Hacking xk3y (config) update broke my HDD, possible to use USB stick?

Skyrider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Few weeks ago, I attempted to update the xk3y by putting the official firmware update file(s) on my HDD where the config file is located as well. Seeing it was quite old and I haven't updated it in like, forever. But Oddly enough, it completely broke my HDD (tick sounds) and I'm actually positively convinced it was caused by the firmware update, god knows how.

Question is, does the xk3y config file have to be on the same location as the root of the games? Eg, can I put the files on a USB stick instead, and keep the games separated on another USB HDD?

Last edited by Skyrider,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few weeks ago, I attempted to update the xk3y by putting the official firmware update file(s) on my HDD where the config file is located as well. Seeing it was quite old and I haven't updated it in like, forever. But Oddly enough, it completely broke my HDD (tick sounds) and I'm actually positively convinced it was caused by the firmware update, god knows how.

Question is, does the xk3y config file have to be on the same location as the root of the games? Eg, can I put the files on a USB stick instead, and keep the games separated on another USB HDD?
A ticking sound on an HDD, its RARELY caused by a software.

You can try to read this, it might help you:

Some causes of hard drive clicking sounds are:

Skyrider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A ticking sound on an HDD, its RARELY caused by a software.
The HDD itself already has been returned under warranty, but thanks. I'm mentioned that I was convinced of it because it was working just fine without any issues (also smart check on the same day) and then 5 min after I attempted to update the xkey, the HDD broke down. No system (pc, laptop, etc) could see the HDD. Not even the official HDD software, so firmware update was also out of the question.

All is fine as I got a new HDD, still curious if it's possible to separate the config file on a normal stick, while keeping the games on the HDD.

Last edited by Skyrider,

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe you need to have the config file on the hdd with your games. If it's just updating your configuration. Like using is menu or not. Then if I recall correctly. It saves that to the micro SD card you put into your xkey. So just slap your updated file on a USB. Pop it in (I have a remote which tells me updating/finished)

I suppose it would also depend on what you are trying to do

Also i do not remember the last time I had to update my xkey

Last edited by DarkCrudus,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't believe you need to have the config file on the hdd with your games.

Last time I dealt with an Xkey is quite a while ago.
Folder called GAMES and configuration file on the root.

Edit: just double checked.
Config file is only needed on the HDD if you want to modify the settings.
Then again, it's only a 1KB file so why not keep it on there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end