• Thread starter Deleted-19228
  • Start date
  • Views 20,937
  • Replies 189
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
You're ignoring Torment, BG2, Mass Effect I, Fallout I & II, Arcanum, KOTOR I & II (with patches), Witcher I && II, Vampire Bloodlines, Arcanum, and likely a host of others, while grouping great stories with Dragon Quest, FF XII, Bravely Default, etc.

My point is what critics have been saying, eastern games that got to the west haven't innovated much on either the combat-focused games or the story-focused ones, although the former have definitely had good games with interesting mechanics come out, unlike the latter ones with good stories, IMHO. And they still have tons of pointless random encounters instead of being a shorter more cohesive game.

Ah yes I did overlook those, my bad.

Those all focus quite heavily on story (Though I've not played them all), those are all great examples of a solid blend IMHO, and also I think are better games because of it (personal opinion of course).

JRPGS do contain a lot of random encounters, but games by companies like Falcom don't contain this (at least Ys and The Legend of Heroes), Final Fantasy 12 onwards wasn't random battles either, I do enjoy random battles but I like them to be optional, and so enemies visible in the field are much preferable to me. But I don't think the random battles stop the game being short, I mean even if you use cheatcodes to turn off all the random battles in most JRPGS you can still play for quite a long time, though I would say its shorter, noticeably so, but doesn't go down from like 40 hours to 20 hours for example. But I would say you'd lose 5 or so hours. I've never actually tested in a JRPG if the in-game timers actually count time spent in Random Battles or not, I'd be interested to know if they did.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with most of the Big Name Weastern RPGs like any of the elder scrolls games are...

It's up to the fans to fix them.

Seriously... any... ANY Time I hear someone mnetion Elder Scrolls it's always falllowed by "But you -have- to get "this mod" or "that mode" or it sucks." and it's even heavily included with games like Baulder's gate. Why is it that Western RPGs need Mods for people to actually play them?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bugs that i've had in my ~40hrs gameplay with v1.1:

+ Slowdown in a few key battles
+ Sound stopped after pausing the game (standby)
+ Game froze switching map after pausing the game (standby)
+ Glitch in Battle on a bridge hovering mid in the air
+ Glitch in Battle after all my comrades died, opponents simply walked away leaving me alone

Foresight can be realy annyoing and disturbs the Battle, most of the time the problem is solved
a few seconds later without me doing anything.

The game wasn't well made on wii, but 3ds got the worse out of it.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
JRPGS do contain a lot of random encounters, but games by companies like Falcom don't contain this (at least Ys and The Legend of Heroes), Final Fantasy 12 onwards wasn't random battles either, I do enjoy random battles but I like them to be optional, and so enemies visible in the field are much preferable to me.
Alright, they're not entirely random, but they're still something that you have to fight to get to some places and to level up (thinking more of Chrono Trigger and DQ9, with which I have more experience), so being visible doesn't make them more interesting, IMO.
Seriously... any... ANY Time I hear someone mnetion Elder Scrolls it's always falllowed by "But you -have- to get "this mod" or "that mode" or it sucks." and it's even heavily included with games like Baulder's gate. Why is it that Western RPGs need Mods for people to actually play them?
They don't, PC gamers just really like modding. Apart from games like KOTOR2, which was rushed and had a lot of cut content, they're full games. Some players just really like to add hunger, weapons, different magic balance or what have you to make the experience better for their tastes, but you don't need them. Pillars just came out with universal appraisal and no one claims it needs mods.
To me, that's like asking "why do you need to play JRPGS with low-level or magic restrictions for the game to be fun?", they're false questions.

Reactions: chartube12

Wowfunhappy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foresight can be realy annyoing and disturbs the Battle, most of the time the problem is solved a few seconds later without me doing anything.

Wouldn't this have been just as big a problem in the Wii version? I don't remember it ever happening there—I liked it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had issues getting into the story of Xenoblade. Personally ill probably wont play it on a 3DS for a long while, thanks to getting my DQ Japanese 3DS LL before the "new" ones came out. But I didnt really see the game having staying power with me. It might have been my lack of ability to grasp the combat engine correctly. This might also be my downfall with the Star Ocean games too.

It certainly sounds like fun, and makes me want to get it on 3DS, but I cant justify it, seeing as I own a Wii version, and cant get past the first 5 hours.

D

Deleted-19228

OP
Holy crap. This thread went nuts.

I ended up dealing with the localisation (haha) or lack thereof, I'm enjoying the story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.