter the expected "mixed disk" is NOT seen" NOR is any E64 msg seen. Instead a message "Opening Tray is seen". The DVD tray, as expected, is not ejected but the "Reading disk" is only shown on teh normal xbox screen"

In Emulation mode, 3 different USB disks have been tested. All with NTFS (GPT). All with a "games" directory in root.
A) 32GB Memory stick, B) 500 GB with external power, C) 2 TB with powered from USB.

Only a red diode on xkey is alight all the time (is this expected?). NO blue diode.

The stock 02510C firmware.bin was spoofed with my key and was put on xkey MicroSD as seen in attached screenshot.
I have not reformated the MicroSD or put any "rootfs" & "uImage". As far I understand this is already on the other partitions on the MicroSd , and thus should not be modified?

DVD Model: Philips DG-16-D2S
Dashboard : 17489
F/W : 02510C.

One thing I find a bit odd looking at djungleflasher output is that the serial on the actual DVD hardware is different from what is in the Djungleflasher. Having said that, it seems to affect little, since the OFW manages to operate without any problems on orginal DVDs, and I flashed the OFW myself using same key that is on the XKEY MIcroSD Memory.

Had there been problem with the firmware.bin on XKEY MicroSD , wouldn't I have seen some for of errormsg?

I guess since XKEY is really an Unix server maybe there is a way to connect to it on telnet and find out whats going on (some for of error message)?

In Passthru mode, I also has noticed that on the USB dongle I cannot read a FAT32 USB memory stick ( which I can do on a orginal PHAT). So it apears that the KXEY itself is affecting the USB port, even in Passthru.

I noticed too that there is NO problem with the USB dongle as far as a distance between the plastics and connector leads, which I have read you can cut up 1mm. But as stated in my case there is ample with distance, no problem with connecting to USB leads.

Muchas Gracias/Many thanks for help - I'm clueless :wacko:,
zombieboy

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 558

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You have the original FW on your DVD drive?

The firmware on your Xkey must be converted.
Load your DVD dump as source in Jungleflasher and load a stock firmware as the target, the stock firmware must match your drive (02510c).
Spoof the keys and save your target firmware.
Name it "firmware.bin" and save it to your microSD of your Xkey.

You also must have the configuration file present on the USB drive.
Both on the HDD and on the microSD, you must set MenuISO on in the config file.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

zombieboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you DinohScene for quick answer !

I thought I had done exactly that apart from the ISOMenu. But the ISO Menu is optional, right?

If ISOMenu had not been found, I should use the build in "Picture viewer", right? Or is ISOMenu compulsary?

First I had a LT+ 2 with a patched CFW (Changed/CrackFW) that I converted into a OriginalFW. Had that process not worked I had not even been able to read orginal DVDs, right? So yes, I have orginal FW , you can say.

I was thinking, maybe I also need to spoof the serialnumber so it match up? But again, it don't seem to affect orginal DVD communication.

Also I tested today to remove the MicroSD and diode flashed blue. So when inserted, it has definitely read the MicroSD successfully, since the blue light went out and only red diode is alight.

BR,
zombieboy

zombieboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you DinohScene you resolved it! :grog:
After I had put xkey.cfg on both the USB drive and on SDMicro , ISO USB media store is now detected and I see the the ISOs in Picture Viewer. I also play isos successfully(except for those in wrong DVD region of course).

I must attest loading and detecting "mixed media content" is very slow, i think I wait over one minute. Are there any way to speed up load times (apart from getting an external SSD Disk)?

Anyways, great this finally worked, I already have a few DVDs which I no longer can play due to scratches.

I was thinking of changing the DVD (LiteOn) drive from OFW to CFW - LT3+ on it too.
So that I can play physical backup DVD's too, not just ISO's from USB.

If so, should the firmware.bin on xkey MicroSD be OFW (not CFW) also ? I guess it need?
Are there different LT3+ firmware for different DVD models?

(A non-important side note: I find it a bit strange design in xkey not to show slightest error (msgs), if wrongly configured? Maybe with a different light pattern on/off sequence, a SOS like signal ;-) , on the blue diode they could have implemented better trouble-shooting possibilities.)

Ones again, many thanks to you Sir! :)
zombieboy

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sweet~
No prob.

Why would you want DVD based backups when you have the ability to run them from externals?
Not only is it easier but also less costly and less time consuming.
Also, Format externals to EXT3 or EXT4, that speeds it up.
NTFS is rather slow but eh SSDs don't speed it up, it's still tied to USB 2.0

Xkey is meant to work in one way and that way only.
Anything other then that it just refuses to work.
Besides, it's fairly simple, it isn't as complex as putting a PC together.

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And here again trying to get a game to work without success.
I don't get the "Mixed Content", just "Open/Close Tray".

I put the .cfg file in the root, got a folder named "games" and add the game iso there.
The USB Flash drive is formatted with NTFS.

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well i never really did anything since last time, meaning i never played anything.
I just wanted to set it all up, then i put the 360 aside till now when i need to play a game on it.

So i didn't have the USB set up, but as it wasn't that much to do i would assume i can't really fail.
I really hope it's not some connection on the xkey to the usb that has been messed up, not sure if you can troubleshoot that easy.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Other then reinstalling the Xkey FW (don't forget to put your configured file on there with MenuISO enabled) and putting the same file on the root of your USB.

Other then that, double checking the FCC cables from the Xkey to the USB dongle, there's nothing much to it.

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Okay now it works after restarting the 360, i use exfat now.
Weird, but another thing, i read around and ppl seems to say that NTFS and ExFAT is slow on xkey and one should use ext4.

Is there a way to format that on Windows?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, the config file gets copied along with the Xkey firmware.

There's probably some tools to format and open ext4 on Windows.
Idk what tho.

Also, the slow load on NTFS is due to the amount of games it indexes, the more games, the slower it loads (game loading etc remains the same)

zerowalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah okay, thought it affected the game loading, that the xkey itself was poorly optimized on NTFS etc, but as i got like 2 games it's no issue then:)

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Perhaps you got a shitty dive?
Better late than never... Perhaps I do. Or maybe I actually know what the hell I'm saying and tested most of the supported FS on the damn thing.
BTW, even the devs of the device recommend EXT2/3/4 for better loading times, compatibility and less stuttering.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Better late than never... Perhaps I do. Or maybe I actually know what the hell I'm saying and tested most of the supported FS on the damn thing.
BTW, even the devs of the device recommend EXT2/3/4 for better loading times, compatibility and less stuttering.

No need to be cocky.

Me brother has been using a 2TB NTFS drive for a few years, same performance as retail games installed on the HDD.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
No need to be cocky.

Me brother has been using a 2TB NTFS drive for a few years, same performance as retail games installed on the HDD.
I'm sorry. But you were the one with an attitude on your first post. Saying that my drive is shitty just because YOU haven't noticed any performance degradation on certain file system?
Anyway, EXT2/3/4 is the best you can get (4 if you have the extra space, 2 if you don't need or want the "extra" features. Which speed up things a bit TBH) but either of those are miles ahead NTFS or ANY other format regarding the xk3y.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father